Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
excuse me for being a n00b. im new here. :dunno

ok. so i was talking to the dealer the otherday and he was telling me about the servo located under the rear seat for the exhaust and how it opens and closes at certain rpms. he said you can disconnect the servo arm to me the valve stay open. and by doing this i can pick up a few more rmps. has n e one heard of this or tried it yet ?

-thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes you can do this, just gotta unhook the cables that go to from the servo motor to the flapper. Make sure the motor stays put and untampered or else you will throw a FI light.

·
Registered
103 Posts
not really. it will make your stock exhaust a bit louder and it will free up a tad bit of power but nothing really noticeable. Have you done the ecu jumper mod yet? that frees up A LOT of power on the top end.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no its bone stock.. im just now doing the 600mi oil change today.. what do i need for the jumper mod ?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so i was reading about the jumper mod...woudlnt disconnecting the servo arm be the same as doing the jumper mod but with out messing with the wires ? the servo will still work perfectly fine. it just wont actually do n e thing to yur exaust when disconnected.

·
Registered
144 Posts
ok so i was reading about the jumper mod...woudlnt disconnecting the servo arm be the same as doing the jumper mod but with out messing with the wires ? the servo will still work perfectly fine. it just wont actually do n e thing to yur exaust when disconnected.
Yes and no... some people on here tend to believe it also alters the fuel mapping at higher rpms to compensate for the (now detached) valve. I doubt they spent that much effort to remap the thing when they imported it but nobody has proof to either end.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I always put it this way...both mods combined are pretty much free. Stick a wire jumper in the 2 points and thats pretty much it. The flapper valve is completely free and it atleast makes your exhaust sound a bit louder. Top end power IS noticable, low end and mid range prolly not much. But for free, why not right?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jumper mod sets the ECU to euro-mode, which also alters the ignition timing, etc. In fact, even if you keep that servo connected, it doesn't use it, effectively disabling it. All in all, jumper mod is necessary, regardless of what you've done to the servo.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cool. thanks for clearin things up guys. im not gunna bother doing either untill a get to around 1400mi just to be on the safe side. cuz only having 600mi on my bike, i really havent even gotten to see what kind of power it has yet....stupid break in period sucks...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Totally agree on break-in, I just go out and warm it up then go up and down gears like nobody's business, loading engine and whatnot. No reason to wait until 1400, everything will be nice and settled in the engine by 1000 for sure. Just progressively give it more rpms as the miles roll on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes you can do this, just gotta unhook the cables that go to from the servo motor to the flapper. Make sure the motor stays put and untampered or else you will throw a FI light.
What do you mean by Make sure the motor stays put and untampered ? :headscratch

·
Registered
115 Posts
He means to allow the servo to operate but without the cables attached. Disabling it electronically or removing it will trigger a check engine light.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The servo-motor still works in the Euro-mode (with jumper mod done) and if you check it out carefully, you will see that the exhaust valve is actually closed slightly when you accelerate, do dampen the noise, and only opens fully again when the RPM stabilise, therefore, if you uncouple the exhaust valve cables, you get less restriction on acceleration, and therefore better performance.

We in South Africa get the Euro-spec, but I have uncoupled the valve cables, gutted the rear "muffler" slightly, and I get much better pull and sound!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts