Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I helped a friend fit his bike with a Scotts damper and an Akro Evo system. Here are some pics.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
:clap Now that just kicks major assola...I love it. I want the same Akra pipe uggggg

A few questions of interest:

1) I'm sure you will get this asked a lot, but I gotta ask only for my own curiosity - why swap out the Ohlins for the Scotts? I have seen the Scotts on my friend's 05 ZX-10R, and it can get much stiffer at max clicks, but what kind of riding warrants the additional stiffness that the Ohlins cannot provide?

2) How hard was the Akra full system install? Did you have to plug in a PC3 to get it tuned in right? Any noticeable power gain? Do you have any audio clips of it?

3) I love the newspaper over the license plate - easier than photoshop :grin

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
beansbaxter said:
:clap Now that just kicks major assola...I love it. I want the same Akra pipe uggggg

A few questions of interest:

1) I'm sure you will get this asked a lot, but I gotta ask only for my own curiosity - why swap out the Ohlins for the Scotts? I have seen the Scotts on my friend's 05 ZX-10R, and it can get much stiffer at max clicks, but what kind of riding warrants the additional stiffness that the Ohlins cannot provide?

2) How hard was the Akra full system install? Did you have to plug in a PC3 to get it tuned in right? Any noticeable power gain? Do you have any audio clips of it?

3) I love the newspaper over the license plate - easier than photoshop :grin

The Ohlins wasn't strong enough. It would headshake at 130-140. I rode it and it shook on me pretty good. The Ohlins was set at max.

Install was more involved then most. There was more to take apart. No pc and he said it's running very strong with no stumbles. No sound clips.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You were getting head shake out of an '06? The only '06 I've ridden was Beans and I found it to be very stable, in particular when comparing it to the '04 I'd ridden on the track.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Turbo810 said:
The Ohlins wasn't strong enough. It would headshake at 130-140. I rode it and it shook on me pretty good. The Ohlins was set at max.

The damper won't give you headshake, it will only help if you get headshake

If the bike starts to headshake them it has a issue ( wheel/ frame alignment ?)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
That looks sweet.

As a side note... I've had my 06 up to 150-160 and never felt any kind of headshake on it at all, and my stock Ohlins is set to 14 clicks.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Install was more involved then most. There was more to take apart. No pc and he said it's running very strong with no stumbles. No sound clips.
the OEM Ohlins doesn't have very aggressive valving in it...it's basically just a damper with an Ohlins sticker.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had the 07 10 at 184 mph with the stock Ohlins at 14 clicks and no shake. I can say it did take a few too many heart thumping seconds before it got me out of a wobble at 140. i set it at 18 clicks since then. It feels it doesn't get stiff enough for certain ridin situations though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
headshakes just really let us know that we are hanging on the steering too tight..... Relax..loosening up your shoulders and tighten your abs, but yet still have a firm grip on the steering.

So firm grip on steering, but relax... It's really the riders...

I track my 07 ZX10R and I have my stock dampner set at 3 clicks and I've experienced all kinds of headshakes at speeds..

It came down to getting use to the bike, knowing how much "power" to use to grip the steering and hanging on, while going fast.... I hope this make sense.

·
Registered
653 Posts
not sure about the comments above but i was always under the impression it had to do with speed and weighting. For instance you will get a headshake as you put the front wheel down from a wheelie as it takes time for the weighting to recalibrate between yourself/bike and speed.

As for the ohlins I always have it maxed but really would like just a touch more stiffness or at least not have it maxed out to get the desired affect. I hear that you can change the oil in them and it works a treat after that. Anyone else heard this and how do I do it????

·
Registered
366 Posts
I lifted the front end once and didn't know it under hard accelleration. When it came down, the stock Ohlins kept the head shake down in what probably would've been a big tank slapper. I keep mine at full clicks.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
looks wicked

1 - 16 of 16 Posts