Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I removed the old engine and was getting ready to put a used engine I picked up when i noticed sone rust on the breather tubes? Right next to spark plug. I'm assuming it would be best to clean?
If so can i remove them with out opening the engine?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yup! After you destroy the worthless phillips screws getting them out, the tubes pull straight up and out.
Order new o-rings: see parts fiche under "Radiator" and two 6mm bolts with 8mm wrench heads, or allen heads.

Not a "breather tube" it's a "coolant tube".

Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup! After you destroy the worthless phillips screws getting them out, the tubes pull straight up and out.
Order new o-rings: see parts fiche under "Radiator" and two 6mm bolts with 8mm wrench heads, or allen heads.

Not a "breather tube" it's a "coolant tube".

Cheers!
Ok, thx for the info. And noted coolant tubes.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
yes ... also get hold of a JIS screwdriver, a Philips head won't work on JIS and only strips them

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I removed the old engine and was getting ready to put a used engine I picked up when i noticed sone rust on the breather tubes? Right next to spark plug. I'm assuming it would be best to clean?
If so can i remove them with out opening the engine?
Any help would be greatly appreciated View attachment 20154
Run the recommended anti freeze water mix distilled) this may help prevent further corrosion

·
Registered
24 Posts
"... get hold of a JIS screwdriver, a Philips head won't work on JIS and only strips them"

good point! Looks like they already started to strip.

"Run the recommended anti freeze water mix distilled) this may help prevent further corrosion"

...and if there's that much rust and corrosion at the top pipes, suggest further disassembly and cleaning.
I usually take out the radiator and the thermostat housing with two hoses, and run clean water through them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Uh, wait a minute! All due respect to @Old-n-fast , but I would hesitate to introduce any acid mix inside one of my motors,
unless it's completely disassembled, and I can be sure to get every bit of acid cleaned out. Could be I worry too much, but...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Uh, wait a minute! All due respect to @Old-n-fast , but I would hesitate to introduce any acid mix inside one of my motors,
unless it's completely disassembled, and I can be sure to get every bit of acid cleaned out. Could be I worry too much, but...
He is only circulating acid in the coolant passages. Then flushing. As long as the flush is thorough and he replaces the soft materials affected I don't see a problem.

·
Registered
281 Posts
This is an '86 engine that had overheating issues so I thought it worth the risk. That hose is connected to a faucet and the after flush was thorough, like several gallons and clear. I should have took a pic of the scale that came out.

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,594 Posts
This is an '86 engine that had overheating issues so I thought it worth the risk. That hose is connected to a faucet and the after flush was thorough, like several gallons and clear. I should have took a pic of the scale that came out.
I can only imagine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts