Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. My 3k mile old 06 ZX6R has a fairly decent amount of front brake master cylinder play. even w/ the lever adjusted to number 1 (farthest out), it still pulls in a good 1/4 of the way to the bars before the brakes begin to get pressure. I have bled and bled until I'm blue in the face and it changes nothing. I bought the bike w/ 2200 miles and it has not changed one bit since the day I bought it. I've tried rigging small objects like pieces of metal between the pushrod and the inside of the lever...that works great until about 3-4 miles down the road when out of the blue, the front brakes begin to tighten up and eventually reach full lock without touching the lever. Almost like the master cylinder pumps up and needs that play for "slack". YET it never gets tight like that when I'm not trying to rig something in there. I don't mind it all that much, but with just a little brake fade when I eventually get out to tracking the bike will result in the lever getting too close to the bars for my comfort. Is this normal? the brakes work phenomenally otherwise. I've upgraded the lines and have Motul RBF660 fluid w/ ZERO air in the system. Every other bike I get on has a lever that almost instantly provides brake pressure as soon as you begin to pull. The feel is perfect...super tight once you reach that point...it's just the movement of the master cylinder pushrod to the point of pressurization of the system.

Any ideas on getting this resolved? Are all Nissin (or whatever brand that M/C is) like this on Kawis? I'm about to grab a used Gixxer or CBR M/C that won't feel like this. :rant

Thanks!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine suffers from the same, and you explained it very well, have about the same mileage too, sorry i have no answers for you but hopefully someone here helps both of us out

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm wondering if it isn't your hydraulic brake hoses flexing??
Nope, swapped to Goodridge Supersport race lines and nothing changed other than it being firmer once reaching the point of pressure. It is 100% free play in the master cylinder. But the odd part is when I rig the lever with a little 1/8" or so of material between the lever and pushrod, it's perfect......until 3-4 miles go by and out of the blue the damn brakes begin to slowly lock-up....which is beyond me why that happens.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Maybe your master cylinder is toast. Its designed to have a little free play, but not like you are describing. Its almost like your free play is intermitten :headscratch

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe your master cylinder is toast. Its designed to have a little free play, but not like you are describing. Its almost like your free play is intermitten :headscratch
Yeah, but you don't even notice that change when the lever is unmodified. The brakes feel PERFECT other than the free play. I'll start shopping ebay for a used one off a different 600, or maybe an 07 ZX6R.

·
Registered
494 Posts
If you pump the lever a couple of times does the problem go away for a short time? Or at least not seem as bad.

What you're describing is either air in the system or you've got a leak past the o-rings in the master cylinder. There's no way you should have a leak that soon, unless you've put DOT5 fluid into a DOT 3 or 4 system. Which has been known to eat seals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you pump the lever a couple of times does the problem go away for a short time? Or at least not seem as bad.

What you're describing is either air in the system or you've got a leak past the o-rings in the master cylinder. There's no way you should have a leak that soon, unless you've put DOT5 fluid into a DOT 3 or 4 system. Which has been known to eat seals.
No, it never feels any better with pumping or time. There is no possible way air is in the system because the brakes are ROCK solid once you reach the point of pressurization, which is about a 1/4 of the travel towards the grip. It feels like it should on level 5 or 6 on the adjuster, not level 1. there is no visible moisture anywhere around the master cylinder of any kind. I only run DOT 4 fluid. It's simply a tad bit of excess travel in the master cylinder before it begins to actually move fluid and apply pressure. Maybe it is a slight manufacturing issue and has been that way since new? You can get 06/07 Gixxer master cylinders on ebay all day long for under $100, even brand new. they look 100% identical except black instead of bronze. Even the lever looks identical except it's silver instead of black. Might be worth a shot??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Man mine did the same thing. I had galfer ss lines and pads and like you said, I bled them until I was blue in the face. Every other 05-06 6r I have ever rode has done the same thing. I just gave up and delt with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man mine did the same thing. I had galfer ss lines and pads and like you said, I bled them until I was blue in the face. Every other 05-06 6r I have ever rode has done the same thing. I just gave up and delt with it.
Well, I guess that's just how it's supposed to be. Thanks for the reply...at least I feel better about it now.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The only thing I've noticed with mine that the brake lever position adjuster keeps popping from 3 to 4 under heavy braking.
gammac

·
Registered
3 Posts
MIne = same. My tiny research says - these things fail, often. The eBay price reflects the demand.

Now - what OTHER master cylinder setup will fit? No reason to replace crap with new crap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts