Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, wanted to know if anyone here had experienced problems with drive-ability (ie rough or erratic at cruise speeds) after installing ANY speedo calibration device. I have tried 3 different manufacturers....

If so is there anything that can be done about it?

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Other than somehow switching into Km/hr mode and confusing me for awhile no problems with the speedhealer on my '06 14

·
16,062 Posts
Possibly tapping into the wrong wire for power?
And/or not grounded properly?
Maybe tapped into a wire that's part of the fuel system?
Just wild guesses.
Seems odd that it seems fine when you disconnect it.
Would tell me it's being connected wrong somehow.
There's a lotta wires in the harness and many look very similar
:dunno

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Possibly tapping into the wrong wire for power?
And/or not grounded properly?
Maybe tapped into a wire that's part of the fuel system?
Just wild guesses.
Seems odd that it seems fine when you disconnect it.
Would tell me it's being connected wrong somehow.
There's a lotta wires in the harness and many look very similar
:dunno
They have all been plug and play units with the weather pack type connectors that mate up to the factory harness.

Once calibrated to the bikes gearing they have all worked fine in regards to making the speedo read correctly so I am pretty sure that I am hooking it up correctly.... It's frustrating for sure...:banghead

·
Registered
773 Posts
Except on mine (2006 ZX14) I had to change one lead to the correct position in the connector even though it was a Kawasaki PnP harness. Maybe you got that part mixed up? IIRC it was a purple lead??? Don't ask me because I don't recall exactly. See Speedohealer website or refer to the installation instructions.

Seems odd that it takes 100 miles before the issue crops up?

Make sure you have good grounds.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Except on mine (2006 ZX14) I had to change one lead to the correct position in the connector even though it was a Kawasaki PnP harness. Maybe you got that part mixed up? IIRC it was a purple lead??? Don't ask me because I don't recall exactly. See Speedohealer website or refer to the installation instructions.

I have seen the ole wrong pin/connecter deal before with an air-shifter wiring harness one time so that very well could be the case, I will look into it....

The rough cruise deal usually starts to be noticeable within in the first 20 to 30 miles with some subtlety then by 100+ miles it just aggravating....

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I had a 16/43 combo.I took the 43 off and went back to the stock 41.Borrowed my wifes GPS and went to recalibrate it.Nothing worked.Tried and tried.It was like 20 MPH off.So I went to to the Gearing Commander site.I have the 55 series rear tire so it's a little higher.At 3 grand in 6th it should be 55MPH.4 grand 74 5 grand 90.
So I unplugged the S/H and replugged the 2 factory plugs.3 grand 55 4 grand 75 5 grand 91.So it's off only 1 mph with the 16 front tooth and the taller tire.Didn't have a ground.I just took it out and put it in my toolbox.
Craig

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try one of these speedDRD
Thanks, but my most recent attempt was with a 12oclock unit.... It did the same crap... yellow box was the first one, I think, second was the healtech unit and then the 12oclock one...

My buddy read somewhere about it being specific issue to the 06 but we haven't been able to find out why or what to do about it.... arrgghh...

·
Registered
132 Posts
The TRE fools the ecu into thinking its in 6th gear all the time. I tried searching for speedo healer issues only ones I found had to do with speedo healer and TRE together. So maybe the two clash

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The TRE fools the ecu into thinking its in 6th gear all the time. I tried searching for speedo healer issues only ones I found had to do with speedo healer and TRE together. So maybe the two clash
Gotcha... Thanks...

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Except on mine (2006 ZX14) I had to change one lead to the correct position in the connector even though it was a Kawasaki PnP harness.

:headscratch, I just put a SH on my 06 last week, worked exactly as stated, completely plug and play, so simple even I could do it. :crackup

Must be a TRE problem with both being used? :squint

OP

1 - 19 of 19 Posts