Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday afternoon, rode to lunch and when I parked, I see all this oil on my triple tree and running down my frame. I call my local Kawi dealer to make an appointment, then bring it to them later that same afternoon.

They tell me they can't even call corporate till Monday. They won't remove the dampener and release the bike back to me while they wait for shipping of the new part because they "can't remove any safety equipment". I think that's horseshit since it had no fluid in it, it wasn't doing anything except looking pretty.

So here is sit, no bike till at least the end of next week so they can put another stock POS on. They did tell me that I could remove it, but then Kawi may not warranty the dampener. I called Ohlins and left a message on the voicemail, to see if I could handle the warranty directly through them, we'll see if they call back. I'm pretty much stuck waiting on the dealer or Ohlins to call back so I thought I'd post up about the leak.

The fluid was coming from the right hand side where the piston goes in and out. I'd say the whole dampener drained in less than 15 miles with almost no turning.

I'll update as they are available.

FYI the bike has 4700 miles on it. 99% straight line riding.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
That sucks. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
+1, i would be pissed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the update:

3pm Monday, I called the dealer to see if they were able to order the part from Kawi and when I should expect it to arrive. He tells me that he hasn't been able to get in touch with anyone at Kawi as of yet and that he'd try again and call me back. He calls me back 10 minutes later and tells me that "EVERYONE" must be out to lunch so he doesn't have an answer for me.

I tell him that I'm coming to pick up my bike and I'll handle the warranty through Ohlins myself. A representative from Ohlins had called me at 2pm today (returning my call from Friday night left on their voice mail), he informed me they would fix the item and all I had to do was to ship it back to them. I also asked about re-valving the unit to be more like the aftermarket unit they sell. He told me that it was possible but the service department would have to work that out with me after they receive the defective unit.

I'm going to pick up the bike now, then I'll remove the dampener from the bike and ship it to Ohlins tomorrow morning. I'll update as they are available.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just picked up an '06 and I can tell that the stock Ohlins damper is very very weak, even at full clicks. So, I personally am probably gonna scrap it for a GPR or Scotts. Unless of course, they will revalve it to be something other than the OEM junker it is...

Please, keep us up to speed with what Ohlins wants to charge you (for a replacement revalve... not just fixing the OEM stuff) and how it feels when you get it back.

·
Registered
60 Posts
After reading a road test report, and comparing my Ohlins' performance to my other bike's Hyperpro, I decided to switch. The Ohlins may be quite adequate, but I felt it was worth $300 for peace of mind.

The Hyperpro used the stock mounting brackets that came on the '07...and it looks awesome with the coordinating anodized color.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ok, I spoke at length with the folks at Ohlins. They are fixing my damper under warranty but only to stock specs. They are using Hi Performance 7.5 weight fluid and use a vacuum bleeder to make sure there is no air in the reservoir. I think that explains why even 15 weight fluid is an improvement.

That being said, he said that the only difference between the Kawasaki model and their aftermarket unit was the pin inside. Due to liability, they can not and will not modify the Kawi unit and offered me a 10% discount for the other model directly from them for a little over 300 plus shipping.

Now I did tell him about how people were changing the fluid for thicker weights he didn't think there was any negative effects except the fact that without the vacuum bleeder air is probable. I do know that over at the triumph675.net forums they are replacing their fluid as well but doing it by completely submerging the damper in to the thicker fluid and pumping it till the old fluid is out then moving to another pan with clean fluid and pumping again.

Wish I could have had better news, so what does everyone else think?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ok, I spoke at length with the folks at Ohlins. They are fixing my damper under warranty but only to stock specs. They are using Hi Performance 7.5 weight fluid and use a vacuum bleeder to make sure there is no air in the reservoir. I think that explains why even 15 weight fluid is an improvement.

That being said, he said that the only difference between the Kawasaki model and their aftermarket unit was the pin inside. Due to liability, they can not and will not modify the Kawi unit and offered me a 10% discount for the other model directly from them for a little over 300 plus shipping.

Now I did tell him about how people were changing the fluid for thicker weights he didn't think there was any negative effects except the fact that without the vacuum bleeder air is probable. I do know that over at the triumph675.net forums they are replacing their fluid as well but doing it by completely submerging the damper in to the thicker fluid and pumping it till the old fluid is out then moving to another pan with clean fluid and pumping again.

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674

·
Registered
116 Posts

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567

·
Registered
116 Posts

Ask your Ohlins dealer use #1309-01 to rebuild the damper.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ask your Ohlins dealer use #1309-01 to rebuild the damper.
Is that the needle part? Either way, after talking to Brad in Service for 30 minutes, he assured me that there was no way he was going to modify it at all from what it was before. I thought maybe he was just telling me one thing but was going to do the "right" thing, but he seemed very insistent about it. He said the word comes straight from Sweden.

How am I to argue?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is that the needle part? Either way, after talking to Brad in Service for 30 minutes, he assured me that there was no way he was going to modify it at all from what it was before. I thought maybe he was just telling me one thing but was going to do the "right" thing, but he seemed very insistent about it. He said the word comes straight from Sweden.

How am I to argue?

Its the part number of the fork fluid which should be use in the damper.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Missed my chance... Called this morning, but the damper was fixed and shipped already. Will arrive tomorrow.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Missed my chance... Called this morning, but the damper was fixed and shipped already. Will arrive tomorrow.
I don't know why all the people in your country waste the money to replace the damper from Ohlins to GPR.
Why don't they change the OEM one to the Ohlins SD115(63mm stroke) or SD121(68mm stroke) directly.
It is cheaper and give a cleaner look.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't replace anything... I'm getting my stock OHLINS damper back from OHLINS fixed under warranty. OHLINS would NOT change out the internals of my stock one to the SD115 internals even though the only difference is the valve inside. OHLINS offered me a new replacement unit (SD115) for a little over $300 plus shipping. I have not ordered the replacement as I can't see paying $300 dollars for the EXACT SAME UNIT with a different pin inside!

I never mentioned anything about replacing my Ohlins for a GPR or any other brand. The stock one sucks but it's better than nothing (I know, I've been riding without a damper for 3 weeks now). I'll run the stock one till it breaks again, maybe then I'll drop the 3 bones for the replacement.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I didn't replace anything... I'm getting my stock OHLINS damper back from OHLINS fixed under warranty. OHLINS would NOT change out the internals of my stock one to the SD115 internals even though the only difference is the valve inside. OHLINS offered me a new replacement unit (SD115) for a little over $300 plus shipping. I have not ordered the replacement as I can't see paying $300 dollars for the EXACT SAME UNIT with a different pin inside!

I never mentioned anything about replacing my Ohlins for a GPR or any other brand. The stock one sucks but it's better than nothing (I know, I've been riding without a damper for 3 weeks now). I'll run the stock one till it breaks again, maybe then I'll drop the 3 bones for the replacement.
Its not the internal parts different, the look of the SD115 is totally different also.

and the price in your country is not expensive, the SD115 is asking for HK$2700(about USD$350)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is the Hyperpro on a 2007. It uses the stock damper mounting brackets.

I love that Hyperpro except the gold hardware. I hate all the gold on my bike already (forks, shock, etc) I don't see myself adding more. It's a shame because I got a quote on a RSC (active) model for a nice price.

·
Registered
515 Posts
mmm, my experiance with the stock ohlins is that it is very inadequate. someone mentioned how at full clicks its still weak, that is no joke, and on the track its really bad...I went with the GPR, its nice looking and works really well... I have heard you can really improve the stock one by just changing out the fluid, just put some heavier stuff in there...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts