Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So bee boopin down the road, duckin and weaving around corners, and then i hear it....

Usually above 25 mph, it's a constant ( WA WA ) him... seems to get worse under load... it's not the wheel bearings... im thinking a warped sprocket or busted oring in the chain... any ideas? im replacing all "drive" parts in the spring next year anyway, just wasnt sure if you've heard it before.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well........ "WA WA" certainly is not specific enough for me to make a guess, but the two things you mention can be ruled out just by checking. Look at the chain and see if there are any kinks in the links (frozen) due to lack of lube. Check the run-out of the sprocket with a dial indicator.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tires wear even ( as even as they can in maine ) and it has front tire with less than 500 miles, and the rear has about 1500 miles on it... brakes were all checked this past winter... it's still the stock chain and it's clean, but who knows how the last person took care of it... im gonna ride it the rest of the summer and replace all sprockets and the chain in the spring...

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
They still have half their life left unless it's really been whupped on. Which being a 10R is more than a little likely, but there should be some evidence of it. How do the teeth look? Have you looked at the front sprocket? If it's been powered up a lot, that's the one that would be more obvious, the rear teeth may only be a little worn but the front teeth can still be bent right over. Which is noisy.

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,270 Posts
Does sound like a chain sprocket issue. Perhaps the first 7k they were not taken care of properly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
as far as it being beat on... i dont think so... the guy i bought it from put 500 miles on it, and the guy he bought it from "drove it like a scooter" evidence of this was in the STOCK OEM FACOTRY tires on the front and and back at 7k miles and HUGE chicken strips on each side... dry cracked side walls ( obviously old tires ) so im thinking the chain and sprockets were abused.

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
Could be that simple, but usually if they have it's obvious just by looking at them. If it's never been beat then the sprocket, unless it's all rusty, is fine. Same with the chain. If it isn't rusted and/or pieces of the o-rings coming out, and holds comfy to the back of the sprocket if you try to pull it off, then it's probably fine. I think by "abused" what you mean is "neglected", but again, if it doesn't look like it was then it wasn't.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
abused, rode hard, never oiled, change the oil, wheelies, non of which were evident... I think though this was a possibly lack of maintenance on the chain, some small rust marks on chain... it's getting replaced.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track. Let us know if the sound goes away after you replace the chain and sprockets. Maybe time to do a 520 upgrade!!!

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
I'm sure it's fine if you get the right chain, but I have a hard time getting my head around a little 520 chain on a literbike.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, i had one on my 600 and i was "ok" with it, I half expected a 530 chain on my zx10 when i starting looking at her... nope 525 same as my 07 R6

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
I don't even remember what's on my ten, and I just did it. It's not a 520 though, I know that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts