1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
It's not a bad price. Not exactly the bargain of the century, unless all three parts are exactly what you're looking for- and even then, I've never heard of those sprockets so not sure what they usually go for.
Most people I've talked to- even on literbikes- who don't stay with the stock size are going down to a 520. This is the first time I've heard of someone going up who wasn't running a turbo or nitrous. As far as I know none of them have ever snapped a chain; I really don't think a 530 is necessary on a NA literbike unless you're going with a lower quality chain, and that shouldn't be an issue with D.I.D. If it makes you feel better though, get what you're going to be happy with.

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,270 Posts
Buddy of mine on a 05 went up for top speed. He likes it. Price is good. think my replacement was 250.00

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
Going up from a 525 to a 530 makes absolutely no difference in top speed.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Later model literbikes come with a 525 chain and sprockets. Even the 1200cc V-twins (1198 Duc Superbike torque monsters) came with a 525.

The difference in weight between a 525 and 530 is very small. I think 530 sprockets may last just a little bit longer than 525 sprockets only because the load is spread out over a slightly wider sprocket tooth area. The same chain in 525 and 530 may only have a slight tensile strength difference. The manufacturer can make a 520 chain as strong as a 530 chain. Comes down to the quality of the metal used.

You get what you pay for in sprockets and chains.

If you want a 530, buy a 530. It's not any stronger. Some riders like the look of a more beefy chain. 530s and even 630s were used in the past because the chain quality just wasn't as good in general as it is today. Sidewinder makes a 520 chain that has a 17,000 lb.+ tensile strength. And the chain costs on the high side of $200.00 for just the chain alone.

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the chain on my wife's old '97 ZX6 is bigger than the one on my '05 10R. Crazy how fast technology moves some things along.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts