Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am brand new to this forum. I am in the process of buying a zx12r, and had a few questions. First, is this a good starter bike? J/K! I have been riding a long time, but have not ridden anything over a 750. Is the bike going to scare the hell out of me? I have read that it has wonderful user power. I was going to get a zx10, or R1, but I live in KS and the lack of twisties pushed me more in this direction. I have to take long rides to find curves. Insurance was another issue. The race replicas were a lot more for full coverage than the 12(I guess Ins. Co. consider it a tourer). Are there any complaints about the bike? What changed from 04 to 05?
I have to sell my R6 before I can buy this thing. I am hoping it will sell quick. I have it listed for 4K. ITs a 2000 model if you know anyone in KS looking for one!
Thanks.

·
registered member
523 Posts
04-05 had all kinks worked out as far as i know...

dont know about the insurance thingy, severalins companies out here in NC wont insure if it starts with ZX..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not a good starter bike, but you definitely are not a beginner. I believe you will be happy with the bike. More torque than the R6 and of course, more everywhere! You won't need to make her scream to get to the power, but you'll find that out, and be...rewarded!:grin

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The 12R is a great bike, dont think much changed between the 04 and 05 except for the color schemes. The bottom end torque of the 12R is indeed strong, but you'll be fine, especially since you've been riding already.

Another option to keep in mind, unless your just looking at saving money on finding a used one, is to look at the ZX14. The wheelbase is a bit longer than the 12, and it should be a more refined, more powerful bike, not to mention a tad lighter.

Regarding insurance, it's gonna be high if you ask me, since it's one of those "bullet bikes" as they say.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply guys. As far as the 14 goes, I can't stand the looks of it. I am sure its fast, but the 12 looks way better imo. Insurance was about 1200 less per year for me on the 12r than the 10r. Go figure. I have had quite a few calls on my R6 so far, so I am hoping it will sell this weekend. If it does, I am going straight to the dealer! Sell damnit sell!

·
Registered
304 Posts
'04-'05 are the same as far as I know. '05 only came in black and was obviously the last run of a great model. I'd like to have an '05 as it is the last make of one of the greatest machines ever made!!!!!!!!!
You will not be dissapointed with the 12! It has incredible power, throttle response, handles nice in the corners (better w/ a 190r) and will leave you with a smile everytime!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
really no difference in 04-05. it is a great bike!!! the 12r is my 1st bike. great power, just a awesome bike in every aspect. i have the 05, my boyfriend has 03, really no difference there either. we dont have to carry insurance down here, if we dont want to. if i did it would have costed me 3800.00 a year. no thanks!!!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I sold my R6 Friday and bought the bike on Saturday. What a bike! I can't wait until I am out of the breakin period so I can see what it will do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a 02' 12r and loving it, i have approx 27000 mi on it and still it feels like i just purchased it. i only carry liabilty ins which is now $93 dollars a yr from $103 the previous 2 yrs thru progressive. i'm absolutely pos that you will love your 12r. its just a great all around bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 02 zx12r w/27000 mi . It still feels like i just purchased it just from the enjoyment of riding it. I carry liabilty which cost me $103 in 03 thru 05 each yr. 06' dropped to $93. Progessive is the ins. otherwise, the 12r is a great all around bike and I don't regret buying it.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
LOL.... Anita's first bike is a 12R... and 2 years newer than her old man's...

Now that there is funny, I don't care who ya are!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts