Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , just picked up a 03 zx9r that has 16k miles on it and bone stock. Looking to do some upgrading to it. My thought here is I want to black it out and throw some exhaust on it for now. For the time being im debating on just painting the frame , swingarm , and wheels with duplicolor wheel paint. Id like to spray the mid pipe with high temp engine paint. Any tips / tricks so far? If it turns out like im thinking it will next winter ill have it all powder coated. As far as the exhaust... Im lost.... I dont want a race pipe , I dont mind a little loud but im tired of make your ears bleed loud. Any suggestions on the exhaust? What have you guys tried and liked? Any brands to stay away from? I went from an older gsxr 750 to this so its plenty powerful for me ay this time so performance isn't that much of an issue to me.

Thanx

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Just my opinion, but any half done paint job detracts from a bikes' looks. Not sure what you're starting with, so it's hard to tell if half a paint job would improve or hurt appearance.

As for mufflers, typically you'll want to first see what's remaining for a bike that has been discontinued for 9 years, then what's remaining in your price range for your 02/03 model ZX-9R. From there make your choice.

I know I had a hard time finding anything for my 00/01 model four years ago and I'd have to believe it would be the same today.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry , I didn't make my thoughts to clear. Im painting the fairings aswell. Just was looking fot tips/tricks and advise on painting the frame , wheels and exhaust. As far as the actual exhaust... Im lost. Ive actually found alot of diffrent exhaust. Ive found a full (used but nice) Aprovik exhaust , D&D , Muzzy , two brouthers , yosh. , and a couple I haven't heard of before. Im not real concerned with making this thing any more powerful right now. Mainly just want to clean up the looks a bit and give it a nice growl. Whats a good sounding slip on or system that isn't super loud?

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Strangely, one of the main complaints with the Yoshi or certain ones, is that it's too quiet. The Muzzy I think is similar in volume, I think.

I'm not the right person to ask on slip-on recommendations. Perhaps someone else will chime in with their thoughts. BTW, good job hunting down some options!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I put a Yoshi pipe on mine, it was a slip-on (connected at the mid-pipe). I bought it from Ivan when I ordered my jet kit. It was cheap and it sounds great, not too loud.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Actually , finding exhaust was stupid simple... Thats what makes this hard lol. Ive always ran yoshi or two brouthers so im not acquainted with the rest. I loved one yoshi I had , didn't care for them the second time around and the two brouthers was really really nice quality but was for a track bike so it was damn loud. I might snag the aprovik just bc if I dont like it I think I could get my money back on it. There asking $500 for the header on back , I don't think thats bad for them am I wrong? I dont care if its a system or a slip on. Just really dislike the look of the stock can... Dont know what it is but it bugs the hell out of me

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
...Dont know what it is but it bugs the hell out of me
Maybe it's has something to do with it looking like a scuba tank.

$500 for all that sounds like a close-out. If you think you want it, snag it!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Maybe it's has something to do with it looking like a scuba tank.

$500 for all that sounds like a close-out. If you think you want it, snag it!
That a well tuned beauty!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts