Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new to riding bikes, so im not sure if this is an issue, but any advice will be much appreciated. when i was cruising today on some back roads, i was in 2nd gear around 4k rpm and heard a distinct ticking. so far ive only noticed it during the afore mentioned situation. ill be riding tomorrow, and ill try and see if it happens in any other gears. is that a normal sound? does it mean there is a problem with the bike? i need to figure it out soon so i can contact the dealership and get it fixed, so again, any advice is very much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,453 Posts
valves may need adjusting ...

racoon caught in the wheels

LOL I had a nagging tick for a while .... found it was a strap on my jacket flapping against my helmet

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, i checked around for anything that could be flopping to cause the ticking, and it all checked out. the ticking occurs in all gears at low rpms. any ideas? i leave to go back to texas in 9 days so i need to get it back to the dealership here in CT before then if its a problem. thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had an 03 ZX-9 (I friggin LOVED that bike) and yes, even when adjusted properly you can hear the valves clacking away. I took it in to the shop three times before they finally convinced me that something wasn't about to shoot out of the side of the engine block.

Regards...

- Doc

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
damn, thanks man, this has been driving me crazy. so its something you just have to deal with huh? thats one negative aspect, 452832348 positives. man i love this bike.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've was just like you when I got my first 02 zx6r. I heard that sound for the first time and thought that the values were about to go but after speaking with other kawa owners I found out that's their signature sound. My 02 zx9r makes the same sound.
Enjoy your rare treasure (the last of the 9's) and welcome to pure power with a side of comfort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts