Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, my 03 zx6 cant get past 55, and often feels bogged down at 35 as well. The bike also randomly shuts off and wont start without a jump. I've read that it could be fuel pressure/pump issues, but can't hurt to be sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like either fuel or battery. Have you checked to see if your battery is still good? If its fuel problem I can't see how jumping it would fix it. I had similar issue with my gsxr and found out my terminal screws were loose on the battery. Something I usually don't check, but somehow it shook loose. It would run fine till I get some speed and speedo would flash on off and bike would just sputter out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah I would start with charging the battery properly then test it, check your battery leads are fitted properly too. If the battery is good you may have a bad magneto.

I'd fully charge the battery, if the bike runs fine then gets worse over time I would think the bike is not keeping the battery charged which likely means the magneto is going bad. A magneto is equivalent to an alternator in a car if you don't already know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like either fuel or battery. Have you checked to see if your battery is still good? If its fuel problem I can't see how jumping it would fix it. I had similar issue with my gsxr and found out my terminal screws were loose on the battery. Something I usually don't check, but somehow it shook loose. It would run fine till I get some speed and speedo would flash on off and bike would just sputter out.
I haven't been able to mess with it very much due to work, it just started doing this yesterday when I was going to show a friend the bike. The guy I bought it off of said that the LED lights he installed on it need a switch because it is always searching for bluetooth and drains the battery. I thought the fuel pump would be the issue with it not pushing past 55 and cutting out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If the battery issue and performance issue are not related then yes I would expect a fueling issue. However if the magneto is going bad and cant charge the battery and the bike does not have enough juice to properly power the ignition system or fuel injectors the bike will run awful, which is why I want to know if the bike will run fine with a fully charged battery for a short time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts