Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So since its winter and I have a lot of time to work on the bike, I was wonder what I would need to swap out my shock with a 03 model? I feel like a 20 year old shock might not work as well as it used to and these are pretty cheap and easy to find. Suggestions?:dunno

· Registered
1,848 Posts
It's possible, but you may have to raise the battery box. The 93-95 is a tight fit in regards the shock reservoir and the battery box bracket and plastic tray.

Josh

· Registered
1,848 Posts
I ran the 12R shock in my 93 no issues, but when I did the 10R swingarm swap I also had to use the 10R shock when meant having to raise the battery box a ton to clear the reservoir.

Josh

· Registered
1,848 Posts
I should have added, with the 12R shock you'll need to drill out the upper and lower mount to 12mm. Not a biggie, but keep that in mind. Small price to pay for a good shock.

Unless the shock you purchased is coming with the 12R top mount, then you'll only need to drill out the lower mount.

Josh

· Registered
1,848 Posts
what year 12r shock did u buy? does it matter? post some pics when u get it installed.
I'd be interested in doing the same to my 92 as long as it can be swapped back.....?
Any year. The 00-01 has slightly different valving than the 02+, but in all reality nobody would know. If it looks good buy it.

And you shouldn't have to modify anything on the bike, with the exception of "maybe" having to raise the battery box. Even that is a stretch.

For example, on my 93 I have the ride heght adjuster max to the cotter pin and the 12R reservoir just cleared the bottom of the battery bracket and tray. If you guys ride with the ride height in the stock location you may have issues. Easy solution there is to just crank the ride height.

With the 12R shock you'll need to drill out the upper and lower mounting holes to 12mm. The lower holes are thru aluminum and are easy, the upper is hardened steel, but not an issue.

Josh

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So me and my buddy tried to mount the shock yesterday but we are struggling to fit it. Do I need to remove the swing-arm or should it just slide in? I have the rear wheel off, brake bar and I was lifting the tail but its just not going in.

· Registered
1,848 Posts
If i remember right I had to remove the swingarm to fit the 12R shock. Or maybe I didn't...

If you lift the rear of the bike as high as you can the swingarm doesn't drop down enough to insert the shock from the top?

Josh

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If i remember right I had to remove the swingarm to fit the 12R shock. Or maybe I didn't...

If you lift the rear of the bike as high as you can the swingarm doesn't drop down enough to insert the shock from the top?

Josh
Yeah, I'm going to try hoisting the rear end up instead of me lifting it before I try taking the swing-arm off. I bought the bike with the intent to ride, now its in pieces all over my house and garage.

· Banned
3,604 Posts
Not to thread jack here but I have a 89 zx7 and with gear I might weigh 145. Would an 03 636 shock be an upgrade to not only soften my ride a little but also with adjustability?

· Registered
1,848 Posts
Not to thread jack here but I have a 89 zx7 and with gear I might weigh 145. Would an 03 636 shock be an upgrade to not only soften my ride a little but also with adjustability?
I would still do the 12R shock... the 636 is a very light bike and the 12R is slightly less weight than the L model. I think the H-K models weigh even more.

Josh

· Banned
3,604 Posts
Yeah my H model bike is a 458 wet weight so... I don't mind a "plushy" ride as long as it's not bouncy and overly stiff as it is now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.