Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have decided to do a service on my 03 636 myself, i have serviced card etc before so it really shouldn't be a problem if I just take my time. I am also going to change the chain and sprockets also.

Apart from the list below what else is needed that I don't know about?

I have gone for

MOTUL 7100 10W40 fully synthetic oil
K & N Oil Filter
K & N Air Filter
New NGK Standard Spark Plugs

Iris X-Ring Chain (Gold/Black) and silver sprockets.

Any advice much appreciated

·
Registered
18 Posts
If your at least half competent you shouldnt have any problem. The spark plugs are a right pain in the arse as they are dropped down a few inch into the engine! i have to build my socket inside the tube, as for pots 1 & 4 you dont have enough clearance. a good magnet is also really handy for removing the spark plugs!

oh and you need a chain splitter/joiner for your chain, if you havent got one get one! real handy piece of kit. and a good idea to use a torque wrench on your sprocket nut too and mybe a little loc-tite would go a miss either.

EDIT* forgot also a problem i had was that the oil filter fitted didnt have a nut on the end and i couldnt get a good grip with a chain grip so i found a nice big screwdriver had hammered it through the filter to twist it off! sounds brutal but you dont need the filter anymore. it is messy tho..... put cardboard down

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your at least half competent you shouldnt have any problem. The spark plugs are a right pain in the arse as they are dropped down a few inch into the engine! i have to build my socket inside the tube, as for pots 1 & 4 you dont have enough clearance. a good magnet is also really handy for removing the spark plugs!

oh and you need a chain splitter/joiner for your chain, if you havent got one get one! real handy piece of kit. and a good idea to use a torque wrench on your sprocket nut too and mybe a little loc-tite would go a miss either.

EDIT* forgot also a problem i had was that the oil filter fitted didnt have a nut on the end and i couldnt get a good grip with a chain grip so i found a nice big screwdriver had hammered it through the filter to twist it off! sounds brutal but you dont need the filter anymore. it is messy tho..... put cardboard down
great thanks, so do i need a spark plug adapter for my socket wrench then? even with this adapter than i take it that its still a pain in the arse?

do i need something to get the plugs out or if i have a proper sparkplug adapter with the rubber bit will it be ok?

thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a special socket for my spark plugs, its a standard looking socket but longer to accomadate the plug to reach to the head further down, but connects straight to my 1/2" drive rachets. check the size of your spark plugs to find out which size you need. i think mine is a 10mm but cant quite remember off the top of my head! :banghead

a gasket should be with the oil filter either already fitted or in a bag. My K&N was supplied with one i know that. rub some oil around the gasket as well.

And i dont recommend split clip joining links i know of a few people that have had them unclip. which is why i flat out refuse to use them, but other people have other views on this im sure. :rant

1 - 6 of 6 Posts