Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know how to set fuel level and float height as I have done this before on my quads, but I am confused on what the manual tells me to do for this 02 zx6r. I measured the fuel level on all cylinders, one was low, 2 were high, and one was right on. Even the one that is right on does not measure what the specs call for. Once I make adjustments by bending the tang, shouldn't I be able to push carb back into boots, put some fuel into the hose with key on and check them again? Any insight would be appreciated, thanks

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
You make the adjustments by bending the tang on the floats (thus adjusting the float height). The reason the manual usually recommends using the fuel level measurement is that the 4 floats may not have the exact same buoyancy and therefore the levels would be different. I personally always use the fuel level to set them but most everyone has success adjusting the float heights to be all the same. Just my2 cents.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
+1 I know there's a more precise scientific way to verify float height after adjustment by using a clear fuel hose...

Same would be true for setting the PAS to raise and maintain idle RPM, but IMO setting them evenly to where they do what I want them to do, works best. There's a level of how anal I'm willing to go and spending the extra time doing this may bear fruit, but (set evenly) they're good enough as is.

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
That is why I said that setting float heights works fine for most everybody. I have just used the fuel level method for so long that it is my preferred method. When I worked at a Kawasaki dealer (many years ago), their warranty procedure required fuel level readings and had to be documented both ways, fuel level and float height. Either method works fine, it is just a personal preference of mine. Call it anal if you like.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
+1 again.

Again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, I will try to set float height and then check fuel levels from there. I just thought it was really weird to measure float height when I almost cannot see floats. Another issue I seem to be having is that I put carbs back on bike (just put them into boots), put fuel back into hose with key on, and carbs do not appear to be filling up properly. I guess the fuel level could just be off that far, but is it ok to check fuel level when it is leaning on kickstand? I'll say more when I get around to looking at carbs again, but I have been forced to go to a Taylor Swift concert tomorrow...Don't like country, but I would love to play with her hair if you know what I mean, lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think I got fuel level right, but I still do not know why it does not start. It acts like it wants to start as it kind of fires, but choke and throttle does not change it. Checked compression and that is good. Fuel is on spark plugs, but each plug makes spark as well...???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts