Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. First post from me here. I picked up an 02 ZX12R w/ 6000 miles last month. I'm very much loving the motor but can't come to terms with the stock forks. I have 15 years on street bikes and MX racing and as such,have a good grasp of how to set up suspension. The fork (all stock) seems to be WAY oversprung. Regardless of preload/rebound settings,and with compression full soft , they ride very high and sort of skitter across the tops of bumps.
No matter what settings I use for rebound ,there seems to be no effect, virtually no rebound damping. What's really strange is that I'm 6'1 250lbs , so the springs should be overwhelmed by my weight , but seem just the opposite. Anybody else experience this?
Finally , has anybody installed RaceTech gold valves/springs on these forks? What kind of results have you gotten?:headscratch

·
registered member
523 Posts
I have not used Raetech or any other suspension mods, but from what I read racetech does great work and a bunch of 12 owners have used them with great results..

·
Registered
878 Posts
My 12 was oh my god soft when I purchased it. I had a suspention guru set it up with race tech springs and it rocks now. He told me that the front comes factory for a 150ibs rider while the rear is for a 225ibs rider. We just changed the springs for my weight and set the sag and comp. and rebound. Bingo!!! If the preveous owner did not change the springs I would check if anyone has been inside of them before and possibly did not do something right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah , Ive pretty much decided to go with a full Racetech overhaul for the forks ; Gold valves and springs and a rebuild. On rough , rippled pavement , she is scary, almost unrideable. Who needs that?
If the forks come out well , I'll do the shock over the winter. I'll keep you posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts