Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled the carburetors on my ’02 ZX-9R, after they got gummed up from sitting too long with old gasoline. I mounted the carbs back on the bike and started it up, but now the bike “idles” at 8,000 rpm with the choke off! The idle speed is constant, meaning it doesn’t dip and jump on its own. If I open the throttle the idle speed increases, and when I close the throttle it returns to 8,000 rpm.

The butterflies are closed so it doesn’t appear that there is a problem with the throttle cable adjustment or that it’s sticking, the choke assembly opens and closes properly so it doesn’t appear that there is a problem with the choke. Pilot screw adjustments made no difference. The carbs and parts are stock, not aftermarket. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Maybe The Tps ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Disconnect the cables at the carbs and manually actuate the throttle bellcrank to see if its smooth,then start it with the cables still off to see if its internal of the carbs.The throttle doesn't need to be stuck that open to hit 8000 rpm with no load on the engine

1 - 3 of 3 Posts