Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 zx7r. When I crank engine by depressing the starter button the starter works normal (on/off as commanded) if the engine does not start. But if I press it again and the bike starts running the starter will continue to run until I press the kill switch or turn ignition off.

I did have a bad ignition switch (2 bad wires that were replaced, and the inner biscuit was cracked which I hot glued and placed back inside ignition switch until my new switch arrives) now I know that is not a correct fix, but I'm just trying to get the bugs worked out while I wait for new switch. I checked for a voltage drop between white and brown at ignition switch (previously had 500mV drop and after replacing bad wires the voltage drop is down to 145mV.

It does not seem to be a voltage drop issue, more like a short to power, but only when running? Shorted to power on alternator (+)? Not sure how to go about diagnosing it at this point. I have looked over the schematic for so long my eyes are bleeding. Nothing jumps out at me and says "hey, I'm your problem." Any advice?

·
6,646 Posts
Check the white connector under the tank for the alternator. It's probably fused together.

If it's not that, it's probably a bad starter solenoid.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts