Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I am new to the ZX7, so any help would be much appreciated. I am only getting a clicking noise from the fuel pump when I press the starter button. The starter will crank when I jump the starter relay. I have replaced all the fuses in the junction, tried tapping the junction box with a screw driver, jumped kickstand switch, jumped clutch switch. I have checked the infamous grey wire and am getting 6 volts so all good there. Coils are getting 12 volts. Battery is new. Can someone please tell me what I am missing. This is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Fuel pump relay? Starter button corrosion? There are some real ZX7R wizards on this forum, maybe one of them can help you eliminate more possibilities.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Could it still be the fuel pump relay if the fuel pump is clicking when you hit the starter button. I really do need some help here. Electrical is not my strong point. I believe I checked everything on the sticky but still no luck.

·
6,636 Posts
Set the kickstand and clutch switches back to standard on the harness. Put the bike in gear and kickstand down. Push the start button (have the brake pulled just in case, but it should not try to start). If your fuel pump works you have a good fuel pump and grey wire. If that works I would take the right pod off and clean all the contacts and try again.

Is your neutral light on? If not, check the neutral safety switch for being connected properly and wire not frayed or broken. It's under the water pump.

Check and clean all four grounds. Engine, harness, frame (under the fuel pump) and water pump. Also clean the battery terminals.

Pull the cables at the starter solenoid and clean them, plus the engine ground and starter connections.

If you don't have over 13 volts at your battery, these things will not start.

·
6,636 Posts
Make sure you smack the Junction box quite hard, and while you are pushing the start button. If everything else here fails, you may need to find another junction box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Set the kickstand and clutch switches back to standard on the harness. Put the bike in gear and kickstand down. Push the start button (have the brake pulled just in case, but it should not try to start). If your fuel pump works you have a good fuel pump and grey wire. If that works I would take the right pod off and clean all the contacts and try again.

Is your neutral light on? If not, check the neutral safety switch for being connected properly and wire not frayed or broken. It's under the water pump.

Check and clean all four grounds. Engine, harness, frame (under the fuel pump) and water pump. Also clean the battery terminals.

Pull the cables at the starter solenoid and clean them, plus the engine ground and starter connections.

If you don't have over 13 volts at your battery, these things will not start.
Thank you very much. I will try all of that and let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check the electrical connectors under the airbox / above the cylinder head. These were fried on my 2001. My ignition switch (key part) was also crumbling and intermittent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts