Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike will start right up if it has been sitting overnight. Once I ride it for a while and turn it off, it won't turn start up again until I let it sit and cool off. It will crank so it can't be electrical, at least I don't think so. possibly something to do with the carbs? Anyone run into this problem before? :headscratch

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can compression start it and it'll run fine once it's started. Wouldn't the fuel pump effect it while it's running?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I can compression start it and it'll run fine once it's started. Wouldn't the fuel pump effect it while it's running?
Im not understanding you correctly i guess. So after it gets hot and you shut it off, it will start up by push starting but not by the starter button??

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I have a friend with a 97 9r doing the same thing. His is carb issues though. What if you try to start the bike with the throttle open about half? Does it start?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct kb. It'll crank with the start button, but won't turn over unless I give it an hour to cool off. And kitty, I tried all different throttle positions and choke settings to no avail.

·
Registered
27 Posts
On cars there is a sensor on the first cylinder that measures the cylinders position. If that sensor starts breaking down, it causes the issues you are having. I think it's called a TDP sensor (Top Dead Point). I'm not sure if bikes have this same sensor, but if it does then I'm fairly certain this is the problem. Does it also start if you leave it say for 15 minutes after having ridden it?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
90 Posts
1. Just because it cranks over when hot, doesn't mean all electrical problems can be ruled out. It might crank over hot, but whether it has spark is a question worth asking.

2. Your bike ever have the valves adjusted? Valves get tight with engine use, and eventually they'll lose all clearance with the cams and be held open slightly... ie:hard hot starting gets worse until it finally won't start hot at all. Another symptom of this could be the engine taking longer to warm up in the morning

3. Could be vapor lock...

·
Registered
27 Posts
After a bit of searching it would appear that your bike does indeed have a TDC (Top Dead Center) sensor. It's also sometimes known as a CAS (Crank Angle Sensor). This sensor is probably dying. Replacing it shouldn't be too expensive, they tend to cost around 90 euro's in cars.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Next time you have this problem, try and open the gas cap and see if it persists.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 7r had hot starting issues but it wasn't too bad. I checked the valve clearances and found most of them were tight. I rectified this and ballanced the carbs at the same time. I have not had this problem since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
something that might be way off base, but i had a similar problem in an old truck of mine. my final diagnosis was that i had replaced my exhaust with a different kind, i wont go into details, but, the problem with it not starting while hot was that the exhaust was heating up my starter, and I'm assuming the gears in the starter were expanding, therefore not allowing the starter to engage until it had cooled down enough to allow the starter to work properly!!! hope this helps!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts