Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an '01 ZX6R with about 12k on it. Lately it has developed a very annoying click/pop when I'm on the front brake..... just before I stop completely. I can feel it in the handlebars. Everything feels fine when I first grab the brake, no pronounced "clunk", even if I grab it hard. I thought maybe it could be the bearings in the steering column so I hung my bike by its frame and felt for play. Didn't feel any, so what the heck is going on??? Could this be brake pads?????

Thanx in Advance!!!!!!:headscratch :headscratch :headscratch :headscratch

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same bike, but it's got 31k on it (All my own miles). I used to notice the exact same problem, but forgot about it until I read your post. So on my way home from work yesterday I paid special attention to the braking and braked from hard to light the whole way home. I don't seem to have the problem anymore!! But when I had it, it was exactly as you described it. The only thing I've done is put new tires on in the last 6 months (which included a wheel balance). I still have original brake pads and fork oil. Brake fluid has been changed several times though.

Perhaps you could try a brake bleed. I doubt it's the pads unless you brake hard every day. Do you still have the original tires on, or maybe the second set? They could be out of balance if they're toward the end of their life. I'll try and make it do it again today. Would like to know if you figure it out.

P.S. I was using Dunlop Z208s when I had this problem. Switched to Pirelli Dragon Corsa's at last tire change when problem seemed to go away.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put a set of Pirelli Corsa III's on at the beginning of summer and had the wheels balanced too. I changed the brake fluid at the start of the riding season, the brakes feel great. I've read about the clunk that people feel in the brakes/bars when the steering bearings are going out........ and it doesn't fit that description. I'm baffled at this point. It is really annoying me and I'm taking the front end apart this winter to change the fork oil so maybe I'll do the bearings too. :headscratch :headscratch :headscratch

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update for those that care.......

I bled the brakes last weekend and it still makes the same annoying click noise when I'm slowing down. Always around 10mph. I can really feel it in the bars and also hear it with my helmet on. At this point it is so annoying that I'm ready to park it til '08 and deal with it in the spring. And the kicker is that it only does it right around 10mph. I can grab the front really hard at various speed and it feels normal. It only does this shit when I'm on the brake, and slowing to a stop.:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
same here...... only at slow speeds

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it driving you crazy yet?????? If i can't get it fixed by spring it will be for sale!!!!!!!!!!:scared :scared :scared

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm gonna pull it apart as soon as winter strikes!!!!! From what I've read it doesn't look that hard to do.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ive got an 01 also and have the very same thing going on!:headscratch
Ive got 5200 on the OD (actually 5198) so I REALLY dont see it being
any kind of "wear and tear" over the years.
The steering head bearing tension is fine (on mine), break fluid is good,
new tires, .....:headscratch

The sound is most defiantly from the lower end of the front, but you can
feel it in the grips......i have NO idea.

And, yes :banghead :banghead :banghead

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I already adjusted the stearing head bearings. Took off the triple and all that. Didn't make a difference at all. Another funny thing about this is that it doesn't happen until a few minutes into riding. After the first few stops i'm thinking that somehow it stopped, but NOOOOOOOOOOO a few stops later and it's the same old thing.

The sound is most defiantly from the lower end of the front, but you can
feel it in the grips......i have NO idea.
exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm wondering that now...... I'm gonna replace the pads in the next week or two. I've got around 12k miles on them, anyone else ever had this sort of problem with brake pads?!?!?!?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Wouldn't the caliper keep the pad from "rattling" around?
Im starting to think that the caliper piston is sticking, causing
the pad(s) to click/pop.
Maybe.

Hopefully Ill have some time this weekend to look.:angry

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you get some time to check it out please post up what you find. I hadn't thought of that. :mfclap :mfclap :mfclap :mfclap

·
Registered
785 Posts
Now that Im thinking/reading, I remember the last few times I got to
ride, I ended up wet from the small storms we've had.
All I got to do was a few wipe downs.
No good cleaning.
???????????

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a 2000 ZX6r with 82,641 miles on it (no that is not a typo),and i have had that problem a few times, i always just tightened up my steering stem bearings and the problem was solved.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I already tried that and the problem still remains.

Holy lots o' miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Well, I still got it.

But had a great morning out riding today anyway.:smile
Its good to break away from the work and back route.
I did notice it is not as often after cleaning the bike real good.
But even today it only did it once, and lightly at that.:headscratch

...........I always just tightened up my steering stem bearings and the problem was solved.
I wish it would have fixed it for me.
And it feels like its more down low.

·
Registered
494 Posts
When was the last time you had your forks done? It could be in the fork slider bushings, a little play there will make clicking noise. Most commonly it's the steeringhead bearings though. What did you torque them too?

Other possibilities is it's time to replace your rotors as the semi-floating disc bolts might be worn.

Other possibilities include loose caliper or triple tree bolts. Wish you lived closer so I could take an actual look at it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts