Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used conventional oil since '00 and I was thinking of going blend or full synthetic oil. I have about 40k miles on my baby and I ride moderate to hard. I go fast a lot. Any suggestions since my bike is eight years old? Gator in Texas

· Registered
24 Posts
^^^^^ quit poisoning this forum with false information. That is a bad common misconception. As long as the oil does NOT have friction modifiers, the clutch will not be affected. This basically means that you cannot use any automobile oils as they contain friction modifiers. Any good motorcycle oil will work.... synthetic, (depending on the brand), may last a bit longer and provide a little better protection. It will not affect the clutch though.

On a side note, its nice to see a 9r with more miles than mine... I have 39,XXX on mine. Crossing my fingers though, i hope to get ~65,XXX out of it.

· Registered
19 Posts
^^^^^ quit poisoning this forum with false information. That is a bad common misconception. As long as the oil does NOT have friction modifiers, the clutch will not be affected. This basically means that you cannot use any automobile oils as they contain friction modifiers. Any good motorcycle oil will work.... synthetic, (depending on the brand), may last a bit longer and provide a little better protection. It will not affect the clutch though.

On a side note, its nice to see a 9r with more miles than mine... I have 39,XXX on mine. Crossing my fingers though, i hope to get ~65,XXX out of it.
I just gave my opinion and that should be all it is taken as. Don't let the fact that I have been a licensed technician for over 15 years sway you. Does ASE mean anything to you?:thefinger:nana

· Registered
18 Posts
I just gave my opinion and that should be all it is taken as. Don't let the fact that I have been a licensed technician for over 15 years sway you. Does ASE mean anything to you?:thefinger:nana
ASE means nothing... all it means is you took the time and money to be "certified" and there's still joe schmoe mechanics that are way better then any certificate can prove!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx for the input guys. Y'all should play nice. Although opinions are good when it comes to giving technical advice, us not so knowledgeable look to these forums for solid advice and sound technical advice. I must say I decided to stick to a quality conventional oil since I have not had any issues thus far. I was just looking for a small edge. Gator/Cyclone Riders MC

· Registered
124 Posts
Whoa guys, be nice, he has his opinion and expressed it. Were all Kawasaki family here =)

Ive used full synthetic oil in my bike its entire life. 37,000mi without a hitch !

Ive also used synthetic car oil a few times.. didn't notice any difference

· Registered
72 Posts
this is one of those legendary questions that alotta people dont agree on. I had a friend who weighs 210 lbs. he bought a bike from a guy weighing 160 lbs. the guy who he bought it from said he always runs synthetic and it never slipped. well my friend got out there and hammered the throttle and *CLUTCH SLIP* so I would recomend conventional

· Registered
399 Posts
this is one of those legendary questions that alotta people dont agree on. I had a friend who weighs 210 lbs. he bought a bike from a guy weighing 160 lbs. the guy who he bought it from said he always runs synthetic and it never slipped. well my friend got out there and hammered the throttle and *CLUTCH SLIP* so I would recomend conventional

I'm not trying to talk shit about your freind but it was problably his weight and not the oil. I weight 180 and I've allways ran Full synthetic without any problems.

· Registered
72 Posts
I'm not trying to talk shit about your freind but it was problably his weight and not the oil. I weight 180 and I've allways ran Full synthetic without any problems.
lol very possible. he got the plates replaced and runs conventional and doesnt have the same problems anymore. though that could also mean the plates were just bad, not the oil. But hey If your bike is running at a cool enough temperature and performs well use whatever golden liquid you like :)

· Registered
12 Posts
Wow, this is a tough crowd.

Ummmm, any oil WILL work.

Unless a bike has an existing clutch problem, you will not have slippage issues.

No proof as be offered to verify the notion that Automotive oils cause slippage. Although it would be "better" (but not "required") to stay away from oils with more friction modifiers. Motorcycle oil simply is a way to charge a higher price for a lesser product.

Do yourselves a favor and use a good quality Diesel Synthetic Oil.

But hey, this is just another opinion from some idiot. ;-P

· Registered
4,008 Posts
Wow, this is a tough crowd.

Ummmm, any oil WILL work.

Unless a bike has an existing clutch problem, you will not have slippage issues.

No proof as be offered to verify the notion that Automotive oils cause slippage. Although it would be "better" (but not "required") to stay away from oils with more friction modifiers. Motorcycle oil simply is a way to charge a higher price for a lesser product.

Do yourselves a favor and use a good quality Diesel Synthetic Oil.

But hey, this is just another opinion from some idiot. ;-P
I have a friend that used diesel oil on his bike, can't remember what but there was something wrong with it :headscratch , after he switched to diesel type the problem went away, I'm gonna have to ask him

· Registered
12 Posts
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 would be a good oil or Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 heavy-duty motor oil. These oils have a higher detergent but lower amount of friction modifiers, as compared to conventional motor oils. In short, you get a "cleaner", "better" oil than using motorcycle specific oil, but you dont get the potentially slip causing friction modifiers.
Also, if an oil "causes problems" with your engine there is something else wrong. (with the exception of maybe using a 0w20 in the Arizona heat, lol)
I am always open to new information.

· Registered
2 Posts

Agreed, I have 43k miles on my F2 model, I bought it when it had around 30k,i only used Motul full synthetic oil 10w40 never had any issues with clutch slipping, + the beast is still pulling the same from day 1 when I got it because of the protection full synthetic gives you

1 - 20 of 26 Posts