Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I just picked up my first bike. Its a 0020 zx9. Its geared difrent and is stretched with a mild built motor. Im new so I have some dumb questions. What could I get that is like a power comandor for this bike? Where can I get rotors and brakes cheap? And also my speeding is off because the gearing, how do I fix this?

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
1: You don't need more power. In fact you could stand to use a lot less. A ZX-anything is not a toy and you can very quickly get in over your head. The fact that it is stretched actually makes it worse, the bike will be more prone to not turn and if you come too hot into a turn it could be the difference between riding off into a tree or staying in the road. New riders have an awfully high likelihood of "failing to negotiate turns". Especially on cruisers and stretched bikes.

It will keep the front end down a little more nicely for you though.

2: Take the MSF course. In fact, this should be number one. Don't say "but I'm a good rider" or "I know what I am doing" because you don't. If this is your first bike, then you have no idea. If you have taken it, then you can ignore this part, but don't still think you know what you are doing. I learn something new almost every time I get on mine - and I am in my 4th year of riding... and do 10k miles a year or more.

3: 0020? I assume 2000 based on the "I Ride". I don't know if 9s every got switched to electronic speedo or if they stayed cable driven. If this bike's speedo is driven off the front wheel like my ZX-7R is, then the gearing has nothing to do with the speedo whatsoever. There are little gear boxes that go inline with the speedo cable that can correct for this error, but I have never used one and am not sure just how easy they are to calibrate and install. If it is electronic, then you can simply buy a speedohealer or something like that. Note: That is a brand name, there are other brands for this device.

4: Are you sure its "built", even mildly? If so that makes it even worse of a choice, or maybe it's just a K&N, exhaust, and a jet kit. That isn't built. Ignition advancer doesn't count either.

5: There is nothing you can buy that is like a power commander, because the bike is not fuel injected. You have no options to control fuel delivery other than the jets. Also, bigger jets does NOT mean more power, especially if it is correctly set up to begin with, so don't just go out and buy big ass jets and toss them in there. That isn't how or why you "jet" a bike.

Do be careful. Just because you wen't out and bought a fast bike doesn't mean you are going to still be cool with a broken spine or in a casket. Keep both wheels on the ground and pay attention to the speed limit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Well, thanks for the lecture and not so great welcome. That was more than my parents. As far as first bike goes, first crotch rocket. Yes built. Bottom end, crank, pistons, connecting rods, etc. Im not a retard sir. Nor a kid who just tried to go out and get the biggest thing. Yes im young, I have riding experience for quite some time now. Curves, very true. I live in the country and have turns that will make you scream. But thanks for the concern. Anyways, its a mechanical speeding on the 00. The speed is off by 10tomorrow mph. (10mph to high). Its stretched with a wishbone link.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Actually the speedo is electronic. It goes off a magnetic sensor located on the countershaft sprocket cover and senses the bolt spinning below, much like a bicycle computer tells speed. You'll have to look up to see if there's a Speedohealer that'll work with our bikes. Stock sprockets are 16/41T.

Ignition is controlled by a throttle body sensor coming off the carb bank, engine RPM and is managed by an ECU, but because the bike has carbs, a PowerCommander or Juicebox are not possible...on any 9R. A Flo-Commander is about as close to an adjustable fuel management system as you'll find, but those are rare. Most of use just put on our pipes, rejet and ride happily off into the sunset.

Your options for boosting the feeling of power, other than the gearing change, are by rejetting, modifying how the bike breaths, and making certain that the engine is mechanically sound and making good compression numbers. There's a recent tuning thread started on where to start on a 2001 ZX-9R and since your 2000 is mechanically identical to the 2001 (E1 v E2), that and other previous threads will have a wealth of advise on how to accomplish this feat.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Well that answers that. But your speedo is not off by "10 mph". It would have to be a percentage. Meaning it varies as to how far off it is depending on speed.

And "first bike" is kind of specific lol

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
dude no offense but when you ask questions and sound like a noob you will get a noob answer, most of the people here, are very good and will dumb things down so much it will sound like they are explaining things to little kids, which I think it's great since someone else might be looking for the same thing and have less than half the knowledge you might have, the people that will answer your posts will talk from experience, so never get the feel you are getting talked down to, eventually when you get knowledgeable about your bike you'll be doing the same, don't be like other people that get offended and miss out on the that could be had, if you act right, I think you had a great start other than the butt hurt post saying you're not a little kid, it only makes you look more like a little kid but then again this is the internet so who gives a shit :rolleyes, just get what you need from the info provided and ignore the rest and you'll do great here, they ain't making fun of you "yet" so stick around and you'll get used to these whores :evil Im kinda drunk right now lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks

Zx-9 thanks for answering without lecture. Good info there. And guys I know how forums work. I way warned about the noob questions so disrespect me. When questioning whether or not its mildly built and being a smart ass is uncalled for. Trust me, im a noob to bike scene. But deffinitly not to going fast or building. Thanks for the concern though. I was looking at jet kits. My main reason for asking is because I want to swap it to e85 since my car is also converted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts