Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a '00 ZX6R that is a bit of a basket case. Not terrible, mostly cosmetic issues, with a misfire below 8k RPM. Tomorrow I'm planning on pulling the carbs to clean them, but need to know if I should adjust the jetting.

The bike has a Yoshimura Carbon Fiber slip-on with midpipe as it appears. I'm not sure if the carbs have been re-jetted for the exhaust, so I figure I'll toss new jets in if I need to.

My question is do I need new jets, or can I just shim the needles. I've never messed with carbs before, but I know from reading on the ninja 250 forums that slip-ons usually don't require jetting, just needle shimming.

Anyone else have the same exhaust and can enlighten me on how to make sure I'm not leaning out?

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
I hate it when people just throw in jet kits when they don't know what they are doing. Mostly because of my current bike.

Does your exhaust pop like a bitch when you decel? If not, you probably don't need a jet kit. Popping on decel is what means you are lean.

And a 250 is not like a 6R.

IDK what kind of carbs are on the 6R, but this has helped me immensely. http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_carbtune,CV,high_rpm_engines.html

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It pops on decel a bit, but its hard to tell if its leaning out or just the misfire I'm trying to fix. I guess I'll fix the miss clean the carbs and follow that guide for tuning down the road. Thanks for the info

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.