Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this '00 ZX6R with a misfire, trashed plastics, some other cosmetic damage, and in need of maintenance for $1500 with a parts engine. Figured I couldn't go wrong fixing it up, its still worth what I have in it.

Anyway, I have it all torn down. Cleaned the carbs, changed the plugs, and decided to check resistance on the coils before I start putting it all back together.

Checked the primary resistance and all 4 coils are reading between 2.5 and 2.8
Checked 2 repair manuals and the spec is 1.2 to 1.6

secondary resistance is within spec on all 4 coils.

I've been working on and diagnosing problems on cars for several years, and am very familiar with how to check out coils, as its part of my job.

My question is, what are the odds of all 4 coils being bad? What could cause this? Could these coils be off of another bike?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Have you checked the part numbers against the part numbers in the manual? Or Googled the part numbers off the coils?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the coils I have are a mitsubishi F6T553 Underneath that part number, 3 of them say 9Y11 and the last one says 5511

I googled my part number and didn't find much.

·
Registered
81 Posts
So I bought this '00 ZX6R with a misfire, trashed plastics, some other cosmetic damage, and in need of maintenance for $1500 with a parts engine. Figured I couldn't go wrong fixing it up, its still worth what I have in it.

Anyway, I have it all torn down. Cleaned the carbs, changed the plugs, and decided to check resistance on the coils before I start putting it all back together.

Checked the primary resistance and all 4 coils are reading between 2.5 and 2.8
Checked 2 repair manuals and the spec is 1.2 to 1.6

secondary resistance is within spec on all 4 coils.

I've been working on and diagnosing problems on cars for several years, and am very familiar with how to check out coils, as its part of my job.

My question is, what are the odds of all 4 coils being bad? What could cause this? Could these coils be off of another bike?
Never happen . I have never changed a coil on my zx6r j1 and a1p and i cover over 120000 miles . To me they are very reliable part

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never happen . I have never changed a coil on my zx6r j1 and a1p and i cover over 120000 miles . To me they are very reliable part
Thanks for the info. and wow, 120k miles? I just put the coils back in, I figured if they all read the same, either my dmm was messed up or they were good, or both.

I think my misfire might be because the ram air pressure hoses were disconnected. Gonna make sure those are hooked up to the ducts for sure

1 - 5 of 5 Posts