To mod or not to mod? 03 ZX9R - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

To mod or not to mod? 03 ZX9R

So ive gotten a little bit of seat time on my bike finally , tho im still rocking the wrong tail lol. Ive desided I like it and am going to keep it for a bit , I had ornigally picked it up off a friend I. Need and just planed to fix it and sell it. Now its time to make it my own , but what to do to it?... Every one keeps telling me the factroy header is pretty good, but the exhaust looks like a damn torpedo so thats first to go. Would a full system make that much of a diffrence if the header is as good as every one says it is? Would money be better spent just doing a mid pipe and can?

Following exhaust im looking in to jet kits , had to find anything besides a stage 1 , would I even need a stage 2? I know on efi bikes its all about the dyno tune. Is it worth messing with on a carb bike or would it be just aswell to simply dial in the carbs good with out a dyno?
Im probly going to leave the gears alone , atleast for now. Whats the compression on these bikes? One thing I liked doing on my gsxr's was milling the head slightly to bump up the compression and just run atleast 93 octane , 105 octane when I get the chance to get it.

Id really like to get new rear sets but havent seen any on the market for these bikes. Dose anyone know of a good place to pick up a set? Ive got big feet , factor in a pair of boots and shifting becomes a little difficult. My next plain of attack is suspension. Ive got a good line up on that. Im not building a track bike , just want it to suit me is all. Id like to do this all this summer. Just so no one gets mad , yes I have read the fourms and a ton a info on the net but its all been verry contradicting. So who better to ask than the owners of these bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 10:40 AM

I Ride: 00 ZX-9r Lime Green 02 ZX-9r Lime Green, California E1 & F1 models, respectively

You'll find the answers to the first two paragraphs within the 9R section. Those topics have been covered ad nauseum, i.e. exhaust muffler only and bump the jet needle, called shimming the jet needle. No sense in repeating, but there's a wealth of information on pipes, tunes, what to do and what not to do.

On the milling of the head, you could do that. Compression ratio is 12.2:1 and Kawi recommends 90+ AKI fuel for sea level operation. If you like 93 AKI, great, but using anything above that is a waste. So keep in mind that if you start bragging to your friends how powerful your bike will be when it's running 105 AKI, you're going to sound foolish to anyone who knows what octane means.

Alright! Trading bikes for a while was fun.I'm ready for mine back. No, seriously, get off my bike. Ahh, what a privilege it is to have such a sweet ride.
At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. She's the only big-bore canyon carving hypermiler I know of. -- Picture gallery, K&N air filter, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG touring shield, & otherwise stock.
Science & OODA literate. ACA covered.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 11:55 AM

I Ride: 2012 zx10R, 1996 zx9r

Garage
Akropovic is a good slip on exhaust.
jet kits are covered in great extent through these pages.
Everything else is up to you.
Suspension is as simple as tuning it in or as expensive as getting some nice parts or reuilds to current stuff.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

As far as the exhaust I recently came across a brand called pipewerx. Id never heard of them but a friend of mine just bought a bike with one and I really like its tone. Think I may give them a try , didnt know if I should do a can or full exhaust but got the answer on that. Thr jet kit was mainly in question in conjugation with milling the head. I didnt make that to clear tho , sorry. Suspension is easy for me , my best friends dad is a local dealer for olhins. I get stuff damn near at coast. My only real issue is the rearset , my big foot dosent work out well with it. I know woodcraft made some but cant find any forsale... I may have to mod a set for a zx10 or zx6. Defently need something adjustable tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page