Installing the ZX9 engine in my ZX7 frame - problem! - ZX Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

I Ride: 2xZX7R, 1 ZX9 engine

Installing the ZX9 engine in my ZX7 frame - problem!

I have fastened the lower rear engine mount, and begun to raise the engines front up against the upper mounts, when...the engine gets in contact with the frame!

Se the attached picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motortrång 3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	9672  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2019, 07:26 AM

I have never seen a ZX9R B motor mounted to a ZX7R P model.

Maybe try contacting BRG Racing and see if their mount kit will work with this application?
Old 03-24-2019, 07:27 AM

Old 03-24-2019, 08:11 AM
57x

I Ride: 2018 H2 SX SE, 2005 Z750S, ZX7R Superbikes

It is tight. You cannot install the frame that way when you have a 9 engine. Do not install any bolts until it is close. You have to put it more straight over the head. There is some swearing involved but it fits.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57x View Post
It is tight. You cannot install the frame that way when you have a 9 engine. Do not install any bolts until it is close. You have to put it more straight over the head. There is some swearing involved but it fits.
- Ah, i see. I will try that one instead then. Thank´s for your input 57x : )

I read at more then one site that the installation should be:
"first mount the lower rear, and than jack the front up until it reaches the upper mounts".
Old 03-24-2019, 10:24 AM
57x

That works fine if you do not have a 9 engine. Both the early and late 7 frames just don't have the space to do that.
MickeZX7R likes this.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mte78 View Post

Maybe try contacting BRG Racing and see if their mount kit will work with this application?
- I´ve read several threads with this done on P models. Maybe it´s just more "bolt-on" with the older ZX7´s.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:52 AM
57x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeZX7R View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mte78 View Post

- I´ve read several threads with this done on P models. Maybe it´s just more "bolt-on" with the older ZX7´s.
It's easy on the 91-95. Oval the hole in the head during install

96+ has lots of complications.

- Oil return on left side of head interferes with the frame
- Head bolts need adapters
- Figure out a solution for the airbox since the carb spacing is different and ram air configuration.

The BRG kit and the work is done. The kit is expensive and you have to deal with BRG (I'm not a fan of these guys if you can't tell). Other people tackle these issues themselves.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
It's easy on the 91-95. Oval the hole in the head during install

96+ has lots of complications.

- Oil return on left side of head interferes with the frame
- Head bolts need adapters
- Figure out a solution for the airbox since the carb spacing is different and ram air configuration.

The BRG kit and the work is done. The kit is expensive and you have to deal with BRG (I'm not a fan of these guys if you can't tell). Other people tackle these issues themselves.
- This is how to deal with the P model issues without BRG, according to one of the many threads:

"First off the rear engine mounts line up perfectly as does the sprocket. That just leaves the front engine mounts. If you don' t want to go the BRG route, you can get around the front engine mount problem by wittling out the other engine mounting holes on the engine, this will give enough movement to install all the mounts on the standard frame.
Second up is the oil delivery pipe to the cylinder head. This will require a little frame modification in order to clear the banjo bolt.
Third up is the airbox, in order to use the 9r carbs try to get hold of a 9r B base for the airbox, the carb mounting face is then cut out and plastic welded (using soldering iron) into the base of the 7r airbox. this allows the use of 7r airbox with filter and ram air tubes."
Old 03-24-2019, 12:43 PM

I've been struggling with this for a few months , the easiest way is to use some ratchet straps from a strong bar in the the roof trusses and crank the motor up but get the front of the motor up then rear alternating , the motor needs to be tipped back from it's normal position until you can get the rear mounts in then raise for front mounts , what you will find is the front right mount will be fine but the left is a mile out (2-3 cm ) no amount of wittiling will work you will either need to take the bgr route or make some sort of bracket yourself and I can tell you it ain't easy you got next to no room there, another thing is the oil feed will not work there's not not enough Clarence to pass the frame so it's either but or make something yourself (again not easy) , good luck are you in the UK? The trouble I've found when looking for advice is that people are giving advice on their experience with the older jklm models and not the p which I understand is a much easier nearly plug and play
Old 03-25-2019, 08:31 AM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

7 of 9

MickeZX7R likes this.

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
Old 03-25-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

I now wonder one thing - should the black engine rack stay on the ZX9 engine or be removed when mounting it into the ZX7?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	motorbåge.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	9682  
Old 03-25-2019, 12:25 PM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

Now why would you suddenly think of a rack?

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
Old 03-25-2019, 01:39 PM

I Ride: 1996 ZX7R, 1996 ZX7RR (track)

Will not mount up to ZX7 frame so just leave it off. Serves no purpose other than added weight.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
Now why would you suddenly think of a rack?
- I just wanted to make sure that i had´nt misunderstood anything about that rack mounted to the ZX9 engine initially, before i proceed with this conversion : )
Old 03-25-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxfliddyr View Post
I've been struggling with this for a few months , the easiest way is to use some ratchet straps from a strong bar in the the roof trusses and crank the motor up but get the front of the motor up then rear alternating , the motor needs to be tipped back from it's normal position until you can get the rear mounts in then raise for front mounts , what you will find is the front right mount will be fine but the left is a mile out (2-3 cm ) no amount of wittiling will work you will either need to take the bgr route or make some sort of bracket yourself and I can tell you it ain't easy you got next to no room there, another thing is the oil feed will not work there's not not enough Clarence to pass the frame so it's either but or make something yourself (again not easy) , good luck are you in the UK? The trouble I've found when looking for advice is that people are giving advice on their experience with the older jklm models and not the p which I understand is a much easier nearly plug and play

- Thank´s for your input : )

I saw this on another forum, as posted earlier in this thread, the things that has to be modified is the banjo bolt for the oil delivery pipe, and the airbox (and i have the box from the 9):

"..If you don' t want to go the BRG route, you can get around the front engine mount problem by wittling out the other engine mounting holes on the engine, this will give enough movement to install all the mounts on the standard frame. Second up is the oil delivery pipe to the cylinder head. This will require a little frame modification in order to clear the banjo bolt. Third up is the airbox, in order to use the 9r carbs try to get hold of a 9r B base for the airbox, the carb mounting face is then cut out and plastic welded (using soldering iron) into the base of the 7r airbox. this allows the use of 7r airbox with filter and ram air tubes."

Last edited by MickeZX7R; 03-26-2019 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

So..what do one do with this oil banjo-frame contact situation?
"a little frame modification" - does that mean dremel work on the frame?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oil banjo.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	9700  
Old 03-26-2019, 11:51 AM
57x

I'm not a fan of cutting up a frame up clearance this. It is why you hear me and others mention the BRG kit. It's expensive but it works.

You don't have to buy the whole kit. Just pick and choose what you want out of the kit.
MickeZX7R likes this.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm not a fan of cutting up a frame up clearance this. It is why you hear me and others mention the BRG kit. It's expensive but it works.

You don't have to buy the whole kit. Just pick and choose what you want out of the kit.
- I can´t see how one can pick separate parts of that kit, just the complete kit?
https://brg-racing.myshopify.com/pro...9conversionkit
Old 03-26-2019, 01:53 PM
57x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeZX7R View Post
Quote:

- I can´t see how one can pick separate parts of that kit, just the complete kit?
https://brg-racing.myshopify.com/pro...9conversionkit
Send them an email
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in