Installing the ZX9 engine in my ZX7 frame - problem! - Page 2 - ZX Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

I Ride: 2xZX7R, 1 ZX9 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57x View Post
Send them an email
- Ill do that...if im able to find their well hidden email adress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Since i have you kind expert guys here in the thread already : ) - a different matter when it comes to optimize the bike - what are your opinions of this answer regarding using the plastic throttle sliders from ZX7 in the ZX9 carbs:

"B model ZX9R Carbs benefit the most from using J model ZX7 (1991-1992) carb slides."

Are those different from other ZX7 slides or what? Ive only heard that there is a benefit using the plastic sliders from ZX7 because the quicker response from them...not that it had to be J model specifically.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:42 AM
57x

I Ride: 2018 H2 SX SE, 2005 Z750S, ZX7R Superbikes

Unfortunately, you have a couple different opinions here. I like the 96+ ZX7R plastic slides, Turbo likes the 91-92 ZX7 slides. The two schools of thought, plastic opens quicker, metal closes quicker. I'll let Turbo talk why he prefers metal.

Here is the BRG email address:

[email protected]

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Unfortunately, you have a couple different opinions here. I like the 96+ ZX7R plastic slides, Turbo likes the 91-92 ZX7 slides. The two schools of thought, plastic opens quicker, metal closes quicker. I'll let Turbo talk why he prefers metal.

Here is the BRG email address:

[email protected]
- Ah, so the 91-92 are metal?
Well, to get the best out of both types, drilling the little hole would make the plastic ones both open and close fast...even if i would think the spring is the main factor for the closing.

Thanks for the mail adress.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:36 PM

I Ride: ZX9r

I messed with different springs and had to give up because I lost track/notes as to which springs were from the carbs I had at hand>
ZX9R C
ZX7R P
ZX9R B
,they are all different regrading wire diameter/coil's per inch/and overall length
In the end I bought some factory pro springs for the zx9B and used zx7r P plastic slides,a great and noticeable improvement with throttle response.
The zx9r B1 has 5mm thread main jets B2,3,4 have 6mm thread for the mains,thats the only difference with the jets apart from different jet sizes for different countries.
I also switched in different emulsion tubes, used the tubes with the higher hole count on all four carb's,the specs are in the oem manual
MickeZX7R likes this.

ZX9r B
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

The struggle continues for me...

I have now grinded the upper left frame mount flat without touching the frame itself with more than perhaps 0,5 mm on that spot.
The part mainly grinded is the threaded pipe that screws into the frame mount hole. (see attached pictures)

But the main issue is that the engine has to be tilted, first backwards to get the engine up in the frame, and then forward to be able to fit the lower rear mounts. Some free movement needed that is very tough with the engine up on a jack.

There are threads about this swap without BGR kit, but not a single thread describing how the engine is handled during installation *sigh*
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nedslipad tapp.png
Views:	7
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	9738   Click image for larger version

Name:	ö vä ramfäste slipat.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	9740  
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

So...small achievment in the garage tonight : )

The engine is now in and mounted with the three expected mounting points - rear low and high, and front right.

Front left was expected not to fit, and in all threads ive seen, the way is to drill out and widen the hole a bit to make it fit:
"the top engine mount on the frame and engine mount wont line up you get them as near as possable and run a 13mm drill through the top mount into the off set engine . EASY"

This is not EASY, and i wonder if it is possible at all, given the looks on these pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ö vä fäste.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	9760   Click image for larger version

Name:	ö vä fäste 3.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	9762  
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:22 PM
57x

Can we possibly create a few more threads for the same thing? How about in the ZX11 group?
MickeZX7R likes this.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Can we possibly create a few more threads for the same thing? How about in the ZX11 group?
- Ah thanks
I may also try with some ads in the major newspapers around the world.

I would like to keep this matter in one single thread of course, but since different contributors follow different threads, i realized i got more feedback when posting it more widely. Not optimal at all, but since i get the help..
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:32 PM

this just isn't correct after a he'll of a lot of research the only way to install the 9r engine into 7r p without the bgr kit is to grind a lot of material of the inside front left mount not just a couple of mm probably nearer 8- 10 mm to get oil pipe clearence then to either drill a new hole in the frame further foward or cut of the section where the mount is and weld it further foward so the original frame hole lines up
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:45 PM
57x

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxfliddyr View Post
this just isn't correct after a he'll of a lot of research the only way to install the 9r engine into 7r p without the bgr kit is to grind a lot of material of the inside front left mount not just a couple of mm probably nearer 8- 10 mm to get oil pipe clearence then to either drill a new hole in the frame further foward or cut of the section where the mount is and weld it further foward so the original frame hole lines up
He created a dozen or so threads on this build. Yeah, we know there is a lot of material that has to be removed, etc. OP didn't like what we had to say (mostly me) , so I think we (I) scared him off. He had to "be right", so we all watched as he continued on his path.

Also, I REALLY doubt that BRG told him $250 for the offset bolt, but whatever. I'm no fan of BRG and felt I was quite taken advantage of by them a long time ago. I won't try to build one of these again because they got the last penny I am willing to give them.
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:06 AM

I really hope the OP doesn’t decide to install ZX10R front end and swingarm. That should be about another 1/2 dozen new threads.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
He created a dozen or so threads on this build. Yeah, we know there is a lot of material that has to be removed, etc. OP didn't like what we had to say (mostly me) , so I think we (I) scared him off. He had to "be right", so we all watched as he continued on his path.

Also, I REALLY doubt that BRG told him $250 for the offset bolt, but whatever. I'm no fan of BRG and felt I was quite taken advantage of by them a long time ago. I won't try to build one of these again because they got the last penny I am willing to give them.
- Thanks for your input in this matter. Its been of help, and i have not rejected any advices at all, from anyone at all.

I tried to do it without the BRG-kit, as have others, but never rejected that solution. Since my time in the garage is very limited, i have ordered one of the parts from BRG to hopefully get this thing going a bit faster.
The price i mentioned is the price i got from them on mail. Cant see why anyone would benefit of lying on that one? : )

The few threads about this mounting issue is because there is different replys depending on wich part of the forum its posted at.

Last edited by MickeZX7R; 04-15-2019 at 11:07 PM.
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mte78 View Post
I really hope the OP doesnt decide to install ZX10R front end and swingarm. That should be about another 1/2 dozen new threads.
- You dont seem to like my threads or thoughts at all, so why waste your precious time reading to comment them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page