Clutch gasket... - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

I Ride: ZX-9R - 1997 B series - Cherry red, matt chassis, & Remus carbon exhaust

Clutch gasket...

Any tricks on how to change it ?

"If you follow another bike, you are ignoring that you ride a NINJA
So...don't or they'll call you names..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

I Ride: ZX-9R - 1997 B series - Cherry red, matt chassis, & Remus carbon exhaust

I guess not !?

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 01:14 PM

Just remove cover, clean up surfaces and refit making sure you tighten up bolts in opposites so the cover presses evenly creating the best seal. No leaks and hey presto. Just remember to refit the clutch arm into the basket. Pretty straight forward job

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanb1h View Post
Just remove cover, clean up surfaces and refit making sure you tighten up bolts in opposites so the cover presses evenly creating the best seal. No leaks and hey presto. Just remember to refit the clutch arm into the basket. Pretty straight forward job

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Good to know, will do, thanks gman !

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

So, took the fairing apart today, checked under the bike with a torch light for where the leak comes from.
Seems that there is a bunch of hardened fat right behind the water overflow bottle, a bit higher, don't see anywhere else where the leak could come from.
Will on Friday change the gasket, but anyone has another idea ?

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 07:29 PM

I Ride: 00 ZX-9r Lime Green 02 ZX-9r Lime Green, California E1 & F1 models, respectively

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomeg1 View Post
So, took the fairing apart today, checked under the bike with a torch light for where the leak comes from.
Seems that there is a bunch of hardened fat right behind the water overflow bottle, a bit higher, don't see anywhere else where the leak could come from.
Will on Friday change the gasket, but anyone has another idea ?
My E/F radiator overflow bottles are on the left. I think there was some leakage one time from the valve cover gasket, that rubber membrane that's still OEM, but nothing since. Both bikes have been ship-shape. And both are still on their original clutches. That's not saying much with regards to the F1, but I'm overly impressed with the E.

If I had some advice from experience, I'd offer it.

Alright! Trading bikes for a while was fun.I'm ready for mine back. No, seriously, get off my bike. Ahh, what a privilege it is to have such a sweet ride.
At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. She's the only big-bore canyon carving hypermiler I know of. -- Picture gallery, K&N air filter, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG touring shield, & otherwise stock.
Science & OODA literate. ACA covered.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_ZX-9r View Post
My E/F radiator overflow bottles are on the left. I think there was some leakage one time from the valve cover gasket, that rubber membrane that's still OEM, but nothing since. Both bikes have been ship-shape. And both are still on their original clutches. That's not saying much with regards to the F1, but I'm overly impressed with the E.

If I had some advice from experience, I'd offer it.
Thanks E1, mine (overflow bottle) is on the right side, covering the clutch.
I am not too worry about it.
It was not a major leak, but was worried about getting some oil on my back tire...not good at all you can imagine !
I will undo the clutch gasket tomorrow and see. probably that the OEM has to be changed after 17 years of use, not worried, will inform tomorrow and post some pics...

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

So guys, I did the clutch gasket yesterday, the bike is pretty ready for the 1st of April, a couple of cleaning still to do.

Here are the promised pics (click on them to enlarge) :

The draining of the clutch oil. I used a carton board to have it dripped in a bucket, as I only wanted to empty the clutch container.

1. Where the drip was coming from :

2. The emptying of the clutch lodge :

3. The uncovered clutch :

4. The polishing of the inside of the cover. Here, the old sticking gasket was removed with a very sharp knife-like instrument, being careful not to get any scratches on to it, then, it was polished manually with very thin sand paper :

5. The cover with the new gasket is placed back on the bike :

6. Now just the fairing needs to be put back on the 9, it's a bit of a bitch to do that alone, but make sure you place under the bike a cover or a carton. It will make it easier to slide the fairing under, and will prevent scratches.

The last thing I wanted to point out, is that the replacement of the clutch cover screwing should be done "cross wise", and the pressure applied on the screws of +/- 10 N (Newtons - 1 N = 9.81 m/s). Now where it is important, is that when you are done re-screwing all the screws, wait between 15 to 30 minutes so that the gasket can rest and "relax". Then, you should do the step of applying again the same pressure on all the nuts to make sure that the pressure is the same everywhere and correctly applied. I used a special instrument which torques when the pressure is reached, so you know you are good.

Now, the meaning of this post is not to re-invent the wheel, but maybe, and this by also posting some pics, only done to help people who have never done it before.

Hope it can be used for other people future use.

nomeg1

Last edited by nomeg1; 03-22-2014 at 10:44 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 04:45 PM

I take my clutch cover off every weekend to check clutch plates after races. Havent replaced a gasket in 10 years. Actually have 2 with the spacer for my slider clutch, and I go around clockwise too. But who reads directions..lol
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 07:08 PM

I Ride: 1997 ZX9R & HDNR

Quote:
So guys, I did the clutch gasket yesterday, the bike is pretty ready for the 1st of April, a couple of cleaning still to do.

The last thing I wanted to point out, is that the replacement of the clutch cover screwing should be done "cross wise", and the pressure applied on the screws of +/- 10 N [/B] (Newtons - 1 N = 9.81 m/s). [/B]
nomeg1
Good reference for future jobs, with pics and everything! Digna DIY. Just a little repair: 1N isn't 9.81m/s2. Because 9.81 m/s2 is the resultant acceleration from the gravity force. So the apple gets 9.81 meters per second quickier that it was at last second (at least in vaccum). 1 Newton is 0.2248 pounds of force, or about 102 grams of force. 10 N rougly 1kg of torque.

I'm Not picking on your foot, since I'm sure you know that and just made a small mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideit View Post
Rosettaflyer is right,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta Squidge View Post
He isn't wrong this time.
Quote:
No sweat, and you are right
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blainethemono View Post
You are correct.... the breakage of the polymer chains is what causes the degradation, not the destruction of the molecules themselves.
Captain, Oil Slingin, Fuel Sniffin, High Flying Post Whore of ZXF.

Sir Long Quote Attachin, Goat Urine Huntin, Holy Oil Batman Whore of ZXF.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx9dragracer View Post
I take my clutch cover off every weekend to check clutch plates after races. Havent replaced a gasket in 10 years. Actually have 2 with the spacer for my slider clutch, and I go around clockwise too. But who reads directions..lol
Well, my 9 is going to be next month 17 years old, and I believe it is the first time it has ever been changed, but hey, good for you.
You are not racing with a fairing I take ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosettaflyer View Post
Good reference for future jobs, with pics and everything! Digna DIY. Just a little repair: 1N isn't 9.81m/s2. Because 9.81 m/s2 is the resultant acceleration from the gravity force. So the apple gets 9.81 meters per second quickier that it was at last second (at least in vaccum). 1 Newton is 0.2248 pounds of force, or about 102 grams of force. 10 N rougly 1kg of torque.

I'm Not picking on your foot, since I'm sure you know that and just made a small mistake.
No sweat, and you are right (I gave the unit of 1 G (gravity) : 9.81 m/s which is the earth down-force acceleration (the apple !)), actually, 1 N : 1 KG m/s (kilo * meter / squ. seconds), or 1 N is the force of Earth's gravity on a mass of about 102 g = (1⁄9.81 kg), or ≈ 0.10197 kp (kilogram-force).
And yes, I hope others will profit from the pics...

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 04:25 PM

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a jerk. Yes, I do have full fairing on it. Once you take it off, it becomes old hand. Tip it to side so oil doesn't come out and pull everything off. Hope it all went well for you and got the leak fixed.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx9dragracer View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a jerk. Yes, I do have full fairing on it. Once you take it off, it becomes old hand. Tip it to side so oil doesn't come out and pull everything off. Hope it all went well for you and got the leak fixed.
No sweat dude, I understood what you meant.
Old hand ? I think it's a bitch...
Yes, all went fine (pretty easy stuff, just remain clean), now, next week Tuesday I will fire it up for the first time this year, and start my season !

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

OK guys, getting there...
Fired the 9 yesterday not without help of a booster, as the battery was too weak to crank the engine.
Did 1 mistake, did not close the gas income during winter nor emptied the carbs, so my carbs were sort of a bit stuck, probably from this Bio-ethanol stuff they add in the gas today over here. Rattled a bit, let is run for 15', and all was fine.
After the clutch change, I leveled the oil, but as foreseen, will have to add a touch Tuesday when I will be doing my 2014 inaugural ride.
Can't wait, and they announce a full sun-shining day with t around 15/17 C (59/63 F), Yeehaaa...
Let's the good times roll...

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 07:58 AM

I Ride: 00 ZX-9r Lime Green 02 ZX-9r Lime Green, California E1 & F1 models, respectively

Let us the good times roll?

The hydrocarbon fumes from the oil are making you loopy Nomeg.

Nice right-up and pictorial!

Alright! Trading bikes for a while was fun.I'm ready for mine back. No, seriously, get off my bike. Ahh, what a privilege it is to have such a sweet ride.
At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. She's the only big-bore canyon carving hypermiler I know of. -- Picture gallery, K&N air filter, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG touring shield, & otherwise stock.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Let us the good times roll?

The hydrocarbon fumes from the oil are making you loopy Nomeg.

Nice right-up and pictorial!
Hu ? wrongly written ?

No, ain't sniffed no fumes, long time since...don't need to, got my family, and the 9 !

Thanks !

PS : by the way, the clutch bolts were tightened with a pressure of 12 N, and not 10.

Last edited by nomeg1; 03-27-2014 at 10:22 AM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Hu ? wrongly written ?

No, ain't sniffed no fumes, long time since...don't need to, got my family, and the 9 !

Thanks !

PS : by the way, the clutch bolts were tightened with a pressure of 12 N, and not 10.
Uh-huh. Let's = 'Let us...'
It's = It is.
Possessive form of 'its' is always i-t-s without an apostrophe, as in 'its skin.'

No big. Just correcting it because it sounded oddly funny and because I think I learn something when I look up and explain why.

12 Nm is like nearly nothing, right? I'd err on the side of caution with the clutch and go with 12 instead of 10.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Uh-huh. Let's = 'Let us...'
It's = It is.
Possessive form of 'its' is always i-t-s without an apostrophe, as in 'its skin.'

No big. Just correcting it because it sounded oddly funny and because I think I learn something when I look up and explain why.

12 Nm is like nearly nothing, right? I'd err on the side of caution with the clutch and go with 12 instead of 10.
Yeah, well my mistake,I knew it, but the English teacher at the Uni was a bit*h...
12 N-m is what my friend mechanic suggested, more was almost impossible to tight the nuts anymore, as he started w/ 15 N-m.

But yes, I agree, it doesn't sound much as 12 N-m is only 1.22 kilogram-force meter or 8.85 pound-force foot (checked a conversion chart !)

Went today to the workshop to check the oil level. Was a bit low still (from the loss of uncovering the clutch), but now, I filled it up a bit too much, goes over the middle level, not good & shite !
We'll let it run Tuesday, and then see. If ever, my friend has an oil-vacuum-sucker.
He doesn't like it to be too high he said !

Last edited by nomeg1; 03-28-2014 at 03:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page