Kleen air/float mod - ZX Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
bcurrier2's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Canada

Posts: 46
Kleen air/float mod

Morning all.
The bike is a 99 zx7r.
Slip on d+d
K&N air filter.
170/180 jets with 35 pilots.
1 shim under needle.
Screws at 1 3/4 out.
I have the bike apart right now while waiting for a shim kit. While its there I'm considering doing the Kleen air / float bowl mod. My question is will this require smaller jets?
I have gotten tons of info from this and other forums and this mod has mixed reviews. Is it even worth doing?
Thanks in advance.

I know is says Kleenex mod. I couldn't figure out how to edit topic. Sorry


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by bcurrier2; 02-19-2013 at 06:37 AM.
bcurrier2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 08:52 AM
Avi
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Israel
I Ride: ZX7R 98

Posts: 152
hi
first a disclaimer I am only getting the full system in a week and haven't touched anything other yet. however, as far as said on this forum, the kleen air mod has nothing to do with the carbs or air/fuel mixture for obvious reasons,but the float valve does, and will require smaller jets.

I do want to ask you what shims are you using for the carb needles?
I am gonna get a similar setup and need a starting point until I get a jetting kit.

Thanks,
Avi
Avi is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Senior Member
 
e1_ZX-9r's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
From: Blackfoot, ID (~5,000' AMSL)
I Ride: 00 ZX-9r Lime Green 02 ZX-9r Lime Green, California E1 & F1 models, respectively

Posts: 9,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avi View Post
I do want to ask you what shims are you using for the carb needles?
I am gonna get a similar setup and need a starting point until I get a jetting kit.

Thanks,
Avi
$0.59/set of 4 fiber washers @ Home Depot in their specialty drawers. Splurge and get two bags. You can afford it. ZXF Thread <here>

Alright! Trading bikes for a while was fun.I'm ready for mine back. No, seriously, get off my bike. Ahh, what a privilege it is to have such a sweet ride.
At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. She's the only big-bore canyon carving hypermiler I know of. -- Picture gallery, K&N air filter, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG touring shield, & otherwise stock.
Science & OODA literate. ACA covered.
e1_ZX-9r is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 01:17 PM
Senior Member
 
ninjanut's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: hamilton,ON,Canada
I Ride: 1996 ZX7R, 1996 ZX7RR (track)

Posts: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcurrier2 View Post
Morning all.
The bike is a 99 zx7r.
Slip on d+d
K&N air filter.
170/180 jets with 35 pilots.
1 shim under needle.
Screws at 1 3/4 out.
I have the bike apart right now while waiting for a shim kit. While its there I'm considering doing the Kleen air / float bowl mod. My question is will this require smaller jets?
I have gotten tons of info from this and other forums and this mod has mixed reviews. Is it even worth doing?
Thanks in advance.

I know is says Kleenex mod. I couldn't figure out how to edit topic. Sorry


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Is it worth it? Sure, it doesn't cost anything and takes minutes to do. You save a bit of weight/clutter and pressurizes the bowls properly. It isn't done as a performance mod that will yield H/P. You will not need to re-jet as a result of the mod either.
ninjanut is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
bcurrier2's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Canada

Posts: 46
Kleen air/float mod

I'll try the mod out. What about my fuel screws and floats? Should either one of those be adjusted?
Thanks


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
bcurrier2 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 AM
Senior Member
 
ninjanut's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: hamilton,ON,Canada
I Ride: 1996 ZX7R, 1996 ZX7RR (track)

Posts: 2,052
Probably will not be required. Also depends on where the floats are set now?? Usually the fuel screws are somewhere around 2 turns so you are in the ballpark. Do the mod and then see how it runs/feels. You may need to fine tune the settings.
ninjanut is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
bcurrier2's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Canada

Posts: 46
Kleen air/float mod

Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to ride. It's cold here in Ontario.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
bcurrier2 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
bcurrier2's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Canada

Posts: 46
Kleen air/float mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjanut View Post
Probably will not be required. Also depends on where the floats are set now?? Usually the fuel screws are somewhere around 2 turns so you are in the ballpark. Do the mod and then see how it runs/feels. You may need to fine tune the settings.
My floats are at 11.5 mm


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
bcurrier2 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Senior Member
 
ninjanut's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: hamilton,ON,Canada
I Ride: 1996 ZX7R, 1996 ZX7RR (track)

Posts: 2,052
Float height should be around 14-15mm or so. I actually set the fuel levels myself so my floats end up 15-16mm. Most guys seem to set float heights, I just have always used the fuel level method for accuracy.
ninjanut is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome