Need your toughts..., (carbs) - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

I Ride: zx7r 1997 , zx10r 2011

Need your toughts..., (carbs)

Im a little lost and I need your advices.

Saturday I warmed up the bike, re sync everything, tested on the road, fabulous midle range ( with the stock needles shimed), climbs um the revs very fast..., just perfect.

Yesterday started the bike when cold, and it starts to stumbling like in this video:

Removed the plugs and they are black ( maybe running to rich )

Is the second time this happen.., running fine when warmed, but when started from cold, I think its fouling the spark..., what I should look for?

----------------------------------------------
zx7r 1997:

> 4-2-1 Exhaust
> Stock air-filter
> Float vent mod
> 160-170 Mains
> 2 turns out
> 15,5mm floats
> Stock needles shimed (0,3mm)
> Cobra braided brake lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 05:37 AM

I Ride: 1994 ZXR 750 / CBR250RR

Yes it does certainly sound like the spark breaking down, Have you checked/tested your coils?
I thought my stock coils were fine but when I changed over to a new set of Dyna coils (About $165US Incl postage to Australia) I realised how bad the stock coils were running, They picked up the idle speed (Had to wing the idle screw down after changing the coils) & made it run much better

Could simply be one of your coils getting tired as these bikes are getting close to 20 years old
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 07:44 AM

I Ride: '93 "zx7" REobtainium

If the coils arent the problem try running a hotter spark plug

Sir Rag Filterin', Long Ass Waitin', Assless PJ Wearin' Post Whore of ZXF
1993 "zxr750" REobtainium
1996 zx7r P1(aka Zombiehorse)
1993 zxr750 L1(Totaled/donor bike)
2010 250R(Voluntary Repo..)
1992 zx11(Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 185EZ View Post
I don't have any friends so I would have to vote,
1 - I like to do it all by myself

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 AM
Banned

I Ride: A warhorse H model ZX7, 93 ZX7/9

When startin the bike cold. What is the process you use? It should be pull choke, no throttle, hit button right? The it shoots up to 3-5k rpm and warms up. Drop choke and ride? It sounds like you have fuel getting past the slide needles. Pull the tank, airbox, and start the bike. Watch the needle jets and make sure there is no fuel being pulled past them at idle. If there is you need to inspect the float seat sealing o-ring.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

@NINJAINOZ&@92Ninjas:
Yesterdar I realized the coil3 and it was very loose from the cap..., removed all , tight them again just to be sure, but no joy..., however now, it starts much better them before, definitly I had a problem with that coil. Tonight I will throw some new sparkplugs in there to check...

@christikitty:
yep just started like you said..., but it stands at 3000rpm only and when it starts to raise up, I will remove slowly the chock to keep arrou the 3k.
I think you are hitting the bullseye..., I shimmed the stock needles with 0,5mm washers..., could be the needles not seating properly.

zx7r 1997:

> 4-2-1 Exhaust
> Stock air-filter
> Float vent mod
> 160-170 Mains
> 2 turns out
> 15,5mm floats
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 10:30 AM

I Ride: 00 ZX-9r Lime Green 02 ZX-9r Lime Green, California E1 & F1 models, respectively

Maybe this is obvious, but overlooked. Are the spark plug tops exposed threads or is there a cap screwed on over the threads? The coils are designed to work without the cap and thus they 'zip' down over the spark plug threads.

It's happened before.

Alright! Trading bikes for a while was fun.I'm ready for mine back. No, seriously, get off my bike. Ahh, what a privilege it is to have such a sweet ride.
At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. She's the only big-bore canyon carving hypermiler I know of. -- Picture gallery, K&N air filter, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG touring shield, & otherwise stock.
Science & OODA literate. ACA covered.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

e1_ZX-9r:
just check and no caps..., the threads are exposed.

Changed the sparks for a brand new ones and it works fine..., so definitly was a faulty SPlug. Now I just need to find what cause it, cause the SPlugs have just 1 trackday on it. They are completly black (carbon fouled), I supposed caused by a too rich condition..., may be also too cold spark?

here some pics:

zx7r 1997:

> 4-2-1 Exhaust
> Stock air-filter
> Float vent mod
> 160-170 Mains
> 2 turns out
> 15,5mm floats
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 06:18 PM

I Ride: ZX7RR N1

Are you using fresh gas?

Have you checked the vacuum adapters for leaks? (the adapters used for syncing carbs)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 06:32 PM

I Ride: 00 ZX-9r Lime Green 02 ZX-9r Lime Green, California E1 & F1 models, respectively

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorresZx6r View Post
...Changed the sparks for a brand new ones and it works fine..., so definitely was a faulty SPlug. Now I just need to find what cause it, cause the SPlugs have just 1 trackday on it. They are completely black (carbon fouled), I supposed caused by a too rich condition..., may be also too cold spark?

IMO, if not incorrect heat range, then it's time for some rejet tuning the FP way. I know what I'd do, but you rejet however you feel comfortable.

Alright! Trading bikes for a while was fun.I'm ready for mine back. No, seriously, get off my bike. Ahh, what a privilege it is to have such a sweet ride.
At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. She's the only big-bore canyon carving hypermiler I know of. -- Picture gallery, K&N air filter, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG touring shield, & otherwise stock.
Science & OODA literate. ACA covered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page