1987 ZX750 trying to get oil filter out. - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

1987 ZX750 trying to get oil filter out.

I found a thread where someone was able to get it out but they didn't explain how. My filter won't clear the exhaust under the bike. Is there anyother way besides pulling off the exhaust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

I just ended up taking of the header and it dropped right out. Still an extra 2 hours to the oil change. Haha. Have a new respect for moto mechanics.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 09:43 PM

I Ride: 1987 Ninja 750, 1981 Honda CB400T Hawk, 1978 Honda Twinstar, 1984 Yamaha XJ750RL

Don't you love how they made it so you can come within about a 1/4 of an inch of getting it out but can't be done without loosening off the exhaust system. I managed to get mine out by loosening off the header bolts and removing the rear mounting bolts but even then it took some choice words and wiggling to get the filter out.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Yeah it's ridiculous. Not to mention all the body parts you have to take off just to get to the header. After all that I decided to do a few other things since I have it all apart. Ordered oil pan gasket and a new generator (well used). Hopefully I can get it all back together. Went the extra mile and bagged all the screws and bolts.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 06:41 AM

I Ride: 1988 zx750

If you have questions on reassembly...post them. I've taken my 88 all the way apart and put it back together again more times than I care to admit. I was telling my wife I have most of the bolts and screws memorized at this point.

Good luck. Keep the old machines running!!!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Will do thanks. My bike happened to be missing quite a few screws and bolts already. Can't wait to ride it. I think I need to replace my throttle cable have you done that yet?
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 06:27 AM

Yep, been through the throttle...that won't be bad for you. Of course the tank will have to come off. The only hard part is getting the cable out of the linkage on the carb. I just twist the throttle open and hold the linkage. This allows for slack on the cable. Use a narrow set of needle nose to slide the cable off. Post with problems.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 06:54 AM

I Ride: Honda VTR1000 Superhawk

not sure about similarities but..

I was told by a mechanic that the center bolt of the oil filter cover (on my 600r) will pull out of the center allowing the cover to slide past the exhaust. I haven't tried it myself but you might want to check with another mechanic about this. My first attempt, I loosened the header bolts too, but was told it wasn't necessary. The setup on a 750 can't be much different than mine. Tim

86 ZX600R vance & hines 4-1, flush mounts, custom paint dark blue with silver flames (SOLD)
05 Honda Superhawk 996
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I changed the oil pan gasket which went pretty smooth. Oil filter's back in. Now I'm trying to tackle the carbs but can't seem to get them out. Throttle cable is off and all the bolts are loose any tricks? I've read my haynes and I've done what it's asked.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 06:12 AM

I Ride: '00 ZX7/9R, '84 GPZ900R

You have to be a bit heavy handed to get the carbs off. Make sure you have loosened the clamps right off, then get a good hold of the carbs and push them forwards and backwards. Eventually you'll get some movement and all of a sudden they'll come off. The rubbers are very thick and have very little flix in them. I think from memory there is also a ridge on the carbs that seats into a corrisponding step in the rubbers.

When you put them back in try putting a little copper-ease on the insides of the rubbers. You dont have to work so hard to get them back in then.

I think the ZXR750 and ZX7R must be different cus my oil filteris easy to get at, don't think it has anything to do with the fact that my 7 has an Akropovic exhaust. What I would recommend to anyone play with their exhaust headers is to replace the manky steel studs and nuts with stainless bolts - no rust, no messing
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

I got a buddy coming over to give me a hand. It's just akward trying to get both hands in there so I figure if we each take a side should get them out. Thanks for the input.

Yeah I had to drop the exhaust but what oldschol said about dropping the bolt makes sense. It would probably clear that way.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 11:25 AM

Yeah, don't be afraid to put some muscle on them to get them off. The first time I pulled mine...they had not been off in a while, so the rubber had kind of sealed. Once it broke loose it became easy to slide off and on.

Just be careful...if you pry to hard down, you can crack the carb boots (if they are original like mine). Concentrate on pulling, not just prying them down. You'll get 'em. Two guys on it will make it alot easier too.

Resist the urge to pry between the boots and carbs with anything (like a screwdriver) unless you want to buy new ones.

Good luck!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 12:51 PM

I Ride: 1993 ZXR750L1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
I think the ZXR750 and ZX7R must be different cus my oil filteris easy to get at, don't think it has anything to do with the fact that my 7 has an Akropovic exhaust. What I would recommend to anyone play with their exhaust headers is to replace the manky steel studs and nuts with stainless bolts - no rust, no messing
He's working on a 87, it's really a GPx750. Totally different than the ZXR750 & ZX7R, the ZXR replaced it in 89.

1993 ZXR750L1
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Alright got the carbs out now if I want to clean them do I need to order any parts or can I just take them apart to clean them?

Also I'm trying to bolt the header back on and this is a far as I can get it to the block. Isn't it supposed to sit flush? Well, the flanges to the block?

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 09:57 PM

I Ride: 1998 zx7r

mine dont sit flush just torq them to factory spec i snapped 2 studs trying to get them tight

i dont run from the police they just cant catch me
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedout7r View Post
mine dont sit flush just torq them to factory spec i snapped 2 studs trying to get them tight
Alright. I stopped wrenching cause I didn't want to snap them. Thanks.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Another question. 18mm spark plugs bought a spark plug socket and it doesn't fit in the cylinder head. Where do I find a slim wall for a spark plug?
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 02:36 PM

I Ride: 91 ZX7R,93 ZX7R,00 ZX12R, 87 YSR50, 87 GSXR750,93 ZX7, 92 ZX7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanginca View Post
Another question. 18mm spark plugs bought a spark plug socket and it doesn't fit in the cylinder head. Where do I find a slim wall for a spark plug?
The dealer or a motorcycle salvage yard or ebay.

Get a complete tool kit for your bike if you can.The only part you really need is the spark plugwrench but the rest is handy to have.Check your pm's too.You have mail.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him --- better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

My Turbo ZX12R Build:
https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-12...ave-today.html

My 1993 ZX7R (M1)
https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...r-real-m1.html

https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...-m1-naked.html
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 02:37 PM

I Ride: 91 ZX7R,93 ZX7R,00 ZX12R, 87 YSR50, 87 GSXR750,93 ZX7, 92 ZX7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanginca View Post
Alright. I stopped wrenching cause I didn't want to snap them. Thanks.
Heat cycle the engine then recheck the nuts to make sure they're tight.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him --- better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

My Turbo ZX12R Build:
https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-12...ave-today.html

My 1993 ZX7R (M1)
https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...r-real-m1.html

https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...-m1-naked.html
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:42 AM

I Ride: '00 ZX7/9R, '84 GPZ900R

If you're stripping the carbs, I always replace float bowl rubbers and float level plungers. Make sure you strip out ALL rubber components before using alcohol based carb cleaner cuz it does funny thing to rubber. If the bike has been running fine I wouldn't take out the pilot or air bleed jets as they can be a problem to set-up again. You can take out the main jet and defuser tube to check that they aren't gummed.

Oh, and don't mix the bits up from carb to carb, do one at a time. Wow, the way we're going you'll have a totally new bike at the end, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page