whats involved with switching a head? - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

I Ride: 1990 zx7 1992 zx7r 2000 zx9(current bike) 2001 gsxr 619 1981 kz1000

Question whats involved with switching a head?

i've worked on many 2 strokes and smaller 4's but never this big, so not sure if i should attempt this or not ( just short on cash) i need a head swithced from one motor to another, basicallywhen i bought my 1992 zx7 it had a 92 750 with bottom end damage but P O sent it out head to be ported and cleaned up, before he realized bottom end had chunk missing (pics are on my build thread)

so i've picked up another engine a 93 motor that has a broken valve in head, so wondering how hard and degree of difficulty changing good head onto good bottom end? i cant time it, never done that but is it worth changing head and having it just timed after or should i just hand over all the parts to a exp mechanic? like i said iam pretty good with stuff and engines can do anything on car engine just never been this deep into a bike

thanks

"Fuck off I got work to do!"

-Cyrus. TPB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 09:17 AM

I Ride: 2008 CBR1000RR, 2000 ZX9r sold

Well it's probably a little involved for me to try to explain on here, but a good manual could probably walk you through the process. I would just add that you want both surfaces, head and top of cylinders very clean, and dry. And while you have the head off have someone throw a straight edge on it to make sure it isn't warped.

Oh, and if the 93 engine you picked up dropped a valve, I hope the valve didn't hit the piston.

Good luck.

Sir Flower Child, Welcome Wagon Howdy Whore of ZXF

Quote:
I much prefer being on 2 wheels, more maneuverable and quicker than the pack so I can snake through the stupid. --Shifty1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 185EZ View Post
So EZ, a caveman can do it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

I Ride: 1990 zx7 1992 zx7r 2000 zx9(current bike) 2001 gsxr 619 1981 kz1000

very true crossing my fingers its ok but just talked to guy locally he's going to do it and work with me on money and time plus he would be able to see any futur problems i might miss

"Fuck off I got work to do!"

-Cyrus. TPB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page