Lapping kit oil pump. - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

I Ride: ZX7R 1996 road bike, ZX7R 1997 race bike

Lapping kit oil pump.

Just wondered if anybody has fitted a new kit oil pump and it been a bit on the tight side? It feels like if I pushed it in I wouldnít get it out again. It would be an interference fit. I know it needs to be snug, but this is too tight.

Looking at the kit manual it does say that if the kit pump is too tight then to lap the surface to make it fit. So I assume this was not uncommon back in the day.

I can always go to a machinist to get this done, but I was wondering if I am missing a trick not doing it myself. Has anybody done this? If so, I would be curious to know what method is used. With the shaft hole going through off-center it makes it a challenge to spin perfectly central.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 08:32 AM

I Ride: 1996 ZX7R, 1996 ZX7RR (track)

Probably the only one on here with any experience with kit parts would be CCM. Most of us don’t have the need (racing like you) so never bother with exotic parts. Is there any other parts that need to be used in unison with the kit oil pump?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

I Ride: ZX7R 1996 road bike, ZX7R 1997 race bike

I worked out a way to do this, although not precise engineering, it did the trick well. Spinning it with the hole being off centre was always the challenge. I made a bracket out of a piece of metal plate to bolt onto the 3 pump housing bolt holes. This had a bolt through the middle that could be locked off and I could centre that bolt a pillar drill. It took a bit of messing about with a dial gauge on the housing while spinning the drill chuck by hand to get it perfectly central, but once it was done it would spin nice and straight. I held some fine wet and dry on it, using oil instead of water and slowly took it down. A pillar drill does have a little bit of movement in the chuck compared to a milling machine which would work better... but I don't have one to use. A lathe would do the trick too.

It is only a smidge oversized compared to the stock pump housing. Stock is exactly 58mm diameter and the kit one new in the packet is 58.18mm. I took it down to just a tiny bit above 58mm to get a real snug fit. I presume Kawasaki produced the race ones like this to allow you to get a real good fit.. even it it was a pain in the arse making it fit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page