Zx750K Rear suspension - ZX Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By evan_calgary

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Zx750K Rear suspension

Has anyone tried fitting any other rear absorber into 91-92 K model?
Someone told me the shocks from zx11 D will fit. Does anyone has some experience here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:42 PM

Can I ask what your looking for in a different shock. As in better handling or more adjustable. Street or track. I don’t think the zx11D shock has any adjustments except ride height.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:41 AM

These are really quite limited motorcycles and would be best kept in somewhat original shape. Don't get me wrong, you are free to do what you wish but most here would love to see the K's stay as K's. I have a proper M shock I could spare if you are missing one. The spring rate may not be correct but the rest of it is.
Necron9d9 likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:35 PM

I Ride: 1990 ZX-7 H2, 1992 ZX-7R K2, 1992 ZX-7/9, 2002 Ducati 900ie Supersport, etc...

agreed as above.

Any J/K/L/M/P - with battery box butchery for the piggyback P reservoir to fit - will work just fine but the "R" shocks as in K/M were fully adjustable and have remote reservoirs. Bleeding edge stuff for their time for sure.

I'd suggest you just get it Race Tech or whatever is your preference rebuilt to suit your weight and personal preferences.

With a P linkage installed it will be the best shock you've ever experienced (assuming you haven't had custom valving and springs for your specific weight before) and worth every single dollar. Your mind will be absolutely blown by how good it is.

These bikes are rare and you'd be doing yourself and the bike a disservice to remove part of the recipe that makes a K a K. Rebuilding your stock K shock will put you on the resto mod path with a seemingly stock rear boinger that will outperform pretty much any off the shelf stocker from any bike/year.

Last edited by Necron9d9; 04-15-2019 at 08:40 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:15 AM

I think that is a great way to put it Necron9d9. The M shock I have has one race season of use and that is all so likely would not even need a rebuild.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Absolutely agree with all you guys. Like many, it's a better late than never situation for me, when I finally had the chance to buy this K2 2.5yrs ago. Don't have the money when it was new as a 18yr old then.

Btw, I'm on tiny Singapore here. Only 3 K are here, one already taken off registration. 2 on the roads. Mine was dead. Ex owner left it to die in the back on workshop. I had to save it.
Fast forward, it's now finally out of the workshop and running - running ok i think, not perfect. There were many missing physical items, seat, seat pad, signals, windscreen, mirrors, FCR were not able to idle etc. But all sorted out now.

Anyhow, the ride was better than i thought, except the rear shock is hard, hitting any bums or uneven surface, the butt gets lifted. The original shock were seized as i was told. And it's a 11's shock installed by the shop. I'm asking for the best alternative options or advise from you guys.

Here a picture to share on my last Sunday morning run...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K2_Spruce.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	9830  

Last edited by duckcula; 04-20-2019 at 01:34 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:22 AM

I believe the 94 zx9 shock bolts right up and has the same look as the 7r shock. Someone please tell me if this is incorrect information.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:05 AM

That bike looks great. You have a good point any shock is better than a seized one. Try not to do anything you can't reverse later!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:18 AM

I Ride: 1990 ZX-7 H2, 1992 ZX-7R K2, 1992 ZX-7/9, 2002 Ducati 900ie Supersport, etc...

[QUOTE=duckcula;4071674]Absolutely agree with all you guys. Like many, it's a better late than never situation for me, when I finally had the chance to buy this K2 2.5yrs ago. Don't have the money when it was new as a 18yr old then.

Btw, I'm on tiny Singapore here. Only 3 K are here, one already taken off registration. 2 on the roads. Mine was dead. Ex owner left it to die in the back on workshop. I had to save it.
Fast forward, it's now finally out of the workshop and running - running ok i think, not perfect. There were many missing physical items, seat, seat pad, signals, windscreen, mirrors, FCR were not able to idle etc. But all sorted out now.

Anyhow, the ride was better than i thought, except the rear shock is hard, hitting any bums or uneven surface, the butt gets lifted. The original shock were seized as i was told. And it's a 11's shock installed by the shop. I'm asking for the best alternative options or advise from you guys.

Here a picture to share on my last Sunday morning run...[/QUOTE

OK man, so you should talk to Evan about his M shock, same same as the K originally was and you dont devalue your ride. Just figure out what the weight difference between u 2 guys is regarding the spring and job done...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:08 AM

It has the stock M spring on it. I was under the impression the M and K stock springs were different weights. Is this not correct?

Has 1 season of racing in 1993 and sat since then. Some corrosion on the spring from a blown up battery that ended the racing season but otherwise likely less than a thousand miles since new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page