OEM or Repaint on this M? - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

OEM or Repaint on this M?

Hi All,

I was taking a look at this M that sold on eBay a while ago. I'm working on a restoration of a K right now.

Does this look like OEM paint or a repaint?

It really looks like a large number of the decals (front cowl blue especially) are under the clear coat. OEM the decals were above clear right?

I really think this frame was also given a coat of clear. The VIN sticker is decidedly yellow but the frame appears much more glossy than I have seen before for OEM paint prior to the 96-03 generation frames.

Thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Kawasa...l2557#viTabs_0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:00 PM

I Ride: 1990 ZX-7 H2, 1992 ZX-7R K2, 1992 ZX-7/9, 2002 Ducati 900ie Supersport, etc...

If you look at the condition of the oil warning label on the upper inner fairing inset on the RT side, now that looks like its been there long enough to cover 23K miles in the elements over the past 26+ years.

Now compared to the rest of the glossy bits, the lowers and especially the chin cowl and belly pan area, how is it that there wasn't a single stone chip acquired in all that time? Impossible not to pick up some color from usage.

So based on that alone I would say respray, well done and professional, but add in the glossy frame and the decals under the clear and it's definitely not OEM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Necron9d9. I was thinking the same thing based on many tell tale signs. It seemed like quite a material item neglected from the description of the bike.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:00 PM

I Ride: 1993 ZX-7R, Mad Ducs

Late to the party but definitely repainted. It's hard to tell from photos but I spot orange peel on the side fairings. Frame was masked off at weld and appears a hair different shade from the uncleared part with the swingarm pivot. It's definitely glossy and so is the swingarm. I think the fork bottoms as well. Whoever owned it likely just wanted it to look nice but definitely not original as has been pointed out. When I restore my M I'll be respraying everything but as close to OEM as possible. Having said that, I'll also be clearcoating over the decals for longevity and shine. Keep in mind that the decals available for these bikes are not the same as OEM spec from back in the day. Do what makes you happy.

1993 ZX-7R restoration project
1994 ZX-7 Frankenbike project?
Too many others to mention...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Well with 3 big yes's I think it is highly likely a repaint. I would be extremely upset as the buyer with this being sold as original or undisclosed.

Thanks everyone for the opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page