93 ZXR750 M rebuild - ZX Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

93 ZXR750 M rebuild

Hi guys,

It has been some time since I last posted about my M1. Just to jog your memories, this is what I am starting with:

Nothing much has happened in the last 6 months apart from slowly stripping the parts from the partially reassembled roller. While it looks ok, only the outsides of the frame rails have been cleaned and stripped. The inside and all the swing-arm pivot casting area are all covered with flaky, half stripped paint, or layers of chain oil gunk.

This has all changed now, as the space that the M is taking is needed for this:

This morning was spent in the shed stripping everything off the chassis - harness, some plastics, instruments etc.

All went pretty smoothly until I got to the side-stand bolts. One was tight, the other started to round off. Damn. Secondly, the swing-arm pivot. What's the trick to this? I've looked at the manual and it looks like you just take off the nut on the lhs, and it should come out? Mine is firm. I can rotate it with a socket, but it won't slide out. I've put some penetrating oil and given the end a couple of sharp taps with a small hammer, but it's not budging. I'm thinking that given the way the rest of the bike has been assembled, there hasn't been the faintest hint of grease on anything, it has probably frozen to either the bearings, spacers, or both.

You guys got any hints on how to how to get this thing out?

Apart from that, it'll be off to the tool shop to get a 36mm socket for the stem nut, then forks out, then off the the blaster.

Last edited by SC00BS; 07-21-2017 at 04:32 PM. Reason: replace dead photobucket links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 03:33 PM

I Ride: 1993 CBR900RR / 1992 ZX7 / 1991 ZX7R / 1995 Ducati 916 / 1994 Yamaha YZF-750R

How is the bike standing right now?

I hope you're not trying to remove the swingarm pivot with the bike on stands?

I had to rig up a ladder and straps and support the back end via the subframe to be able to work the swingarm bolt in and out.

1991 Kawasaki ZX-7R / Russell replica (in progress)
1992 Kawasaki ZX-7
1993 Honda CBR900RR
1994 Yamaha YZF-750R
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Just a frame and swingarm. Not on stands, & with the shock and linkages removed.

Managed to get the left side swingarm pivot plate off. The collar underneath that in the seal was a bit rusty looking when I removed it, so I'm guessing the main spacer will be similar. At least I can get penetrating oil directly to the pivot now. I'll give it a good soak and see how it goes tomorrow.

Oh, and the side-stand bolt is now out.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 07:13 AM

I Ride: 93 M1,lawson re,gs1260 drag,1170 katana,R7, 1198R and 1199R

You not got an alloy tank in them boxes ??
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Yep, it's painted blue and on the bike. No spare if that's what you were going to ask.

Pivot bolt is still stuck fast. It doesn't sound like it's even loose, just like it is banging on the inside of the frame (ie the end of the swingarm).

Is there anyone with experience with an M that can confirm that there's nothing special or tricky about removing these - no hidden bolts or clamps?

Cheers
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 02:24 PM
RRRRRR

What bolt are you referring to

ZX7RR WSB Yanagawa

ZX7RR Muzzy Race Raptor
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

The swingarm pivot shaft. I have removed both the nut and the adjustable pivot plate (with the 4 cap screws) from the lhs, but it won't budge. The rhs end of the swingarm is hard up against the inside of the frame. I've given the end of the shaft a few sharp taps with a hammer, but it just feels and sounds like there is something that is preventing it sliding out.
I've looked in the manual and the parts list and can't see anything obvious. I'm at a loss as to what might be preventing it coming out.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 02:34 AM

I Ride: 91 ZX7R,93 ZX7R,00 ZX12R, 87 YSR50, 87 GSXR750,93 ZX7, 92 ZX7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC00BS View Post
The swingarm pivot shaft. I have removed both the nut and the adjustable pivot plate (with the 4 cap screws) from the lhs, but it won't budge. The rhs end of the swingarm is hard up against the inside of the frame. I've given the end of the shaft a few sharp taps with a hammer, but it just feels and sounds like there is something that is preventing it sliding out.
I've looked in the manual and the parts list and can't see anything obvious. I'm at a loss as to what might be preventing it coming out.
The swing arm has a steel sleeve in the middle (between the right and left side bearings) if it hasn't been lubed properly over the years then it may be seized to the pivot bolt. Start spraying some penetrant oil around the bolt and keep repeating this for a few days to try and help free it up. If nothing else works then you may have to resort to a hammer and block of wood to pound it out.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him --- better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

My Turbo ZX12R Build:
https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-12...ave-today.html

My 1993 ZX7R (M1)
https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...r-real-m1.html

https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...-m1-naked.html

Last edited by 2fat2fly; 03-02-2015 at 05:34 AM.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 04:37 AM

This has worked..evaluate damage potential ...cover area around pivot shaft ends / frame with alloy foil and put several layers at immediate area of heat....fold alloy foil to make a cone...this cone you fabricate is to help you direct the flame from the heat gun into the hollow of the pivot shaft...apply heat to both sides of pivot shaft inturn ...warm the shaft up slowly...say 7 to 10 secs of heat/blue flame....listen out for heat expansion..ticking...allow to cool and repeat a couple of times before hammer/wood shaft.Evaluate RISK before turning on heat gun...alloy foil is cheap and can prevent damage once put in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fat2fly View Post
The swing arm has a steel sleeve in the middle (between the right and left side bearings) if it hasn't been lubed properly over the years then it may be seized to the pivot bolt. Start spraying some penetrant oil around the bolt and keep repeeating this for a few days to try and help free it up. If nothing else works then you may have to resort to a hammer and block of wood to pound it out.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Hi guys,

It has been some time since I last posted about my M1. Just to jog your memories, this is what I am starting with:

Nothing much has happened in the last 6 months apart from slowly stripping the parts from the partially reassembled roller. While it looks ok, only the outsides of the frame rails have been cleaned and stripped. The inside and all the swing-arm pivot casting area are all covered with flaky, half stripped paint, or layers of chain oil gunk.

This has all changed now, as the space that the M is taking is needed for this:

This morning was spent in the shed stripping everything off the chassis - harness, some plastics, instruments etc.

All went pretty smoothly until I got to the side-stand bolts. One was tight, the other started to round off. Damn. Secondly, the swing-arm pivot. What's the trick to this? I've looked at the manual and it looks like you just take off the nut on the lhs, and it should come out? Mine is firm. I can rotate it with a socket, but it won't slide out. I've put some penetrating oil and given the end a couple of sharp taps with a small hammer, but it's not budging. I'm thinking that given the way the rest of the bike has been assembled, there hasn't been the faintest hint of grease on anything, it has probably frozen to either the bearings, spacers, or both.

You guys got any hints on how to how to get this thing out?

Apart from that, it'll be off to the tool shop to get a 36mm socket for the stem nut, then forks out, then off the the blaster.
SIDE STAND BOLTS Had similar problem on my p4 only one bolt sheered off because it had seized into the alloy frame..There was enough thread for me to put a nut onto...but even welding the nut onto the bolt it still wouldnt budge ..a pretty solid weld would break first..tried this 4/5 times..in the end i ground off the exposed bolt with a angle grinder then drilled and re tapped a thread..all went well good result...made sure to use copper slip grease on putting new fixings in.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I suspected that the steel space was the issue, but wanted to confirm that there wasn't something else preventing it's removal that I wasn't aware of.

It looks like the heat/torch is the way to go. I'll keep you posted.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 06:02 PM

I Ride: '93 ZXR750R M1, '94 ZXR750 Trackbike, '95 ZXR750, '96 Bimota sb6, '99 Bimota db4, '08 Honda VTX1800, '94 Honda CB250, '00 Honda XR200R,'49 BSA C10 250

G'day scoobs. I was only thinking about your bike the other day and wondering how it was coming along. I spoke to the previous owner on the phone at the time and was considering buying it when it was on eBay. Thanks for the update
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

It's free - but don't ask. Now have the frame separate, adjustable swingarm blocks out. Now to pull the steering head bearings out and give it a clean.

What do you guys think gives the best finish - paint or powder coat?

@zxrmad, yeah, I had spoken to the guy a few times, mainly about the '95 L3 he had as well. In the end he came down a fair bit from what he was asking initially. Just as well considering the condition of some parts. What stopped you from grabbing it?
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 03:01 PM

I Ride: '93 ZXR750R M1, '94 ZXR750 Trackbike, '95 ZXR750, '96 Bimota sb6, '99 Bimota db4, '08 Honda VTX1800, '94 Honda CB250, '00 Honda XR200R,'49 BSA C10 250

Quote:
It's free - but don't ask. Now have the frame separate, adjustable swingarm blocks out. Now to pull the steering head bearings out and give it a clean.

What do you guys think gives the best finish - paint or powder coat?

@zxrmad, yeah, I had spoken to the guy a few times, mainly about the '95 L3 he had as well. In the end he came down a fair bit from what he was asking initially. Just as well considering the condition of some parts. What stopped you from grabbing it?
The bloke wasn't very helpful on the phone and didn't seem to know a lot about the bike, also wasn't interested in negotiating much on the price at the time. Hope you got a good deal. Glad you're making some progress with it, not many M's on the road in Aus.

Frame and swing arm were originally painted from factory, so I'd re-paint if it were me.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Wow. Can't believe two years has slipped by......

Being out of work for a while certainly slowed things down, but that's all sorted now. I had been chipping away at a lot of little things, a few powder coated stays, a batch of re-plated fasteners & brackets, a few new bearings & seals etc, but getting the frame repainted has spurred things along!

Hmmmmm. Images not working......

http://imgur.com/IxpXc0K
2fat2fly likes this.

Last edited by SC00BS; 07-08-2017 at 08:34 PM.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 01:35 PM

I Ride: FJR 1300 / ZXR750RR (K1) project in progress...

Quote:
Here:

Did they also paint where the bearing are going to be?
OTDR likes this.

Kiss French, Ride Japanese..
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm using a new image host since photobucket is no longer playing nicely......
What code do I have to add to get the files to display as images? The urls from the hosting site didn't work when I tried them.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 11:40 PM

I Ride: FJR 1300 / ZXR750RR (K1) project in progress...

Quote:
Thanks. I'm using a new image host since photobucket is no longer playing nicely......
What code do I have to add to get the files to display as images? The urls from the hosting site didn't work when I tried them.
Open the image, rightclick and select 'copy image address', use that link in your posts...

Kiss French, Ride Japanese..
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 03:52 AM

I Ride: 2003 ZX7R-Green..

Nice looking parts.
Sweet subframe!

Sent from my new fangled morse code machine.

2003 ZX7R - Green, named Katie
1998 ZX7R - Endurance body, named Frenchie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page