Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

ZX10R motor in a ZX7R?

80K views 104 replies 48 participants last post by  Antwoin08 
#1 ·
I have heard of a zx9 motor in a zx7 but what about a new zx10r motor in a 96 ZX7R?

#3 ·
10R motor

Hi Guys, new to forum. I've wanted to do the same mod, I love my zx7-r but hate it when dropped by litre bikes on open road, so This is how I solved the problem, went out and bought a gsxr1000, now nobody leaves me for dead, still kept the zx7-r, and when I want just to enjoy hammering the throttle and carving up the twisties, I take my baby out. The wife takes the gsxr1000

#5 ·
fits quite easily actually, you just need a machinist like I have, and a local anodizer to finish the parts- bracket wise it is fine- and from a financial stand point you can get a car kit for 04/05 zx10 for about 1400.00- so it comes down to this, build a handgrenade motor, that will make less than 155hp, or install zx10 at 170 reliable hp, and it weighs less too.....hmmm, even the zx9 motor pails by comparrison.

#8 ·
I understand what your saying, but the zx7 chassis is much stronger than the zx10 chassis- especially mine- thats why the zx10 has never been competitive, because no one can really ride the bike well enough to be competitive- same power as the gsxr 1000, but not very rideable-with the 7 chassis, and really good suspension components- it makes for a really nice package-if you have ever built a zx7 motor, you would undestand that the bang for the buck is not there, and there is no reliability, once your crack a 7 motor- might last a day,week,month- but it is going to pop if you ride it. Whereas I pretty much defy the average rider to pop a zx10 motor on the street, or on a track day- it happens, but usually because of crash damage.

#9 ·
There is no question the zx7 frame is stout enough for the task...probably the most robust bike ever made (the engineers definition of "robust" is: too heavy to lift).

Anything can be done with enough money and time. But to do it right is not just about money. I see custom stuff all the time, and being an engineer and a gear head, I cringe at whimpy brackets with weird joints and high stresses, poor welds and so on.

It might be fun to try.....maybe if I find a frame cheap next year.

Dave - its a shame you live so far away....I am sure I could learn a lot from you....in fact, it might be dangerous.

#10 ·
the world is getting smaller all the time- I need to get better at using the camera/internet- I am currently doing this project on my race bike- if it works well, I will do it to my rr, either way, the program will be written for the brackets, and these will not be 'cheezy' brackets- my guy does it right, or not at all- he has made some really cool stuff, that was world superbike pieces, but no longer available- the brembo monoblocks- only 1 caliper adapter available from ohlins, no longer made- he took that and mapped it out, and flopped it to make the other side, and spit me out 6 sets- cannot tell the difference between the ohlins piece, and what he spit out- also had a wsb rear wheel, which is designed for the crazy rare swingarm- whipped up a caliper holder, way stronger than the yanagawa piece, and actually better engineered- rotor doesn't rub on the caliper-let me know if your looking for anything jbreit, I have lots of spares-

#12 ·
Dave - Please don't think I was referring to your motor job.... its the guy that welds something up out of electrical conduit and steel scrap pieces he got at menards that I was talking about (like the cr500 motor in the SV650 frame thats on kawiforums).

And.....I may be in touch about the zx7 project I am working on, nothing so cool as a 10 motor though... but too many irons in the fire right now.

#14 ·
likely hood of brackets will be high- when he does the finals on mine, he will probably make 5 or 6 sets- its just machine time at that point, and also makes it worth while to send it off to the anodizer-

yeah I know what you mean about funky brackets 'breit'- I have seen what a little meth, and a torch for christmas can accomplish-

#15 ·
this would proove to be something amazing if it comes to light, finally an engine puting out the kind power this bike was ment for.
You can count me in on a set, and after that all I do is keep an eye out for written off 10R. Up here in canada they'll write off your bike even if it's only cosmetic and you need to buy or find a clear title frame to save your bike.

#16 ·
here's a really rough translation of the website (since I don't speak spanish you'll have to make the best of it)

http://www.zxr1000r.cl.vg/

After two months of work (and many but of planning) I have finished my I complete project baptized like ZXR1000R, that consisted of connecting a motor of Kawasaki ZX10R year 2007 in my classic ZXR750 H1 year 1990. I thank for Marcelo friend, alias " the scientist loco" , that it offered to his aid and knowledge me, without which it had not been possible the development and good operation of our company. In order to begin the project it was necessary to adapt the 8 supports of the motor that traia the ZX10R, those that obvious was different from those from the ZXR750. Luckyly the later-inferioes supports of the motor agreed perfectly with those of the chassis, being aligned the pinion of attack with the sprocket and dandonos the fixed point to present/display the other supports, once fact this I obtained robust aluminum arms (taken from the piece of damping UNI-TRACK of another ZXR750 and they were cut and they presented/displayed on the lateral supports of the motor soon to be welded with TIG (to see photos).

Later we made and we welded to the supports later-superiors with an aluminum angle of 10mm.

Also the frontal auxiliary supports settled to him and finally it settled the electrical system and air cleaner:

Later we had to modify the bottom of the pool that hit the air cleaner, for this work we used a steel lamina of 1.2mm and we gave the suitable form him:

We welded later it and I made the hollow him for the pump of original fuel of the ZX10R reinforcing it with a metallic hoop of 10 mm soon to paint it and to install the pump.

Finally we covered the irregularities and we applied to the imprimante and the red and black painting layers:

The motor was working and only it lacked to prove it and to mount the fairing:

The silencer is the one of series of ZX10r 2008 (it includes the butterfly of exup) and we decided (by aesthetic) to leave the clocks original and with the help of the factory manuals the board was 100% operative one:

#18 ·
zx10r into 1996 zx7r

whats up folks, I have already done this and it works great. i have pics and will posting them soon. I got a totaled 05 zx10r and swapped everything over to and old zx7r i had with a blown motor. Let me start by telling you its not for the unexperienced and its doesnt just fit right in. You would think becuase the frame in beefy and wide that it would but the heads dont exactly clear. It does fit with a slight lean angle to motoer which actually gives more weight to the front end. The mounting holes on the zx10r actually had to shave down and then re-tapp to make the mounts that i had to work. because of the angle of the motor it also causes a issues with the airbox and air intake tubes being slightly highter then where the meet the old frames holes for the air tubes. ( modified airbox and customer application needed ).

another problem i ran into was again because of the motor angle forwards that didnt allow the shifter to reach to the peg assemble. ( this was corrected by making a reverse shifter and extended about 2inches ( dont forget it race set 1 up instead of down) also but entire front end on trees,forks,wheels brakes etc. the handling if quite differnet. its is very sharp and may end up going back with the zx7 trees and keep the 10 forks. I swapped out the swingarm and went with a zx12 swingarm which automatically but a 3 inch extension on it and then i added the blocks to go out further. Becasue the front end is so top heavy now i have to come back in on the swingarm. I was out about 9 and it did nothing but spin But i came in about 2 inches and with my 240lbs it balanced out just right. WOW what a crazy Ride. People see it and there like is that and old bike and then i start it up with a full zx10 akrapovic and they are like OKAy thats not a 7 and i just smile. SO TO ALL YOU 7 LOVERS OUT THERE IF YOU GOT THE TIME AND FIND SOME PARTS I SAY GOOOOO FOR IT

#19 ·
I am looking forward to the pictures. and will be doing the same swap once I get my new station and have a place to work. I love the zx7r but I know my old gsxr1k pulled harder, and the new zx10r pulled even harder than the gsxr, the chassis refinement on the 7r is amazing even compared to the new machines rode a friends triumph a few weeks before buying the 7 and it feels so much more stable.

#26 · (Edited)
FYI I have a 02 ZX7R frame sitting in front of me, and along side it a 07 ZX10R engine. It absolutly will NOT fit in the frame in the possition it needs to be, IF your intention is to have the sweet handling of the 7 combined with the brute force of the 10. I have seen the pic of the guy who had to have it at all cost and yeah you can mate them but you will not have a decent handler. I also read about the other guy who said he did it but now is fighting the fact that he dropped the front of the motor (casue it doesnt fit) and now has to much front end weight. The 7 is the most awsome handling bike I know. I own a 06 10r have had an 06 6r and 2 7r's. I would love to have the 7 with a 10 engine (thats why there both sitting in front of me now) The engine mounts on the 10 engines head, will not squeeze in between the frame PERIOD. You will have to do extensive modifications to either the frame or the engine. Oh sure it can be done, but I have an entire machine shop, have built 3 airplanes and countless bikes and cars and I am balking at the job. I just dont know if its worth it. Seems to me the 9 engine is a better route. So I am writing this to let any who think its easily doable know its not if its the magic of the 7 your after.
Skeet

#27 ·
ok swolezx10, lets see these pictures already.
I'd like to see how you performed the fit on the mounts and also on the output sprocket.

1 more question....
I know everyone keeps talking about putting the zx10 motor into a zx7, but has anyone given any thought about other liter motors that might fit into the zx7? Say like a duck or r1 or something? Maybe those require less mods???

#28 ·
I've never tried it,but supposedly a GSXR 1000 engine will fit in the 7 frame with very little modding.I'm not claiming this to be gospel,I'm just reporting what I was told.If a 10R engine won't fit (I haven't tried this either) then I'd look at the GSXR 1000 as a suitable replacement.

#29 ·
Even if it would fit, the first time you dumped the clutch, it'd wind up like a leaf spring and probably spit you off like a pubic hair after.......well, you get the idea. That frame was not designed to handle that much power and any combination of the two would be an evil handling widowmaker.

#30 ·
You're quite possibly right.But,it would be cool as hell!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.