ZX10R motor in a ZX7R? - Page 3 - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 01:54 PM

I Ride: 2002 ZX7R, 1994 ZX7 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyH View Post
Ok for those of you that are interested. I have done this and ridden the result. The frame has to be seriously modified, new brackets in every location, if you try to use any of the originals the engine will be mis-aligned by about 3mm.
To keep the rotating mass in the original position the engine needs to be further leaned back (upright) than in the photo above, when you do this the head will hit the RH frame spar, and that needs to be modified heavily.
It has taken me 18 months of continuous work every single weekend and most evenings to get mine right....and i mean right.

SO YES...a 2004-2009 engine fits in a 7 R frame, can you use the original mounts? NO, not if you want it to handle the same as an original 7

Does it handle the same? if you can keep the front end on the ground YES.

Does it twist the frame?...haha....NO, although my frame is SERIOUSLY MODIFIED.

Was it worth the time and effort...oh good god yes.

Can you tell it has a 10 engine in from just looking at it? yes if you know what your looking at, you have to modify the bodywork to have enough clearance for the LH genny cover, and depending on the exhaust you choose, you will need to cut away a little bit off of the lower RH fairing as the clearance under the sump isnt enough to allow the exhaust to clear the body work. Like i say, only if you know what your looking at though.

Here she is after the 18 month rebuild and engineering fun and games. Oh i did ALL the work here in my workshop by myself, the only thing i was uncomfortable doing was the alloy welding, so a mate who welds aircraft parts did it for me.

She runs at 187bhp using a Motec M400 ecu in closed loop, A Motec CDL kit logger dash...well the rest you can see

She was in PB magazine here in the UK this month with an 8 page spread and write up.

Have fun and ride safe

Absolutely fantastic. Any pics of the process? Tell us more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 02:26 PM

Wow

The small Zx10r engine ist realy amazing.

For your Information, I have copied your post to the zx7r.de Forum.

In Germany was a zx7r sold with a GSXR 1000 engine.
It is also possible to fit it
post #43 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 02:33 PM

I Ride: 2000 ZX7/9R, 2010 CBR1000RR, 2005 KX250F

Yeah, more pics of the process would be awesome!

Great work by the way. it looks stunning.

Spending too much time to make a bike faster than it really needs to be.

https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...thread-23.html

post #44 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 02:41 PM

I Ride: 91 ZX7R,93 ZX7R,00 ZX12R, 87 YSR50, 87 GSXR750,93 ZX7, 92 ZX7

Garage
Quote:
Ok for those of you that are interested. I have done this and ridden the result. The frame has to be seriously modified, new brackets in every location, if you try to use any of the originals the engine will be mis-aligned by about 3mm.
To keep the rotating mass in the original position the engine needs to be further leaned back (upright) than in the photo above, when you do this the head will hit the RH frame spar, and that needs to be modified heavily.
It has taken me 18 months of continuous work every single weekend and most evenings to get mine right....and i mean right.

SO YES...a 2004-2009 engine fits in a 7 R frame, can you use the original mounts? NO, not if you want it to handle the same as an original 7

Can you tell it has a 10 engine in from just looking at it? yes if you know what your looking at, you have to modify the bodywork to have enough clearance for the LH genny cover, and depending on the exhaust you choose, you will need to cut away a little bit off of the lower RH fairing as the clearance under the sump isnt enough to allow the exhaust to clear the body work. Like i say, only if you know what your looking at though.

Here she is after the 18 month rebuild and engineering fun and games. Oh i did ALL the work here in my workshop by myself, the only thing i was uncomfortable doing was the alloy welding, so a mate who welds aircraft parts did it for me.

She runs at 187bhp using a Motec M400 ecu in closed loop, A Motec CDL kit logger dash...well the rest you can see

She was in PB magazine here in the UK this month with an 8 page spread and write up.

Have fun and ride safe

[IMG]http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l590/andyhuggett/Performance%20Bike%20photo%20shoot%20with%20ZX7R-X/ZX710R047_zps80a40935.jpg[IMG]
Very cool build Andy. Thanks for the info and congrats on the write up. Now I need to find that issue of PB.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him --- better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

My Turbo ZX12R Build:
https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-12...ave-today.html

My 1993 ZX7R (M1)
https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...r-real-m1.html

https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...-m1-naked.html
post #45 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:

Have fun and ride safe

What an amazing bike...it must be a hoot to ride....i'm getting my PB mag copy tomorrow....
post #46 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 04:48 PM

I can post a lot of info if you really wish, i dont mind sharing the technical stuff, in fact anything to help fellow Kawasaki riders.

What do you want to see?

A good friend of mine, KC at BRG racing has been looking at installing a new gen CBR 1000 engine, i know the Gixxer Thou will fit as well (its not so simple)

But in my humble opinion it should be a Kawasaki motor....it just seems so wrong to fit anything else.

I guess you want to see a lot more detail of mounts and stuff?

Let me know what you need and ill help out

Regards
Andy

Last edited by AndyH; 03-27-2013 at 04:52 PM.
post #47 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 05:01 PM

A hoot to ride...errrm yeah, i originally was prepping the bike for a fuel injected 950 engine i was working on, so i set the gearing 16F 41R, when i put the 10 engine in i usd the same gearing, that gave me serious air in all 6 gears, it was uncontrollable in anything above 70% throttle, i have the data logs here to prove it....it topped out at 158mph but OMFG it got there sooooo dayam quick...haha, no i got it sorted at 198mph top speed and i can actually now use full throttle in all gears. I have uploaded a little youtube vid for a laugh, where a guy on an RSV Mille really got the hump, the 7X now has full throttle gear shift (Motec of course) as you will hear in the vid, she spits flames and pops like a real animal.....have a listen here, I let Mr Aprilia come past at about 4:45 mins into the video then really pissed on his parade for a laugh, check out his body language because he couldnt understand why he just couldnt catch an old 750 for the last 5 miles (and i only went 70% throttle and no more) and i was short shifting below 10K, there seemed no point in hitting the upper power band of the C2 engine

Enjoy :D

Last edited by AndyH; 03-27-2013 at 05:11 PM.
post #48 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 05:02 PM

I Ride: 1994 Kawasaki Ninja ZX7

Oh damn!!

More pics,and a video,please!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Sir Peace Disruptin, Seven Moddin, Brick Slingin Hyper Whore of ZXF

"Kawasaki or nothing"

"Attention-Objects in mirror are about to disappear"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
"I know you're the king of bad analogies and poor comparisons but that has to be one of the worst"
"Why buy a pick up when you can buy a dump truck "
post #49 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 05:03 PM

I Ride: 1994 Kawasaki Ninja ZX7

Oh damn!!!!
Posted just as you posted the vid

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Sir Peace Disruptin, Seven Moddin, Brick Slingin Hyper Whore of ZXF

"Kawasaki or nothing"

"Attention-Objects in mirror are about to disappear"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
"I know you're the king of bad analogies and poor comparisons but that has to be one of the worst"
"Why buy a pick up when you can buy a dump truck "
post #50 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 05:40 PM

I think, the interesting will be the settings of the holders (the diametres).
The think to fit in the engine in the frame will be the hardest work.
post #51 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 06:45 PM

I Ride: 91 ZX7R,93 ZX7R,00 ZX12R, 87 YSR50, 87 GSXR750,93 ZX7, 92 ZX7

Garage
Quote:
I can post a lot of info if you really wish, i dont mind sharing the technical stuff, in fact anything to help fellow Kawasaki riders.

What do you want to see?

A good friend of mine, KC at BRG racing has been looking at installing a new gen CBR 1000 engine, i know the Gixxer Thou will fit as well (its not so simple)

But in my humble opinion it should be a Kawasaki motor....it just seems so wrong to fit anything else.

I guess you want to see a lot more detail of mounts and stuff?

Let me know what you need and ill help out

Regards
Andy
If you have any drawings or pictures of the engine mounts and locating the engine in the chassis that would be awesome. awesome! Pictures of that beast naked would be very cool too. Thanks.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him --- better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

My Turbo ZX12R Build:
https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-12...ave-today.html

My 1993 ZX7R (M1)
https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...r-real-m1.html

https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...-m1-naked.html
post #52 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 09:59 PM

I would really like to see some pics or drawing of engine mounts/frame modifications.

post #53 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:25 AM

I Ride: 99 zx7r

Nice Vid!

CINzx7
post #54 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 09:23 PM

I Ride: 99ZX7R (street) 98 ZX7R (track). 89 ZX10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyH

Have fun and ride safe

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.
I just got a copy of this issue of PB magazine......$13.50 Cdn and worth every penny!

That's one incredible bike!!! I can't stop looking at it..........

Congrats Andy.
post #55 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 10:43 PM

I Ride: 00 ZX7R, 96 ZX7RR, 99 ZX7R, 87,90, & 91 YSR50

Andy, I have 4 ZX7R's and need to figure out what to do with the 4th one as it has a blown motor. this would be something I would like to try. Please if you couple post or PM me the bracket dimensions, bracket locations as well as any technical info needed... Thanks... Very Awesome build, well done!!!!

"Any toy not capable of killing you, is not worth owning!!!!!" Team Shrapnel
post #56 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 01:16 AM
57x

I Ride: 2018 H2 SX SE, 2005 Z750S, ZX7R Superbikes

Quote:
KC tried the CBR motor on one of my L frames. Not even close. Back to the drawing board.
post #57 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 01:20 AM
57x

I Ride: 2018 H2 SX SE, 2005 Z750S, ZX7R Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastanbmx View Post
Andy, I have 4 ZX7R's and need to figure out what to do with the 4th one as it has a blown motor. this would be something I would like to try. Please if you couple post or PM me the bracket dimensions, bracket locations as well as any technical info needed... Thanks... Very Awesome build, well done!!!!
I have a spare 99 ZX9R Kinkos/Muzzy AMA motor if you want to try. ~160 to the tire.
post #58 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 08:07 AM

I think the newer 9 motor would go in better than the zx10r motor. But you still might need to modify the inside of the frame spar, becuase it's pretty wide.

I think the newer 9 motor with a nice set of flats and a dyna would be a cooler engine to have in a zx7r than a zx10r engine anyways. Plus those late model 9 engines are everywhere.

post #59 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelKnauber View Post
I think the newer 9 motor would go in better than the zx10r motor. But you still might need to modify the inside of the frame spar, becuase it's pretty wide.

I think the newer 9 motor with a nice set of flats and a dyna would be a cooler engine to have in a zx7r than a zx10r engine anyways. Plus those late model 9 engines are everywhere.
If we had the upper dimensions of the newer (98-03) zx-9r motor, it would help a lot, that is, a measurement across the top of the valve cover, to see if it will slide between the frame of the zx7r.

I'd also like to know the difference in weight between the zx7r and pre '98 zx9 motors. If I remember correctly, others who have done the switch have commented on the weight difference, saying that it was noticeable. If that is the case, I would be more inclined to go with the wiseco 770 kit in a P motor.

Last edited by gsxrche; 04-27-2013 at 11:36 AM.
post #60 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 12:32 PM

I guess I assumed the zx9r engine would be narrower by a bit because the zx10r has a 76mm bore, while the zx9r is 75mm. I don't know bore spacing. But i know the late model carbs fit between the spars just fine. so that tells us something.

I think that any newer kawasaki motor would need the RH spar modified to clear the timing side. I thought I remembered people saying it wouldn't fit as is in the past. Unless that was just an assumtion that somebody started and everyone believed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page