bumpadie bump bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 03:12 PM

I Ride: 2000 ZX7R

zx10r motor in a zx7r

can i get some feed back
Old 01-21-2009, 05:22 PM

I also heard that the rear mount lines up, I hope for more replies that give better information.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:25 PM

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone know where I can find a engine for my zx9.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempdawg1 View Post
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone know where I can find a engine for my zx9.
hmm are you lost?? j/k
Old 03-08-2009, 07:47 PM

I Ride: ZX10R/ ZX7R /ZX6R

FYI I have a 02 ZX7R frame sitting in front of me, and along side it a 07 ZX10R engine. It absolutly will NOT fit in the frame in the possition it needs to be, IF your intention is to have the sweet handling of the 7 combined with the brute force of the 10. I have seen the pic of the guy who had to have it at all cost and yeah you can mate them but you will not have a decent handler. I also read about the other guy who said he did it but now is fighting the fact that he dropped the front of the motor (casue it doesnt fit) and now has to much front end weight. The 7 is the most awsome handling bike I know. I own a 06 10r have had an 06 6r and 2 7r's. I would love to have the 7 with a 10 engine (thats why there both sitting in front of me now) The engine mounts on the 10 engines head, will not squeeze in between the frame PERIOD. You will have to do extensive modifications to either the frame or the engine. Oh sure it can be done, but I have an entire machine shop, have built 3 airplanes and countless bikes and cars and I am balking at the job. I just dont know if its worth it. Seems to me the 9 engine is a better route. So I am writing this to let any who think its easily doable know its not if its the magic of the 7 your after.
Skeet

06 ZX10R Pilot "If you want a lot of something for not a lot of money, develope a taste for what nobody wants"

Last edited by cgifly2; 03-08-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:32 PM

ok swolezx10, lets see these pictures already.
I'd like to see how you performed the fit on the mounts and also on the output sprocket.

1 more question....
I know everyone keeps talking about putting the zx10 motor into a zx7, but has anyone given any thought about other liter motors that might fit into the zx7? Say like a duck or r1 or something? Maybe those require less mods???
Old 03-11-2009, 04:46 PM

I Ride: 91 ZX7R,93 ZX7R,00 ZX12R, 87 YSR50, 87 GSXR750,93 ZX7, 92 ZX7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb2178 View Post
ok swolezx10, lets see these pictures already.
I'd like to see how you performed the fit on the mounts and also on the output sprocket.

1 more question....
I know everyone keeps talking about putting the zx10 motor into a zx7, but has anyone given any thought about other liter motors that might fit into the zx7? Say like a duck or r1 or something? Maybe those require less mods???
I've never tried it,but supposedly a GSXR 1000 engine will fit in the 7 frame with very little modding.I'm not claiming this to be gospel,I'm just reporting what I was told.If a 10R engine won't fit (I haven't tried this either) then I'd look at the GSXR 1000 as a suitable replacement.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:09 PM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

Even if it would fit, the first time you dumped the clutch, it'd wind up like a leaf spring and probably spit you off like a pubic hair after.......well, you get the idea. That frame was not designed to handle that much power and any combination of the two would be an evil handling widowmaker.

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
Old 03-11-2009, 05:38 PM

I Ride: 91 ZX7R,93 ZX7R,00 ZX12R, 87 YSR50, 87 GSXR750,93 ZX7, 92 ZX7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
Even if it would fit, the first time you dumped the clutch, it'd wind up like a leaf spring and probably spit you off like a pubic hair after.......well, you get the idea. That frame was not designed to handle that much power and any combination of the two would be an evil handling widowmaker.
You're quite possibly right.But,it would be cool as hell!!
Old 03-23-2009, 11:50 PM

I Ride: ZX10R/ ZX7R /ZX6R

I dont believe that a 10r engine in a 7 frame is a bad match. In fact I think the 7 frame is way more robust than a 10. Now I am talking 02-zx7 and 07zx10. The rear mounts NO way not even close. So you would have to cut them out and start over. Then if you want the engine to fit were its supposed to be (so your NOT fighting front end weight) you have to cut the frame, for the head to clear or modify the cylinder head mounts. Either one calls for exstensive modification that you cant go back to stock on. I am seriously considering, building a frame jig, chucking up the 7 frame (for measurments) and building a trellis frame to house the 10 while bolting on 10 swing arm and front end. I know what the thinking out there is already. "Why not just buy a 10"? I did! I have one. It doenst compare to the 7 in handling on ANY level. Isnt it curious why Kawasaki changed there bikes to handle quicker AKA lighter feel, Only to have to add steering dampners to stop them from tank slapping. And when you add a steering dampner you slow the handling back down AKA heavier feel. So I actually think building a frame from scratch will be easier (to me) than modifying the frame or engine to fit. FYI if I would do it I probably would cut the frame, and reinforce it. But I do have other ideas to add to the trellis frame that would make it worth while. Anyone interested?
Skeet

06 ZX10R Pilot "If you want a lot of something for not a lot of money, develope a taste for what nobody wants"

Last edited by cgifly2; 03-23-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:12 AM

?

i want all the pics you can get i have a 92 zx7 i have the 96 zx9 motor in it then i found a crashed 92 zx7r so i took the flatslides off an put them on the 9 its fast but not that fast i will be puting a zx10 motor in the 92 zx7r frame so if you pulled this off your pics and help will cut down on the time it takes me to get this done i want that 92 7r back on top all we do in indiana is qtr mile so time to put some busa's and 14's back in there place LOL old school thanks for any help Tony
Old 06-11-2009, 12:48 PM

I Ride: zx7 '92

I don't know why you say the chassis can't/won't handle the power. Eric Bostrom was running a stroked 800 with enough power to beat out the liter bike and never had chassis failure. Ken Watters ran a turbo with in excess of 200hp and never had chassis failure. The problem isn't the chassis it's the engineering of the modifications that were made to it.

And another thing that bugs me is when people say just sell it put it towards a liter bike. Why? I sell it for say 3k then i need to come up with another 3to4k to get one that hasn't been beat on. A good liter bike runs between 6-8k used. I could buy the motor for 1500 and a few odds and ends and have less than 3k in it. Not to mention i would have a more unique bike than the rest of the crowd.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:01 AM

92 zx7r with a zx10 motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceZX7R View Post
I have heard of a zx9 motor in a zx7 but what about a new zx10r motor in a 96 ZX7R?
i will be starting on the motor swap in about 2 weeks and i will take pics every step of the way Tony
Old 03-07-2012, 04:21 PM

Bringing up an old thread because i am doing this atm, to all those saying it doesnt fit bet you didnt even try, well here is proof no frame cutting, just mount changing, and the brake bar mount ends up as one of the zx10 engine mounting locations, i have a thread up just search my users post or someone link it.
Gone will be the days of the old zx9 conversion welcome to a new era, more responce and power with a lighter motor. i am making all mounts that can be welded in and probably plan on selling them with instructions.
Even the stock zx10 airbox fits with room for a bracket to be made to make use of the zx7 ram tubes. i have a 95zx7 with r1 wheels and r1 swingarm.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:28 PM

I'm digging that tool chest... SP is Australia only huh?

Josh

1993 Kawasaki ZX7 ZX10R F/R swap, Full Ti Muzzy

1966 Honda CM91 friggin' Chick Magnet
Old 03-07-2012, 08:17 PM

I Ride: 1993 ZX-7R, Mad Ducs

Ooh, I was going to attempt the GSX-R1000 but I'm digging this...when you get ready to sell mounts/kit let me know I will probably buy a set! I have a '94 with a blown motor that I want to do something cool with.

1993 ZX-7R restoration project
1994 ZX-7 Frankenbike project?
Too many others to mention...
Old 03-07-2012, 08:54 PM

I Ride: '09 Concours 14, '89 RC31 and Ѡ dat ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
I am with everyone else, the 7R frame is supposed to be one overbuilt, tough mother fucker.

And when you start talking about adding material in the form of modified brackets and shit...I could see it taking the stress just fine.

I know a guy that beats the ever living fuck out of his and doesn't have any problems with the frame cracking and whatnot.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
Quote:
Originally Posted by 185EZ View Post
The rear tire on my 14 is low on air.
So I was thinking of rebuilding the motor.
If that doesn't correct the problem, probably replace all the fairings
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I ride a Honda.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Old 03-27-2013, 01:16 PM

Ok for those of you that are interested. I have done this and ridden the result. The frame has to be seriously modified, new brackets in every location, if you try to use any of the originals the engine will be mis-aligned by about 3mm.
To keep the rotating mass in the original position the engine needs to be further leaned back (upright) than in the photo above, when you do this the head will hit the RH frame spar, and that needs to be modified heavily.
It has taken me 18 months of continuous work every single weekend and most evenings to get mine right....and i mean right.

SO YES...a 2004-2009 engine fits in a 7 R frame, can you use the original mounts? NO, not if you want it to handle the same as an original 7

Does it handle the same? if you can keep the front end on the ground YES.

Does it twist the frame?...haha....NO, although my frame is SERIOUSLY MODIFIED.

Was it worth the time and effort...oh good god yes.

Can you tell it has a 10 engine in from just looking at it? yes if you know what your looking at, you have to modify the bodywork to have enough clearance for the LH genny cover, and depending on the exhaust you choose, you will need to cut away a little bit off of the lower RH fairing as the clearance under the sump isnt enough to allow the exhaust to clear the body work. Like i say, only if you know what your looking at though.

Here she is after the 18 month rebuild and engineering fun and games. Oh i did ALL the work here in my workshop by myself, the only thing i was uncomfortable doing was the alloy welding, so a mate who welds aircraft parts did it for me.

She runs at 187bhp using a Motec M400 ecu in closed loop, A Motec CDL kit logger dash...well the rest you can see

She was in PB magazine here in the UK this month with an 8 page spread and write up.

Have fun and ride safe

Last edited by AndyH; 03-27-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:31 PM

I Ride: 2007 ninja zx-6r

I thought about this with my zx 6r so far I have found I would have to cut tabs and relocate them and of course the wiring not sure what else gonna check tho

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in