no headlights high/low everything else works!!! *SEARCHED* - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

no headlights high/low everything else works!!! *SEARCHED*

First off, guys I'm new here but not new to forums, I know every body will bash you if you don't do a search. Honestly I'v been searching for almost a week and i just can not figure this out.

short version = 2001 zx7. everything works on my bike. EVERYTHING, the only thing that does not work as of friday 10/8/13 is I have no headlights high beams or low beams. also my high beam dash indicator does not light.

long version = I have been having some fuel pump issues with it not priming/ running like it was supposed to but the bike would run and the headlights worked. well sometime between thursday (10/7/13) night and friday afternoon (10/8) the head light quick working and so did the indicator. i ordered a relay thinking that this was the problem because from all of the searching iv done that seemed to be a very common problem with the headlight and fuel pump. also i i hard wire the pump to the battery it would run like it was supposed to so i thought for sure that this would fix my problem (headlight and pump) will i got my new relay today and turns out that wasn't even the problem with the pump. it was just a bad connection at the pump plug and harness so now.... i have a mysterious non working headlight out of the blue

when i noticed no head light on friday afternoon the fuse was blown. so i swapped it with the spare and the spare has not blown since (its one of those led ones that light when its good) so right now i have no headlights high or low and no high indicator on the dash but everything else works. everything. blinkers. dash lights. oil light. brake light. running light. tag light. EVERYTHING works but it seems m getting no power to my headlight even with a good relay and fuse.

I'v checked bulbs, fuses, relay, took the switch apart and checked the contacts inside. checked all the known connections in the front of the bike. I read on here that you can test the indicator by unplugging known good bulbs and if there was a short and you took the known good bulbs out, that the dash indicator should work, but it still doesn't I'm am so lost and with out a volt meter. I'm not opposed to going out and buying one but i don't even know which wires to test.... any body please help me!!! thanks so much in advance

(Ps. iv never joined the forum bc any questions i ever had had been answered on here and i never had to ask for myself. but after searching im stuck! lol )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 03:06 PM

I Ride: 1989 zxr750h1

assume you checked for power / continuity to the light switch
check the connector blocks tucked away under the tank , where the front harness plugs into the main wiring
my lights on my 89 failed and it was the connector block
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

no i do not have a meter. i will go out and get one now. once i get the meter though i dont know what i should be testing. should i start at the switch? back at the box? at the headlight plug?

i just am not very good with electric but i have determined that all of my connections appear to be good. none are loose or broken and the fuse has not blown. apparently there is a relay inside the junk box? can anybody enlighten me on that?

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 04:48 PM

you will be testing for power at all the points in the harness where there is either a switch , a relay or a junction
a 12v bulb and 2 wires will do the job
a wiring diagram may be useful to identify the colour of various feed wires etc
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

i found a wire diagram and it shows a blue and yellow wire is the hot wire for the headlight at the switch. and if i did it correctly, i got nothing. i got .08 on one wire @ the bulb high or low position same wire only had .08 (so basicly nothing.) if im not getting anything to the switch then what?
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

the yellow and blue wire has 11v coming out of the junction box, with the bike running and on low beam setting on switch. if i switch to high beam position the wire drops to 0v ( and i still get nothing on the dash for high beam indicator )

any body got anything to suggest next!?

Last edited by lrayford; 11-14-2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: mistake
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

ok. so i got the tester figured out.....

with the bike running. and the low beam on the switch. the junction box gets 11v the switch gets 11v and the plug where the bulb connects to the harness. yet i have no light??

with the bike running and the high beam on the switch i get nothing all across the board and i still get no headlight or dash light....

with 11v to the bulb im not understanding how i dont at least have a low beam right now?
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrayford View Post
when i noticed no head light on friday afternoon the fuse was blown. so i swapped it with the spare and the spare has not blown since (its one of those led ones that light when its good)
Put a regular fuse in there and see what happens. Any kind of LED light can jack with the current draw.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXXX7R View Post
Put a regular fuse in there and see what happens. Any kind of LED light can jack with the current draw.

I did ... Same results the only difference with the LED type fuse was it makes a little click noise when you get the starter button....

I'm thinking this has to be related with the highbeam indicator not coming on I'm getting 12v all up to the point where the bulb is (bulbs are good) that plub had right wire ground. Middle 12v and left 0 with low beam but high beam on switch and no volts any where on plug
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 07:46 PM

I Ride: 2003 ZX7R

It's probably a bad ground somewhere if you're getting 11v through the entire hot wire path.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 07:47 PM

I Ride: 2003 ZX7R

Does anyone know if the switch is a ground switch or power switch?
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 10:16 PM
57x

I Ride: 2018 H2 SX SE, 2005 Z750S, ZX7R Superbikes

Sorry to be so basic, but are you checking with the engine running? The relays will not switch until the engine is running.

Did you check both headlight relays? There is a high beam and a low beam. You could also jump them with the relay out to confirm you are working with a good relay.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 10:20 PM
57x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerBox View Post
Does anyone know if the switch is a ground switch or power switch?
As I remember, it is a switch to power.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 11:09 PM
Banned

I Ride: A warhorse H model ZX7, 93 ZX7/9

Scott I think the headlight relays on the P model are in the fuse box, as I'm looking at the 99 here and see no such external relays...
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 12:31 AM
57x

Quote:
Originally Posted by christikitty View Post
Scott I think the headlight relays on the P model are in the fuse box, as I'm looking at the 99 here and see no such external relays...
As you know, I am more of a 91-95 guy. Not sure. There are two on the older ones.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Again to all yes I'm doing testing with the bike on, and it is a 2001 zx7

Speakerbox it sort of makes sense to be a ground if the low wire is hot all the way to the bulb and I'm still get no beam, not sure why I didn't think of that yesterday....l I'm still hung up on the fact that my high beam indicator does not work and I get no power to the high beam plug either...l something just has to be going on with that high beam indicator ??? I won't be able to do any checking until about 3pm today but any other input or suggestions are appreciated guys thanks to every one so far
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 03:48 AM

these are the colours of the lighting part of the harness
you will have no lights on/off switch as it is an american model

bl/y junction box to hi/lo switch
r/y hi/lo switch to low beam relay
r/bk hi/lo switch to high beam relay + high beam ind light
w/bk high beam relay to high beam bulb
w/y low beam relay to low beam bulb
bk/y earth
relays powered by o/gn from ign sw
hth
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesYoung View Post
these are the colours of the lighting part of the harness
you will have no lights on/off switch as it is an american model

bl/y junction box to hi/lo switch
r/y hi/lo switch to low beam relay
r/bk hi/lo switch to high beam relay + high beam ind light
w/bk high beam relay to high beam bulb
w/y low beam relay to low beam bulb
bk/y earth
relays powered by o/gn from ign sw
hth
Where are these high/low relays ? I am reading about relays in the junction box. Are these those same relays . Also if they aren't drawing 12v does that mean that box is toast? Very helpful info
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 05:19 AM

on the 89-90 the relays are in the nose just below the h/lights with rubber covers on , on the j models on relays are located below the frame rails on the l/h/s beside the turn signal relay
you also should have 2 headlamp fuses , a 20a and a 10a
if you put your multimeter across relay terminals 3 &4 with a 12v battery connected across 1 &2 then the meter should read 0 ohms when battery connected and infinity when battery disconnected
the other h/lamp relay in the junction box only operates to switch the headlamp on after starting

Last edited by JulesYoung; 11-15-2013 at 05:24 AM.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesYoung View Post
on the 89-90 the relays are in the nose just below the h/lights with rubber covers on , on the j models on relays are located below the frame rails on the l/h/s beside the turn signal relay
you also should have 2 headlamp fuses , a 20a and a 10a
if you put your multimeter across relay terminals 3 &4 with a 12v battery connected across 1 &2 then the meter should read 0 ohms when battery connected and infinity when battery disconnected
the other h/lamp relay in the junction box only operates to switch the headlamp on after starting

Problem is , this is a 2001 P model. It does not have relays under the headlight. Also it has 1 10 amp headlight fuse and not 2 in the box ugh ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page