no headlights high/low everything else works!!! *SEARCHED* - Page 2 - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

This is what I'm using for a diagram ... http://s1010.photobucket.com/albums/...er_media_share
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 06:07 AM

I Ride: 1989 zxr750h1

all the zx wiring diagrams are near enough the same , if everything else checks out good then i would be looking at the junction box
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrayford View Post
Problem is , this is a 2001 P model. It does not have relays under the headlight. Also it has 1 10 amp headlight fuse and not 2 in the box ugh ....
the relays will be on the lhs of the bike near the battery

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

I'll have to look around the battery, right now the tank is off as well as the rear seats so the wiring is pretty accessible and I don't recall seeing any relays but like I said I will double check for them when I get off work (around 230 ) are they hidden under rear plastics? Can any body pin point these or gave a photo of the area ? Btw thanks Jules , very helpful
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Searching my phone (at work lol) the dealer does not list a headlight relay for my bike. Are you sure the P model has it the same as the pre 96 zx7's ?

Source : http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oe...ical-equipment
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 09:56 AM

sorry i was sure ther,d be other relays for the lights but according to that diagram there is none apart from the one at the junction box .
so if the wiring , fuses + bulbs etc are good then that can only leave the junction box relay as a source of your problems
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesYoung View Post
sorry i was sure ther,d be other relays for the lights but according to that diagram there is none apart from the one at the junction box .
so if the wiring , fuses + bulbs etc are good then that can only leave the junction box relay as a source of your problems

I read it's "not serviceable " but wonder how true that is? I want to make sure that's the problem before buying parts to throw at it.

When these relays go bad is it intermittent problems or just go at once ? Like I said this came out of the blue
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 06:55 PM

I Ride: 2003 ZX7R

If it's the relays you'd need to buy another junction box as they are built in and not replaceable. The fact that you're getting power to the bulb harness tells me that the relays are fine though. Maybe the bulb for your high beam went out? I would trace the grounds from the bulbs back to the respective ground point. Also, look on your wiring diagram, does the low beam and high beam signal go through the high/low switch control on the left handle bar? If so then that could be the culprit as well, maybe the contacts are bad or something is corroded.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 04:46 AM

back to basics ,before throwing parts at it check and recheck every connection with the meter for continuity and earth
power into relay , power out to switch
power to headlamps and main beam indicator from switch
you have a tail light , horn , indicators and it starts so most of your junction box is already good and you are getting power from the alternator [ the brown feed }
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
back to basics ,before throwing parts at it check and recheck every connection with the meter for continuity and earth
power into relay , power out to switch
power to headlamps and main beam indicator from switch
you have a tail light , horn , indicators and it starts so most of your junction box is already good and you are getting power from the alternator [ the brown feed }

true. whats crazy is on the diagram. the indicator on the dash has shares a ground with the rest of the gauge, but the rest of my gauge works. and the ground *(for just the high beam indicator the rest of the grounds in the main to the gauge s=go back to main )* branches off that main ground for the tach and grounds the headlights/high low ( with sub harness) and also to the horn switch and clutch switch (neutral light ) and all of that works

then the hot wire for that high beam indicator comes from the HIGH beam on the switch ( left bar) but i dont have 12 volts anywhere with the high beam selected

**EDIT**

Last edited by lrayford; 11-16-2013 at 07:54 AM.
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Update guys. With good bulbs (tested directly to battery )

Test with no bulbs plugged into headlight harness and low beam selected .. 12 volts at junction box and 12 all the way up to headlight plug..

Test with good bulbs 0v at headlight plug and .16-.18 (basically nothing at junction box)

Again no bulb plugged in system puts 12v to low beam ONLY (still no power for High)
Bulbs in = no volts anywhere ?

I'm thinking bad junction box/ relay inside??

Anybody?
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

I'm ruling out a bad wire/ ground in the wiring bc it was on the stand (started and idle ) on that Thursday night , then without moving and still on the stand the next day Friday afternoon start with no lights so unless the little light goblin snuck into my garage that night and snipped a wire and knowing there is only 1 relay in the box and the switch I'm leaning towards box (as it has no high beam voltage and loses low beam with a complete circuit ??

I'm not an electrician by any means but that's all I can fathom.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

***SOLVED*** I was right it was the JUNKbox!! Just went to my local salvage guy and picked up one for 25 bucks problem solved! Thanks to all for the help !!!!
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
all the zx wiring diagrams are near enough the same , if everything else checks out good then i would be looking at the junction box
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Presidentť of Whoring

I Ride: 2002 ZX9R

Garage
Thanks for posting the solution

Presidentť of Whoring
Sir Serious Zip-Tie Lovin, Pizza Thuggin, Blue Wafflin, ZX-9 Thrashin Post Whore Of ZXF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92K1500 View Post
You win Lee.

I can't even form a response to that.
PM ME if your computer sucks!!!!!! (click here)
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Yeah apparently it was reading12v bc there was no load (when bulbs where out) then adding the load of the good bulb and it killed it. Again thanks to every one !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page