Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

fixing up (95 ZX6R) retired racing bike.

994 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  dusty_zx6r 
#1 ·
I just bought a 95 ZX6R it use to be a racing bike the last owner started to fix it up (mostly internal) but there's a lot more that has to be done I.E chain and sprockets, wheels, brakes, blinkers, some of the hosing, brake fluid box, kick stand, paint, filters. yes its a lot but for a 1,000 bucks you can't beat that with a stick... but my main question is the part types I don't want to buy cheap parts for this bike that will brake soon and I wanted to try and stick with racing parts for the bike also. I started to look at tires and shortly realized "I've never bought motorcycle tires" so I truly don't know what I should be looking for, and same with the other parts I've listed. Like I was told about a chain that cost a bit of money but it doesn't stretch out? Note this is only what I've heard, also do they make dry cell battery's for motorcycles??? any input would be a help first time bike owner...

#2 ·
i know how you feel here i bought an old track bike myself that has been down at least 3 times, it didnt run when i got it caz it sat for 6 years so the first thing you shou;d do is make sure it runs and well, these bikes are bad for 2nd gear failing so go tru the gears make sure 2nd is there and dont skip or pop out. as for tires it depends on what you plan on doing with the bike ( long highway, deals gap!) buy tires that are suitable for you talk with a mechanic and see what you all need for a safety. replace all the bearings in the bike there is 7 total 3 in the rear tire 2 in the front and 2 in the tripple (taper roller convert if you need to its about $60) go from there fyi i run a 180 series tire you need to trim the chain guard for them but they fit the spec is 160

if you have any more questions please pm me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.