636>674 Winter Build - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 188 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

I Ride: 03 674 & 07 ZX10

636>674 Winter Build

Well i figured i would start my own winter build thread so i can stop jacking Shanes build thread Well I have decided to finally dip into the engine itself and mess around a bit since I've done all the bolts on i can imagine up to this point. I ordered a brand new set of cylinders and sent them off to get bored 2mm over, honed and replated and also ordered the wiseco piston kit. I just need to split the case now and then get the right main and rod bearings ordered as since im in there might as well replace them now then later even though they still have low mileage on them. Will get the crank polished when it comes out and I'm installing a fresh 05-06 636 cylinder head on top with the newer cams aswell. Im debating around the nitrous setup if and how i want to change it but will see what kind of numbers it puts down and how the extra cc's and cams change the powerband first. Well i guess this thread would be worthless with pics so heres a few of the teardown and of course the new cylinders and pistons to hold everyone over till i get more progress done.

"Dress for the slide, NOT the ride"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 188 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:17 PM

I Ride: 08 ZX6-R S.E.

fuck you and ur big ass motor

p.s.
I still want your 636 pistons if they aren't burned up

Ex-Con Freeride: "Fight The Conviction!"

- 08 ZX6 SE
- race fairings with endurance style light
- fx35 projector retrofit with 3000k HID
- DUCATI 848 tail swap
- 636 headers with custom midpipe
- MGP Grower exhaust
- sprocket, fb screen, pures, fdb shorty levers, bmc filter
- kleen mod, jumper mod, quick release seat, wire tucked
post #3 of 188 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Better pick it up as now your gonna be farther behind me

pistons look good so we can make a deal for sure just let me know what you want to do for them

post #4 of 188 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

On a side note......Gotta say im definitely happy ive stuck with good ol' SILKOLENE as every part inside you can see still has like new brand new clear red oil on it all. One of the perks with using Silkolene is it doesnt run off parts like most oils do. Before taking motor out and apart it was sitting in garage for almost a month without being started so i was very surprised to see how well everything was still fully coated.

post #5 of 188 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:34 PM

I Ride: 06 ZX600J6 (ZZR600)

nice thread man. i was thinking of boring out my zzr this past winter but didnt find it to be very cost effective... but i guess if youve done all bolt ons you might as well go internal. maybe for my next project. great pics btw too and i am amazed as well with the oil

id rather sweat in my gear than bleed on the streets.
6.23.10 my back would have lost all its skin had i not worn my jacket. would have sustained multiple hand fractures had i not worn my CF gloves. but most importantly, woulda been dead from head impact to the curb had i not worn my helmet. ride safe, gear up
post #6 of 188 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Yeah i was going to try to get a first gen 10r this year but figured i might was well keep up the progress with my 636 and get more hp than i did with the bottle on it and then ill whoop on the liter bikes here without even touching the bottle. Especially with my weight difference and ill still conceal my bottle setup ill have the ultimate sleeper!

post #7 of 188 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Its definitely costing some cash as more i go into the project i think of things i should do while its apart but oh well better now than later. Do it right the first time

post #8 of 188 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:48 PM

I Ride: 2007 zx6r, 2008 zx10r

this looks like its gonna be another sick build thread.
post #9 of 188 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 09:08 PM

I Ride: zx6r36

Sweet. When fast just isn't fast enough.

I aint going to the morgue cuz fear is on my side. But I rot my brain out with thoughts of one wheeled suicides. On a permanent field trip every time I get on and ride. My road rash feels like it just got hit with hydrogen peroxide.
post #10 of 188 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanidream View Post
Sweet. When fast just isn't fast enough.
Well said! At first every mod makes it feel faster and then after some time it just doesnt seem fast anymore so always have to find ways to keep it going

post #11 of 188 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 09:31 PM

I Ride: 2008 Nitro ZX6R Ninja, ZX12R

Nice.... I would change the rods while your at it.

Nitro 08 ZX6R with lots of mods, ZX12R

New Toy Hauler: https://www.zxforums.com/forums/gener...oy-hauler.html
post #12 of 188 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Yeah im looking into some right now. Possibly the Carrillo connecting rods will be getting ordered. What kind of internal work you got done to yours? What kind of nitrous setup you running?

post #13 of 188 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 10:24 PM

I Ride: 06 zx14

yea, might as well put a set of rods in it. personally i would have went with JE pistons. i have heard stories about weisco pistons. some say the valve reliefs are cut at the wrong angle causing the valves to hit the piston. so i would check that real close when you put it back together. but good luck on your build let us know how it turns out. what kind of power are you hoping for?

06 zx-14. a new journey [email protected] 1/8 [email protected] 1/4 mile(horsepower) [email protected] mph 1/8 & [email protected] 1/4 (40 shot nos)
post #14 of 188 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:14 AM

I Ride: '06 ZX-6R

wow the engine still looks very clean, how old are all the internal parts?

keep pics and info coming i cant wait

Green, Black and Gold 2006 ZX-6R
post #15 of 188 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 04:01 AM

I Ride: 'o5 Widowmaker

Awesome! Leave it to a Mustang guy to think nothing of jumping in and stroking a motorcycle engine
Definitely tuning in for the numbers this one puts down!

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
post #16 of 188 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 07:52 AM

I Ride: 08 ZX6-R S.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.c.rider View Post
yea, might as well put a set of rods in it. personally i would have went with JE pistons. i have heard stories about weisco pistons. some say the valve reliefs are cut at the wrong angle causing the valves to hit the piston. so i would check that real close when you put it back together. but good luck on your build let us know how it turns out. what kind of power are you hoping for?
when we were racing our modifieds growing up we ran Weisco pistons in about 8 or 9 of our motors and NEVER had any issues with them. Idk if they are different in bikes but our experience with them was never dissappointing running 4 to 600 hp engines

Ex-Con Freeride: "Fight The Conviction!"

- 08 ZX6 SE
- race fairings with endurance style light
- fx35 projector retrofit with 3000k HID
- DUCATI 848 tail swap
- 636 headers with custom midpipe
- MGP Grower exhaust
- sprocket, fb screen, pures, fdb shorty levers, bmc filter
- kleen mod, jumper mod, quick release seat, wire tucked
post #17 of 188 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 08:13 AM

I Ride: 2008 Nitro ZX6R Ninja, ZX12R

I'm running Carrillo rods and love them, I'm also running a maunal APE CCT, and Orient Clutch. I have JE pistons and NPS Head on order. You may want to change the clutch also I know I did and was glad I did it. I have dynotunes Dual bottle 80 HP shot kit, but its only set at 50HP right now. With a Schnitz racing window switch, and controller. Also have the PC3 LCD screen to be able to change maps on the fly. However you don't really need it as you can just use the toggle switch setup, but I like the LCD and it also looks cool...

Nitro 08 ZX6R with lots of mods, ZX12R

New Toy Hauler: https://www.zxforums.com/forums/gener...oy-hauler.html
post #18 of 188 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 09:01 AM

I Ride: 07' Ninja ZX-6R

Wouldn't shotpeening the rods also be strong enough if the motor isn't going to be used strictly for NOS?

07' ZX-6R Passion Red
post #19 of 188 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

n.c rider- Ive used wiseco pistons in other applications and have had a great experience with them every time. Currently my brother has them in his highly modified Evo and hes running in the range of 600hp and it a street driven car with absolutely no issues. My uncle has them in his 2.3 Strocker in his talon thats fully build and around 500hp and is also perfect just for two examples. Thatnks for the heads up of course but wiseco products are up there at the same level as JE in my opinion.

bjn42- The internals have around 15K on them. Not a lot of miles but enough where you would think you would see some wear on a few of those parts.

JBear- yeah gotta love that need for more speed

Mega-Sounds like a good setup you have aswell. Still got the stock displacement? I have a nx tps sensor so it only activates when im at wot unlike most others kits where it sprays even if your only at half throttle. Then if it comes up to quick and high and i let off throttle before i release "the button" i cant ruin my motor. I have the dynojet hub module attached to my pc3 so i can switch between maps pretty easy but im going to order a full rapidbike setup for it and toss all my dynojet stuff out there to sell Did you change out just the friction plates or plates and springs? How does the engagement feel now with there clutch?

Ill definitely keep this thread going and pics to come

post #20 of 188 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcismo55 View Post
Wouldn't shotpeening the rods also be strong enough if the motor isn't going to be used strictly for NOS?
Ive looked and talked to a few big racers and 8 out of 10 are still running the stock rods. They all have said the stock rods are very strong and durable and i should only need to change out my pistons and everything im doing is in the right direction. The bike wont be used on the bottle constantly but will have its times im sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page