05 636.. brake fluid expanding, locking brakes? - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

05 636.. brake fluid expanding, locking brakes?

had this problem after i had the bike sitting in the winter last year and slowly tried to combat it and fix it but nothing has helped.

Whenever its hot outside or the bike is sitting idle getting warm, my front brake likes to get tighter on me. For instance, it normally has a small ammount of "give" before the brake activates, but that ammount gets smaller as the bike gets warmer. today i came home from school (hot day) and my brake fluid had expanded so much that the brake was slightly locked. could still move the bike but barely. whenever this occurs i hold the brake in and open the bleed valve on master cylinder to relieve pressure. (useful piece of information?) had this problem about 3 months ago, except it happened while i was riding. front brakes locked at about 5mph and bucked me off.. WHAT IS THIS PROBLEM?! replaced the brake lines and master cylinder, maybe its the calipers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 05:58 PM

I Ride: '05 ZX6R

brake fluid level is betweens the 2 lines, right?

2k5 Plasma Blue 636
Mods:
-1 Front Sprocket.
FE Kit, with a touch of DIY
K&N Air Filter - Installed
EBC Gold Sintered HH Front Brakes - Breaking-in
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 06:19 PM

I Ride: kawasaki 636 (05)

hmm very odd, did you change the oil? did you go with stock brake lines? it could possibly be that just maybe you have a air pocket somewhere in the line. and it could possibly be the calipers. that is a strange one you have there.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Brake level in the res. is between the 2 lines, yes.

I do have a brand new oil filter ive just been too busy to go buy some oil and change it out. Yes i replaced them with stock brake lines, but i kept the original calipers on, so im thinking maybe those are the problem. I have 2 that i guess would behoove me to put them on and find out. just gonna be a hassle to re-bleed the sysyem :/
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 07:09 PM

I Ride: kawasaki 636 (05)

its either bleed it or get bucked off again. which do you prefer?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:09 AM

I Ride: '02 CBR F4i

It is possible that you could have a problem with a caliper, but not likely. Anytime brake fluid sits for a while, it will absorb moisture (but not enough to cause a problem like yours). Did you put in fluid from a bottle that has been open (new fluid) and sitting in your shelf for a while (chill/heat factors of a bottle of fluid will attract condesation and there will be water in the bottle)?If you have changed your brake fluid, did you use the correct DOT fluid rating (ie: DOT 4, DOT 5)? Did you check your rotors for warpage? Only other thing I can think of is that there is some type of foreign debris/blockage somewhere in the line (gook at the "T" diverter).
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:20 AM

I Ride: 2001 ZX12R

I don't think its a matter of the fluid expanding from heat. Brakes get super hot all the time and the fluid can handle some pretty high temps. I think its more likely that you have some type of restriction in the system somewhere. I think the pressure builds when you apply the brakes and when you release them the pressure never goes all the way back down (something restricting it somewhere). After riding and multiple applications of the brakes the pressure is building and not releasing to the point where the brakes start to drag. Thats my guess. good luck.

Quote from a Kaw mechanic (my dad)
"Great idea, buy your kid a ninja for his last birthday."
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:37 AM

From: just down the hill from 158 corners in 12 miles.. cottonwood az
I Ride: 2000 zrx1100

was it a new master/resy or used ?

did it work for awhile after install of second resy or act up right away ?

there are two holes in the bottom of the resy......one sucks fluid into the lines when lever is pulled and one released brake pressure/fluid BACK INTO RESY to release brakes.......

are you bleeding the old fashion way (by hand) or are you useing a MITY-VAC ?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 08:58 AM

I Ride: 2005 ZX-10R

Brake fluid itself doesn't expand or contract under normal temperatures. Moisture in the system will cause the brakes to be less responsive because water is more compressible than brake fluid, even more so with air in the system. My guess is there is something wrong with the return and it is letting the pressure release and the build up is causing your brakes to lock up.

2005 ZX-10R
Akra Carbon Hex slip-on
Champs sliders
Smoke flush mounts
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:25 AM

I Ride: 2008 CBR1000RR, 2000 ZX9r sold

When the lever is completely released, there is a small hole that opens up in the master cylinder to allow the fluid to return to the reservoir. I've seen a problem like yours happen two ways. Either the piston doesn't return all the way because somethhing is holding it up, or the hole can become plugged with crap.

Sir Flower Child, Welcome Wagon Howdy Whore of ZXF

Quote:
I much prefer being on 2 wheels, more maneuverable and quicker than the pack so I can snake through the stupid. --Shifty1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 185EZ View Post
So EZ, a caveman can do it.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

The responses about how my brakes are building pressure but not fully relieve it are starting to sound very plausible. I only thought there was one hold in the reservoir though, and that was from the res to the cylinder. Is there a way to check this "return" hole and see if its clogged? could it possibly be my aftermarket brake lever not fully returning the plunger in the M.C?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 08:29 PM

I Ride: 2008 CBR1000RR, 2000 ZX9r sold

It could be just one hole that both feeds fluid to the cylinder and relieves the pressure when when the lever is fully released. The plunger has to return all the way in order to allow fluid to pass through that hole. You should actually be able to open both bleeders and watch the fluid slowly go down with nothing more than gravity if the hole is unrestricted and the plunger is all the way back.

There should be some kind of a retainer that the plunger comes up against and anything that keeps it from returning all the way would cause your problem. I would look at your aftermarket lever very closely, but it could also be crud or corrosion or even I suppose a weak return spring. I am not familiar with your model of bike, but there may even be and adjustment somewhere.

I hope this helps and you get it sorted out.

Sir Flower Child, Welcome Wagon Howdy Whore of ZXF

Quote:
I much prefer being on 2 wheels, more maneuverable and quicker than the pack so I can snake through the stupid. --Shifty1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 185EZ View Post
So EZ, a caveman can do it.

Last edited by rileydeed; 09-28-2009 at 08:33 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

total effing face palm moment, but when i took the aftermarket lever off and put my broken stock lever on, i could tell that when the aftermarket lever was on, in a neutral non braking position the plunger was slighly compressed. i havent gotten a chance to ride it and see if that fixed the problem but my old stock one sits flush and doesnt compress the plunger when its in a neutral position. if this fixes my problem i will donate 103r89327493284 dollars to this website. thanks guys!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page