ZX Forums

ZX Forums (https://www.zxforums.com/forums/)
-   ZX-6R Forum (https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-6r-forum/)
-   -   Looks like everybody gets annoyed by this.... (https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-6r-forum/21046-looks-like-everybody-gets-annoyed.html)

alwaysaswish 04-21-2009 05:23 PM

Looks like everybody gets annoyed by this....

Okay so as I have been reading through many of the threads posted, I have noticed alot of people always wondering about the ticking noise coming from their bikes.

Well I have an 09 zx6r and it runs great but it also has a ticking noise.

I am coming to find out that alot of bikes do this and as it has seemed to me that most of the times it does happen to be a problem.

I asked a few of my friends who have owned many bikes from sportbikes to cruisers and they said i should take the bike to the dealer and have them listen to it.

Well I have already gotten the 600 mile oil change done and I am still hearing the ticking.... and this ticking only happens when it is in gear moving. So when I put the clutch in the sound quits or if it is in idle.

So to make all of this rambling short has anyone heard of any problems with the new 09's and if so I am guessing it will still be covered under the one year warranty.

So if anything I would appreciate some relief about me 10g bike having problems already. I dont want to have to put another f'ing grand into the bike.

On the location of the sound it is kind of coming from the radiator are...i guess that is kind of a hard place to locate the sound considering it is all basically in a small 3x2 area haha...

But help would be much appreciated........

ps
this is at maily lower speeds like in the lower rpms of my bike and as i get faster i cant hear it anymore....

czacharyasz 04-21-2009 05:43 PM

my 09 has developed a ticking sound too...i just assumed this is normal. ive read countless other posts of others saying the same thing (not just 09's) so im not too concerned at the moment...

Shifty1 04-21-2009 06:00 PM

Kawasaki's are known for what has been named..."The Kawi Tick". SURPRISE!!

If it is a quiet tick that you only hear some of the time, it's the cam chain...and has been for the past 20 years. Valve chatter sounds differently to those that have heard it. If it is coming from the top right of the engine, it's the cam chain. Also, think of it this way...Your engine is right underneath you. You will hear a lot of things from it but, compared to cars and trucks, it seriously quiet. If you don't believe me, go out and start your car and open the hood while it is running. It's loud as hell under there. I understand that a lot of you guys are buying your first or brand new bike and that you will be prone to paranoia for a while but a slight ticking noise is normal. And if you think it's a little too loud then take it to a dealer or someone who knows about bikes and have them listen to it. But odds are, it's nothing but the old "Kawi Tick".

Now please, stop posting about it. I'm not trying to sound like a dick but threads like, "I've got this faint ticking noise...", have become a daily thing around here and it's unnecessary when it's been talked about over and over again.

kaoss_11 04-21-2009 09:45 PM

you can change the tension and the tick will go away its a thread about this. My 06 sounds like a WWII bomb. Been lazy lately, needs to also change back light leds as well

Hammerhead 04-21-2009 11:49 PM

Lots of moving, rotating, reciprocating mechanical parts add up to a bit of noise. Even a watch ticks.

BishopB 04-22-2009 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerhead (Post 142599)
Lots of moving, rotating, reciprocating mechanical parts add up to a bit of noise. Even a watch ticks.

HAHAHAHAHA :rotflmao

I have an 08 with 1080 on it.. Same damn thing!! It sounded better after the 1st oil change a lil...

SydWays 04-22-2009 12:37 PM

My 05 needed the cam chain tensioner tightened... Now she purrs...

alwaysaswish 04-22-2009 03:44 PM

haha... I understand all of your guys irritation with this subject.

But anybody that just got done spending 10g on a toy would also be worried about a problem with there bike....

And yes this is also an annoying subject to myself as well but it seems to bring a little bit more comfort when your question is answered itself....

So thanks once again guys and all help is always appreciated...

SilverSurfer87 04-22-2009 05:40 PM

get a manual cam chain adjuster...people have said that it gets rid of the noise after installation. i still need to install mine on my 07.

jwred306 04-22-2009 06:04 PM

yes the manual cam chain tensioner will fix the noise you are describing. Its pretty easy to install, the worst part was pulling the valve cover off the check the chain tension. It also fixed a surging issue I had when I installed the manual tensioner. Just make sure not to over tighten it. Part is only about $60.00

alwaysaswish 04-22-2009 06:42 PM

Thanks guys.... cuz i will tell ya what.... that tick is pretty damn annoying....

Moscap87 04-22-2009 06:50 PM

keep in mind fuel injectors make a tick when activated too.
otherwise +1 to shifty