2002 ZX6R: Surging and Bogging Question - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

2002 ZX6R: Surging and Bogging Question

Hey all, so I just picked up a zx6r with 17k miles on it. It had been sitting a couple years, and even with new gas, it would start, but if you touched the throttle it would bog and die instantly. I asked the owner to put some SeaFoam in it, then I opened throttle wide and started it. I was able to maintain about 4-5k for 4-5 minutes. It then stayed running, but would bog for about a second before revving up (made starting at a light very interesting). I had to drive it home with choke wide open, but it would go any speed and RPM on freeway.

Anyway, so when you let off the throttle, it surges about 2k above where you left off, no matter what gear you are in.

What do you guys think? Bogs down with initial throttle, only runs choke wide open, and surges very bad when letting off the throttle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 06:02 AM

Depending on how it was put away before those couple of years it could be the carbs are gummed up and need to be cleaned by hand.

Or there could be some rubber that is cracked and there is a vacuum leak.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

That's what I was thinking. I'll pull the carbs and tear them down for a good clean. Check the vac lines too. It idles high, but there's so much screwed up on it right now (including the choke having to be open), that it's going to need to be gone through systematically.

Appreciate the response. I always join a forum for every vehicle I've owned. This is probably my 30-something forum account. :P
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Used this write up here: http://www.kawiforums.com/zzr600-zx-...up-w-pics.html

Turns out 1-4 of my pilot jets were more than 3/4 blocked with "varnished" gasoline. Main jets 1, 2 and 4 were halfway blocked or more. This thing will fly when I get it back together. :P

I'll check out the vacuum hoses, too, but I read that running with choke wide open as I was doing will also cause surging when off throttle. Sound right to you guys?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys!

Cleaned up the carbs today. The pilot jets were all completely blocked with old gas. No wonder it needed choke wide open to run. Main jets were blocked more than 50% on 1, 2, and 4. Main jet 3 was blocked about 50%.

I also changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, fuel filter, oiled the ignition so the key slid in easy, and removed some ghetto florescent lights under the tail. Bike runs tip top, only needs about 15 seconds choke and 15 - 30 seconds off choke to take off. Very, very happy with it. Glad to have brought another beat up and forgotten bike back on the road. Here are some pics (I also have a 2005 Daytona 955i was getting help from the Triumph forum I am on, don't mind the hosting).

Dirty air filter was literally falling apart.

Fuel tank off.

Down to the carbs.

Outside of jets dirty.

Old gas in the float bowl cover.

All cleaned up!

Last edited by ZohanisBack; 04-11-2014 at 12:15 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 05:23 AM

Awesome job. I can't see your pictures though.

Can you use a free image host like imgur.com and repost?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

My bad, I will change those images out right now. Here's a video I also uploaded of the bike, too. :)

http://youtu.be/vvA9tzC-h6k
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 12:41 PM

Damn those carbs look clean now.

Your bike looks good in the video. I did notice your brake fluid being really dark in color, you might want to change it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page