zx14 vs zx12 vs zx10 - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

I Ride: 07 zx6r (black)

zx14 vs zx12 vs zx10

I was just wondering how these bikes compared or if they do at all i have been thinking of buying a bigger bike just dont know what i want yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2007, 08:41 AM

I Ride: 07 Candy Plasma Blue ZX-14

If you wan't superbike performance, blistering acceleration, gravity defying lean angle and so on, go for the 10

If you wan't to go long distance, comfy seats, loads of torque and power, and the most powerful production bike in the world then go for the 14.

That's as simple explanation i can give you. Wouldn't want to bore you with a very long list. Sorry can't comment on the 12. Haven't ridden one just yet.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:54 PM

I Ride: 07' ZX-14, 93' FJ1200 and your Mama

You may want to seriously consider your size (as far as the 10 goes ) it is a very compact small bike! Two of my better riding buddies have a 10 and a 12 I have the 14, I can ride the 12 comfortably but the 10 is just to small for me I'm 6'2" 220lbs and my knees won't even fit into the recess at the side of the tank. just a thought. I also still like the 12 but think it is starting to show it's age still a great bike though. That's all just personal taste at that piont. They are all capable of extreme speeds and handle very well the 14 and 12 are a little more straight line performers but can still carve a decent corner relative to the average riders abilities. Good luck with your choice you can't loose from the picks you have.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:07 PM

lol i know its an old thread lol but hey , who said the zzr1400 is faster than the zx12 lol lol well maybe the newer one, but its not when you compare it to its unrestricted brother . oh and it also boots the busass into touch too. it also handles better .
Old 06-09-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrite View Post
lol i know its an old thread lol but hey , who said the zzr1400 is faster than the zx12 lol lol well maybe the newer one, but its not when you compare it to its unrestricted brother . oh and it also boots the busass into touch too. it also handles better .
It doesnt say that anywhere in this thread the zzr14 is faster, however Scavenger did mention that it (the 14) is the most powerful production bike which at the time it was or is whatever,and he even went as far as to say he couldnt comment on the 12 because he hadnt ever riden one. But just to egg you on (cause I'm funny like that) I have yet to be beat by a stock 12 my best friend has an 00 12r with a stretch and head kit, and pc and runs race fuel and I can still take him with my piped pc'd 14 so I would argue it is faster or at the very least as fast.

Sir Skripper Chasin, Greasemokeyin, Reach around Post Whore of ZXF...with a side "Bag of DOUCHETARD"
AKA to Big Russ..."Sir Ball Busting, Geriatric Bashing Whore of ZXF"
Old 06-10-2010, 02:53 AM

I Ride: 06zx14,06zx14

well i've had both.the 14 is much stronger in the bottom and midrange.the 12 is stronger top end .it would clear 300kph quite easy and the 14 kinda runs out of steam around 300kph.they handle similar but the 12 has a better suspenson.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:32 AM

I Ride: AN AMAZING MACHINE

i havent ridden either so dont take this the wrong way but why do you say the suspension is better on the 12 better for what or who. If the 12's suspinsion is truly better then why is kawasaki down grading. Maybe you did not (or do not since I see you are currently riding the 14) have the suspension set up properly for you. From everything that I have read and heard the 14 has an awesome suspension when its set up properly for the rider

Sir Lane Splittin, Lesbo Lickin, SUPER EXTREME Post SLUT of ZXF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrzxter View Post
Hold on, I'll start a thread on it and come back with what I find out...........
Old 06-14-2010, 11:25 PM

I have riden them both and say they are similar in suspension but find the 14 to be more comfortable and when set to the rider it handles as well or better given all the variables are the same tires, stretch,etc. but to each his own ....

.......One mans comfort is another s torture...

Sir Skripper Chasin, Greasemokeyin, Reach around Post Whore of ZXF...with a side "Bag of DOUCHETARD"
AKA to Big Russ..."Sir Ball Busting, Geriatric Bashing Whore of ZXF"
Old 06-14-2010, 11:37 PM

I Ride: 2009 ZX14 Monster Ed.

i would buy the 10 and save a few bucks and get more mpg if i didn't want the fastest funnest toughest bike around......obviously the 14

Cheers,
LocoCabron
Money canīt buy happiness, but i prefer crying in a Lamborghini.
I prefer Motorcycle racing because football, baseball, bowling and golf only require one ball!
2009 ZX14 Monster Ed.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORMAN View Post
i havent ridden either so dont take this the wrong way but why do you say the suspension is better on the 12 better for what or who. If the 12's suspinsion is truly better then why is kawasaki down grading. Maybe you did not (or do not since I see you are currently riding the 14) have the suspension set up properly for you. From everything that I have read and heard the 14 has an awesome suspension when its set up properly for the rider
you obviously haven,t ridden either then you would know what i'm talking about.the 12 is more of of a sport bike and the 14 more of a sport tourer.i've played around with the suspension a whole bunch of ways and with the bumpy roads we have up here even on full stiff it still bottoms out and there 's no problem with the 12.i just got back from a ride where i borrowed my old 12 and rode it back to back with the 14.i'll still say the 12 handles better but the 14 is smoother running.up to 7000rpm the 14 will wipe the floor with the 12 after that bye bye 14 the 12 is gone.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:26 PM

I Ride: AN AMAZING MACHINE

i was just bringing up points that i wanted answered i was planning on buying one or the other thanks for answering some of my points

Sir Lane Splittin, Lesbo Lickin, SUPER EXTREME Post SLUT of ZXF

Quote:
Hold on, I'll start a thread on it and come back with what I find out...........
Old 06-19-2010, 07:38 PM

I Ride: ninjas 6&14

The twelve has a powerband more like a liter bike- so it feels faster on the top end- when in reality it is just weaker down low- so when the power hits it seems harder. Break out the timers not the seat of the pants and see. ALso the 12 grinds the fairing wings way before the 14 does- and has a more top heavy feel. I love them both, but the 10 or the 14 outdo the 12.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:40 AM

best time on the 12 was [email protected],so far with the 14 [email protected] but with a headwind.i ran the 12 for 3 years and race a bunch of 14s,always ran around the same ets but the 12 always went through the traps with more mph.i'm finding the 14 struggles to hit 300kph but my old 12 would blow by 300 and stop somewhere around 335,i know there is speedometer error,but both bikes have the error,they are both -1 in front.i'm thinking about buying the 12 back for a second bike. i run my bikes unstraped or lowered so i know i could be quicker.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:53 AM

I Ride: 2006 Kawasaki ZX14 stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx996 View Post
best time on the 12 was [email protected],so far with the 14 [email protected] but with a headwind.i ran the 12 for 3 years and race a bunch of 14s,always ran around the same ets but the 12 always went through the traps with more mph.i'm finding the 14 struggles to hit 300kph but my old 12 would blow by 300 and stop somewhere around 335,i know there is speedometer error,but both bikes have the error,they are both -1 in front.i'm thinking about buying the 12 back for a second bike. i run my bikes unstraped or lowered so i know i could be quicker.
I really believe that there are bike to bike differences in power and think that may be what you are experiencing here. I have not seen 12's beat 14's with any regularity with all things being equal. Me thinks you had a fast 12 and maybe have a slow 14. Not that anything about a 14 is slow but I think you get my jist here.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbimm View Post
I really believe that there are bike to bike differences in power and think that may be what you are experiencing here. I have not seen 12's beat 14's with any regularity with all things being equal. Me thinks you had a fast 12 and maybe have a slow 14. Not that anything about a 14 is slow but I think you get my jist here.
could be ,i was very disapointed in the 14 1/4 times,thinking wtf the 12 was faster than this,but it such a smooth comfy bike i'll put up with it being a tick slower,plus it makes more power in the right places 3000 to 7000rpm.could be i had a fast 12 like you said,drove a couple others that were'nt as fast.got some two brothers slip on and a pc111 for the 14,will see how much differance they make.if anything the pipes are quite a bite lighter than than stockers,just too loud but what ya gonna do?
Old 06-20-2010, 10:39 AM

I Ride: 'o5 Widowmaker

ZX12/14/busa/crapshoot. Rider's race, mods, luck, weather in the clock.

ZX10? Whole other category. That it's even remotely competitive with them at all is only a curious circumstance. Call it the semantics of the cup half empty vs. half full argument if you want, but I think it's more accurate to call it a really fast middleweight than a really light heavyweight. Because that even sounds stupid. The 'busa was king. For YEARS. Many think it still is. Whatever. The ZX12 was made to take it down a notch, then the ZX14 was made for the same purpose. It could be argued that it didn't really do it any better, just different. It could also be argued that they both did, or that neither did. It's that close.
I have always inferred a fundamentally different vibe from any test that throws a 10R into the ring with them, and it's something akin to "journalists" who dream up silly (if entertaining and even sometimes profoundly enlightening) shootouts like pitting exotic supercars against fighter jets. It's not a viable comparison, it's a "hey, this could be interesting..." or like those animal geeks who try to figure out which of two badass animals like an African Lion or a Great White Shark who would never meet in nature or have anything in common but predatory instincts would win a fight.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Old 06-20-2010, 11:00 AM

I Ride: fat chicks

It all depends on what type of riding you want to do. If you want to do cross-country trips, you don't want a 10 or 6. If you plan on doing track days, you don't want a 14. If you plan on doing relatively short outings, city driving and an occasional track day, the 10 is probably your best bet. It all depends on the type of riding you plan to do. I initially bought a 6 with the full intention of becoming a track junkie. I still haven't made it to a track and I find myself wanting to take long, scenic trips more than twisty carvin lately. And I still have 2 yrs left to pay on the bike. Just consider what type of riding you would like to do most and get the right tool for the job.

(did I mention I rode a 14 )

[SIGPIC]http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...0z74sk_400.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Sent from my laptop using the recliner app.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:24 AM
EZ Rider

I Ride: 2014 ZX14R

Garage
Quote:
Old people tend to repeat themselves

December 2011 ROTM winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by massa222000 View Post
YOU'RE F - KING AWESOME!!!
Old 06-20-2010, 11:30 AM
EZ Rider

I Ride: 2014 ZX14R

Garage
Quote:
It all depends on what type of riding you want to do. If you want to do cross-country trips, you don't want a 10 or 6. If you plan on doing track days, you don't want a 14. If you plan on doing relatively short outings, city driving and an occasional track day, the 10 is probably your best bet. It all depends on the type of riding you plan to do. I initially bought a 6 with the full intention of becoming a track junkie. I still haven't made it to a track and I find myself wanting to take long, scenic trips more than twisty carvin lately. And I still have 2 yrs left to pay on the bike. Just consider what type of riding you would like to do most and get the right tool for the job.

I disagree.
I could EZily turn my 14 into the fastest track bike and beat anyone out there hands down and then just buy any ol 6 or 10 and put a gel seat on it and turn it into a cross country tourer.

December 2011 ROTM winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by massa222000 View Post
YOU'RE F - KING AWESOME!!!
Old 06-20-2010, 11:33 AM

I Ride: fat chicks

[SIGPIC]http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...0z74sk_400.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Sent from my laptop using the recliner app.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in