Riding my new ZX14 from Atlanta to NYC THIS WEEK! Am I nuts? - Page 4 - ZX Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

So it looks like this bike is officially a lemon. That or it's a project bike for someone who likes to Tinker. I've been there before and that's actually how I learned a lot about bikes. My first bike was some 20 years old KLR 250 which had been left in a barn for probably years. It was a perfect bike for me to learn on. I had electrical issues, fuel issues, you name it.

However right now I just want to ride. I was not looking for a project bike. I understand that buying a modified bike is not generally a good idea but it only had 800 miles on it. These Japanese bikes in my opinion are bulletproof or so I thought. They can take years and years and thousands of miles of abuse I mainly you just change the oil and they just keep on running. Additionally the seller is an expert in the ZX14 so I trust it that I wouldn't have to worry about things like this. I would never ever consider buying a modified bike like this from anybody else.

So the chain was adjusted but then after about 60 miles it was hitting the pipe again. I know not same day I got stranded again for a little bit because the clutch wouldn't disengage fully. So with the clutch lever squeezed in all the way the bike was rolling.

I've never worked on a hydraulic clutch I know and I know knows anything about hydraulic clutches so I don't know what to do. All I know is I just spent $160 to have a shop look at the bike and tell me whether things are good to go and it broke down the same day I picked it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:30 AM
EZ Rider

I Ride: 2014 ZX14R

Garage
That sux.
Maybe things will settle down after you go through everything
Unfortunately it sounds like those 800 miles were put on 1/4 mile at a time.
Chain shouldn't be stretching like that unless it's completely wore out.
Make sure your adjustment bolts are tight against the blocks
I replace tires more often than adjusting the chain

December 2011 ROTM winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by massa222000 View Post
YOU'RE F - KING AWESOME!!!
post #63 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Previous owner said it's a new chain and will do that for a bit before it stops. Dealer says it has bad spots already and should be replaced. Smh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 185EZ View Post
That sux.
Maybe things will settle down after you go through everything
Unfortunately it sounds like those 800 miles were put on 1/4 mile at a time.
Chain shouldn't be stretching like that unless it's completely wore out.
Make sure your adjustment bolts are tight against the blocks
I replace tires more often than adjusting the chain
post #64 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:39 AM

I Ride: 2010 ZX-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfastlife View Post
Previous owner said it's a new chain and will do that for a bit before it stops. Dealer says it has bad spots already and should be replaced. Smh
Like you, I bought my bike with very low miles. Mine had 772 miles when I bought it in 2012.

I adjusted and lubed my drive chain last June before I rode to Deals Gap, Tail of the Dragon. Spent a week riding absolutely everywhere in that beautiful area. At the end of the week I lubed my drive chain again and rode back to Philadelphia, a total of 1,800 miles.

My point is, I haven't touched my drive chain adjustment, not even once, since I went to Deals Gap last June.

Last edited by KoflaOlivieri; 05-28-2019 at 08:13 AM.
post #65 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:08 AM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

Quote:
When you get two different stories like that, one has to be pure bs.

To discover who's full of it or lying or ignorant, check your manual for the service limit length and measure it yourself to see if the chain's shot or not. Either that or flip a coin to decide who to believe, because if you don' know, you don't know.
Chevy Fan Attic likes this.

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
post #66 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Chain is now at the 2nd to last tick of adjustment. I had to adjust again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoflaOlivieri View Post
Quote:
Like you, I bought my bike with very low miles. Mine had 772 miles when I bought it in 2012.

I adjusted and lubed my drive chain last June before I rode to Deals Gap, Tail of the Dragon. Spent a week riding absolutely everywhere in that beautiful area. At the end of the week I lubed my drive chain again and rode back to Philadelphia, a total of 1,800 miles.

My point is, I haven't touched my drive chain adjustment, not even once, since I went to Deals Gap last June.
post #67 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Bike at 1800 miles now

Quote:
Chain is now at the 2nd to last tick of adjustment. I had to adjust again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoflaOlivieri View Post
Quote:

post #68 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:43 PM
EZ Rider

Garage
Sounds like you got things squared away and enjoying the ride

Quote:
post #69 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:35 PM

I Ride: 2013 ZX 1400 R.

Quote:
Bike at 1800 miles now
Every bike I have owned except the 2 14,s Have had tight spots in the chain, even ater replacing the chain and sprokets in a short amount of time they had them. In my case they developed from doing clutch dumps to do a burn out, If and when it happens you need to get the back wheel up off the ground and get the chain fairly tight and by spinning the rear wheel find the tight spot and adjust the chain at that point,
post #70 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
So it looks like this bike is officially a lemon. That or it's a project bike for someone who likes to Tinker. I've been there before and that's actually how I learned a lot about bikes. My first bike was some 20 years old KLR 250 which had been left in a barn for probably years. It was a perfect bike for me to learn on. I had electrical issues, fuel issues, you name it.

However right now I just want to ride. I was not looking for a project bike. I understand that buying a modified bike is not generally a good idea but it only had 800 miles on it. These Japanese bikes in my opinion are bulletproof or so I thought. They can take years and years and thousands of miles of abuse I mainly you just change the oil and they just keep on running. Additionally the seller is an expert in the ZX14 so I trust it that I wouldn't have to worry about things like this. I would never ever consider buying a modified bike like this from anybody else.

So the chain was adjusted but then after about 60 miles it was hitting the pipe again. I know not same day I got stranded again for a little bit because the clutch wouldn't disengage fully. So with the clutch lever squeezed in all the way the bike was rolling.

I've never worked on a hydraulic clutch I know and I know knows anything about hydraulic clutches so I don't know what to do. All I know is I just spent $160 to have a shop look at the bike and tell me whether things are good to go and it broke down the same day I picked it up.
To be clear, a lemon is a vehicle that comes new with defects and problems that are more expensive to fix than replacement or a refund, which most lemon laws require when that trigger is tripped. I don't believe you will get either from the seller, despite his "expertise"

To be honest, what I think you have is a clapped-out ex racebike that has been run so hard that you're going to spend all your time, effort and treasure chasing one problem after another until it's either completely rebuilt or you give up and get rid of it.

There are buttloads of low-mile garage queens for cheap out there and you went way out on a limb when you bought what you did. Unfortunately that limb is breaking off and you're still trying to hold on. I'd wish you luck, but so far, luck hasn't helped at all.

post #71 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:51 PM

I Ride: 2013 ZX 1400 R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
To be clear, a lemon is a vehicle that comes new with defects and problems that are more expensive to fix than replacement or a refund, which most lemon laws require when that trigger is tripped. I don't believe you will get either from the seller, despite his "expertise"

To be honest, what I think you have is a clapped-out ex racebike that has been run so hard that you're going to spend all your time, effort and treasure chasing one problem after another until it's either completely rebuilt or you give up and get rid of it.

There are buttloads of low-mile garage queens for cheap out there and you went way out on a limb when you bought what you did. Unfortunately that limb is breaking off and you're still trying to hold on. I'd wish you luck, but so far, luck hasn't helped at all.
Well said Hammer.
post #72 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

I've already jumped of this train ride for reasons you suggest. I'm done. Keep in mind the point of buying the bike was for content. I was to capture the adventure of buying a bike and riding 800 miles. There were a lot of elements that would have made for a lot of interesting content that things worked out as I planned. Unfortunately it's now going to be a cautionary tale of what not to do when buying a used motorcycle. I will use my example to save many of the writers from experiencing what I did or perhaps worse. I already did a video going over all of the red flags on the bike had I actually have the opportunity to inspect it in person before purchasing it.

This was a very unique scenario considering this was a Content creation attempt however much of the situation is applicable to normal used by purchasing. I basically shot a detailed inspection of the bike going over all of the warning signs that would have correctly advised a buyer to stay away.

I'm now also adding to the list fluid clarity. They sure potential sign of a bike that has not been taken care of is in how dark the brake fluid clutch fluid and engine oil are. That alone is not reason for alarm but when you add it all up the big picture and the story that is presented is where you make your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
Quote:

post #73 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:14 AM

The original tale of woe.

post #74 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 07:55 PM
EZ Rider

Garage
Not sure why he's keeping Ricky Gadsen out of the picture
The bike was used and abused and should never have been sold to the public
Here's your bike in action
https://www.cycledrag.com/rickey-gad...rs-of-all-time

Quote:
post #75 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 03:47 AM

One gentle owner-Ben Hur

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page