HA! Touche

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 05:13 AM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by olajoe808 View Post
What people new to owning a motorcycle should do if they haven't already is take a small engine repair class. Then pick up a small engine open it up and become familiar with how it ticks. In the long run it can amount to greater enjoyment in having the knowledge, and skill to do the maintenance on your terms and time. There's a certain satisfaction in knowing what's between your legs. I've said this before perhaps it's worth a repeat. With all the hp in the world there's one contender you lose sight of and there's no amount going to help.

A high-school physics class wouldn't hurt. either.

You can flip any formula back and forth on one side or the other of the = sign, but it doesn't change a thing.p if you can't get it.

Years ago, at the local bike drags, a 500cc Vincent Comet engine in a laydown frame put all the Japanese 4-cylinder machines on the trailer. It didn't do it with superior horsepower because it didn't have it. It did it with superior torque. And nor necessarily MORE torque, just more torque earlier in the rev range. In this case, horsepower didn't mean shit, must less being the only thing that mattered, It really didn't matter at all.

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
post #83 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 10:41 AM

I Ride: 2015 ZX14R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
OK, simply put, torque can exist without movement but horsepower (work) cannot. Torque+movement (rpm) produces horsepower.

So to say torque means nothing or less compared to horsepower is ludicrous. Horsepower cannot exist without torque.

What??? A 75W light bulb is 0.1HP. I guess you could argue the electrons are moving but there is no torque. Torque exists for us because are engines rotate. Some propulsion does not rotate and therefore doesnít have a torque value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboat View Post
Torque is a number to relate to how much work something can do... horsepower is how fast can it do that work... to win races, you need both.. enough torque to move your ride down the track, and enough hp to do it in a timely manner...

J

Torque is just a rotational force. It doesnít specify how much work (energy) something can do...

Let me illustrate my point. My 1500kg car can accelerate at 1g (on average). Assuming no losses, how much average torque do I make? How much HP do I make?
post #84 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 03:11 PM

A light bulb has no horsepower. The formula you are referring to, which is the relationship between watts and horsepower is for electric motors, not light bulbs. Torque is a factor in any calculation of horsepower. Basic physics.

When you torque a bolt or nut with a torque wrench, as you reach the proper torque, you stop pulling the wrench harder and hold it. This is a simple example of torque without motion. Horsepower needs motion (rotation) to exist. Unless your horses are resting.
johnboat likes this.

post #85 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 04:48 AM

I Ride: 'o5 Widowmaker

HP is an archaic and ridiculous way to measure work. I prefer to rate things in monkeypower.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
post #86 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 07:14 AM
EZ Rider

I Ride: 2014 ZX14R

Garage
hp vs tq
RLB1100 likes this.

December 2011 ROTM winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by massa222000 View Post
YOU'RE F - KING AWESOME!!!
post #87 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 01:44 PM

Torque = moving chit
HP= how fast you move chit
Zx14r = moving chit very fast!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
post #88 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 05:06 PM

QUOTE=Hammerhead;4001370]A light bulb has no horsepower. The formula you are referring to, which is the relationship between watts and horsepower is for electric motors, not light bulbs. [/QUOTE]

This is ludicrous.

Quote:
A light bulb has no horsepower. The formula you are referring to, which is the relationship between watts and horsepower is for electric motors, not light bulbs. Torque is a factor in any calculation of horsepower. Basic physics.

When you torque a bolt or nut with a torque wrench, as you reach the proper torque, you stop pulling the wrench harder and hold it. This is a simple example of torque without motion. Horsepower needs motion (rotation) to exist. Unless your horses are resting.

Power is power. HP is work done per unit time, just like Watts or even Joules per second (I.e. power). These arenít special equations only applicable to electric motors. In fact, this may blow your mind, but as you do work over time (like walk upstairs), you are creating HP (or Watts, if you prefer). Crazy, right??

A light bulb uses horsepower or Watts or whatever units you prefer. This is like saying lbs (pounds mass) arenít weight, only kilograms are weight. Watts are power and HP is power. They both refer to work per unit time.

Some equations for you:

Work = force x distance
Power = (force x distance)/time = work/time

You are right that torque doesnít require rotation to exist...

We are getting off topic so letís try another example. I have a 1HP electric motor lifting an elevator weighing 1000kg. How fast can I lift the elevator? How much torque do I need?

Again, you will see that torque doesnít show up in any of the equations.

I hate to pull this card, but I should mention that I have a graduate degree in engineering and design these systems daily. Of course this doesnít mean I canít be wrong but hopefully it gives me some credibility :-)
post #89 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 06:37 PM

That reminds me of something my Dad said once while I was growing up. My great-grandfather was a Baptist minister, lived to be ninety-something. Outlived three wives, which is neither here nor there. Regardless, he read encyclopedias like novels, and Bibles like encyclopedias. Literally wore the damn things right out, stack of Bibles just falling apart from all the reading, studying, outlining and note-taking. One day, I forget what I was asking him about, but my Dad's response- talking about his grandfather- was that he was "so spiritually minded that he was no earthly good". So it goes.
johnboat likes this.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
post #90 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskys2night1 View Post
Torque = moving chit
HP= how fast you move chit
Zx14r = moving chit very fast!

Finally, a comment that sums things up. ;-)

ominousone
post #91 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTJ View Post
QUOTE=Hammerhead;4001370]A light bulb has no horsepower. The formula you are referring to, which is the relationship between watts and horsepower is for electric motors, not light bulbs.
This is ludicrous.

Power is power. HP is work done per unit time, just like Watts or even Joules per second (I.e. power). These arenít special equations only applicable to electric motors. In fact, this may blow your mind, but as you do work over time (like walk upstairs), you are creating HP (or Watts, if you prefer). Crazy, right??

A light bulb uses horsepower or Watts or whatever units you prefer. This is like saying lbs (pounds mass) arenít weight, only kilograms are weight. Watts are power and HP is power. They both refer to work per unit time.

Some equations for you:

Work = force x distance
Power = (force x distance)/time = work/time

You are right that torque doesnít require rotation to exist...

We are getting off topic so letís try another example. I have a 1HP electric motor lifting an elevator weighing 1000kg. How fast can I lift the elevator? How much torque do I need?

Again, you will see that torque doesnít show up in any of the equations.

I hate to pull this card, but I should mention that I have a graduate degree in engineering and design these systems daily. Of course this doesnít mean I canít be wrong but hopefully it gives me some credibility :-)[/QUOTE]

And now back to electric motors where power is converted to watts. Before you can do that, you need to calculate horsepower and convert. Still requires a torque measurement. Convert the watts to horsepower and you're back to square one; Torque is the force behind horsepower. No horsepower without torque.The opposite is not true as you have admitted torque can exist without hp. I'm done beating this dead horse that has no power because it can generate no torque.
johnboat likes this.

post #92 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 06:12 AM

And please tell me what work a light bulb does. Work involves motion, or are you going to argue work is everything and motion is meaningless?
johnboat likes this.

post #93 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 04:03 PM

HH, as a flaming liberal I am surprised by your lack of adherence to post-modernist philosophy.

I KID! I kid. Seriously, drunk post.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
post #94 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
And please tell me what work a light bulb does. Work involves motion, or are you going to argue work is everything and motion is meaningless?

Great question. In this case work is in the transfer of energy from one form to another (heat and light). A light bulb is a sink, just like an electric motor. It takes in power for this conversion.

A 75 watt lightbulb does 75 Joules of work per second. A joule is a unit of work and in this case is expressed as a Coulomb times a volt.

This light could also be said to be using 0.1HP.
post #95 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 04:39 AM

I Ride: ZX11d Current... had 1984 GPz1100

Alright guys... going to put this debate to bed... my old mechanic explained torque to me back in 1985, while putting a crank in my old GPz 1100... he said, " You know when you wake up early in the morning, after a night of drinking beer at the bar and later having sex with the cute little bartender chick, and you stumble into her bathroom to do that early morning piss, but have that early morning wood... since you just met her you don't want to piss into her shower stall, so you stand in front of the toilet and try your best to push it down towards the toilet opening, only to have your feet slide backwards instead....? That is torque my friend..."

Best mechanic I ever met...coke bottle glasses, but had my crank in and bike running by lunch time...

J
blueskys2night1 likes this.
post #96 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 12:16 PM

Last edited by olajoe808; 01-05-2018 at 12:21 PM.
post #97 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboat View Post
Alright guys... going to put this debate to bed... my old mechanic explained torque to me back in 1985, while putting a crank in my old GPz 1100... he said, " You know when you wake up early in the morning, after a night of drinking beer at the bar and later having sex with the cute little bartender chick, and you stumble into her bathroom to do that early morning piss, but have that early morning wood... since you just met her you don't want to piss into her shower stall, so you stand in front of the toilet and try your best to push it down towards the toilet opening, only to have your feet slide backwards instead....? That is torque my friend..."

Best mechanic I ever met...coke bottle glasses, but had my crank in and bike running by lunch time...

J
This bike pulls better than when I was 14........r

post #98 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
HH, as a flaming liberal I am surprised by your lack of adherence to post-modernist philosophy.

I KID! I kid. Seriously, drunk post.
I am a social liberal and a fiscal conservative. Party on, but pay the phuckin bills.

Going out now to find some high-horsepower lightbulbs. My can lights are way too slow.

post #99 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 04:37 PM

Hahaha! I was so drunk I forgot I posted that. But not so drunk that I don't remember. That was why I was kidding- I never believed you were a flaming liberal.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
post #100 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 05:27 PM

I've been called worse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page